What is a Favicon and Why Should Your Blog Have One?
A favicon is short for “favorite icon.” It is the little image you see in your browser tab next to the name of the website you are viewing. All favicons are the same size: 16×16 pixels. The one for Life Learning Today blog is:
The reason why you want to have one is for branding purposes. People will get to know your favicon and can quickly switch to your site on one of their browser tabs simply by recognizing your favicon. They will also be able to quickly spot it in their list of bookmarks. So now that you see the value in doing this the next step is how to get a favicon image. It’s really easy and free. Here’s how:
How to Create Your own Favicon for Your WordPress Blog
The easiest way is to go to Favicon.cc. Here you can create your favicon in one of 4 ways:
- Create one from scratch using their design tool. You fill in each pixel separately with the colors you want. Very easy to use.
- Search for one that is already created by typing in search words for the types of images you want.
- Customize a favicon that you find through searching. Once you find one you can adjust the colors very easily.
- Upload an image and they will convert it to favicon size for you. You can customize that image too.
How to Install a Favicon for Your WordPress Blog
- Once you have your favicon image at Favicon.cc then click on “Download Favicon.”
- Upload the favicon image via FTP to your webhost. Use the “html” or “public_html” folder.
- In your WordPress dashboard click on “Editor” under “Appearance.”
- Locate the “header.php” file and edit by adding this code: (make sure your image is named “favicon.ico”)
- Save your changes to “header.php.”
- Go to your site and do a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5 keys) to see your favicon in your browser tab.
<linkrel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >
Did you like this article? Please see below to print, email, bookmark, or share socially! Thanks!