don't feel like running

Consider not running.

That may not be the answer you were looking for…or maybe it is! :-) Either way, if you are a regular runner and you feel yourself dreading your run each day, you may need a day or even a week break from running.

And here’s the good news: It will likely be good for you to take that break! Here’s why:

Mentally

Like other areas in our life, in our running we can get into a mental rut. Maybe you engage in negative self talk during your run. Maybe your running has become just one more task you must complete on your to-do list. Taking a 1 day, 1 week or whatever length break you need can give you the mental space needed to reconnect with why you run in  the first place.

Pretty soon you’ll be reminiscing about running like an old lover that you want to return to. That’s when you’ll know it’s the right time to return. And when you do return remember to nourish your “relationship with running” just like you would nourish a real relationship. Appreciate what it give you, be grateful for it’s benefits, and find a way to enjoy it by being present during the run.

Physically

While you take a break from running use this time to alternately rest your body and explore other ways to move and challenge your body. You might try swimming, biking, tennis, weightlifting, basketball, gardening, hiking, interval training like PX90, or my favorite: belly dancing! Take a yoga class or an online dance class with BellyDance Super Star Ansuya!

Take the pressure off yourself about “I must run or else _____________ will happen:

• get fat
  • lose my running legs
  • never run again
  • be in a bad mood
  • world will collapse

These will not happen.

Just decide, accept that you are not doomed if you take a day or even a week off.

Be a pioneer in your life instead. Discover other ways to move your body and your running will be enhanced! You won’t lose anything even if you don’t run for a week or two.

By challenging your body in new ways you just may find your running improves.

Mine did!

Please Share

What happens when you take time off? How have you or how can you make it work for you? I would love to hear your thoughts!

If you found this valuable, please share it on Twitter, Facebook or via email. Thank you!

photo by: Evil Erin

Comments

1. 1
    Ann
    May 11th, 2013 at 10:08 pm

This is great advice. People should feel like it is okay to take a day off from anything!

2. 2
    AgentSully
    May 26th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Yes, Ann, we all need a day off from our routines. It keeps us fresh, rejuvenated, and lets creativity spring alive. What do you like to take a break from?

3. 3
    Christy
    July 11th, 2013 at 5:51 pm

I love this – I recently had to take several weeks off from running because of a foot injury. I was angry because I was just getting back into running. But it forced me to think of other ways to get active, and now I’m doing yoga, swimming, biking… and actually enjoying my workouts a lot more.

4. 4
    AgentSully
    July 11th, 2013 at 6:11 pm

@christy – That’s awesome! Love your website name. Looks like good content too. Stay in touch!

5. 5
    philip michigan
    September 1st, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Yes running is the best exercise for me, i do this 3-4 times a week. I feel more confidence for my self.

6. 6
    Merike
    January 13th, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Running is the easiest thing – you just have to do it! :)

7. 7
    AgentSully
    January 13th, 2014 at 7:43 pm

@Merike –
    I think of running as easy as compared to a boot camp class or to weight lifting or even to a strenuous yoga class, because it can be easy on the mind. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    But sometimes it can be difficult if you need some variety in your routine.
    And of course running is always harder than sitting on the couch!
    Like your blog! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

8. 8
    Merike
    January 14th, 2014 at 3:16 am

Thank you, AgentSully! Your blog is very inspiring!

I do agree that running may be sometimes monotonous, but if you think that every day is different, you are different, weather varies, you can change the route, pace, music, outfit :)… etc

9. 9
    AgentSully
    January 14th, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Thanks Merike!
    You are so right that running (and life for that matter) are as varied as we choose to perceive it! And for me there’s nothing quite like the feeling after I’ve completed a run. It just feels so good!