Productivity Journey: 30 Days of Getting Things Done!

Up the winding path
Creative Commons License photo credit: Steve-h
Do you have some tasks that you’ve been putting off? Do they weigh on your mind?  It could be a project, individual tasks, a phone call, or even a conversation you need to have with someone. Do you feel bad about not getting those tasks done? Do you feel a little hopeless about ever getting them done because you’ve procrastinated for so long now? How would you like to shed your bad feelings and finally get some of those tasks done? If so, then please join me on my Productivity Journey. Here’s what it’s all about:

What Is the Productivity Journey?

Over the next month you are invited on a journey to complete some of those nagging tasks you’ve been putting off for so long. In the process you will gain a lightness in your life, no longer carrying them around in your mind! Can you imagine how good that will feel? Seriously, the weight of those unfinished tasks places a heavy burden on your mind whether you realize it or not. In taking this journey, step by step each day for the next 30 days, you will be establishing a new and powerful lifelong habit that will set you up for success! Wow!

Are you excited yet?! Because I am! I want that feeling of accomplishment. How about you? We Can Do It!!

How It Works

In order to have success we are going to keep things simple! There’s just 3 steps and you really only need to do the third step.

1.  Mentally Commit

Today is a new day. Believe that. Let go of self criticism. Decide to go on the Productivity Journey and stick with it.

2. Success Totem

Create a physical item that you can add to each day that shows your cumulative success on your Productivity Journey. This will serve as a reminder to you that you are accomplishing things. Often we are getting things done, but once they are done there is no physical reminder that we completed the task and so we don’t give ourselves credit and savor the feeling of accomplishment. That feeling of accomplishment is a natural driver for continuing our journey tomorrow. So we want to make sure that you get that juice each day!

Your Success Totem could be a necklace or bracelet to which you add a bead each day. It could be a tower of blocks, one for each day that you complete a task. Or it could be a simple written calendar or log of your accomplishments that you post somewhere in your office or home.  Click here for some other Success Totem ideas.

3. Take Action!

Duh! Of course, right? Taking action is both simple and complex. Simple in that all you have to do is DO IT! And complex in that we may have a hard time choosing which task to to and also complex in that our brain is always being tempted to do the “little tasks” that we think need to be done. They are tempting because they are simple to do. But they often don’t have to be done NOW. We just want to get them out of the way before we do our important stuff. That’s no good though. We must do the difficult important stuff first! So – let’s Take Action!

Simply: choose one task. If you have trouble choosing, always choose the toughest one because it will give you the most satisfaction juice when done!

Do the Task!

• Project Type Tasks: set aside a certain amount of time to work on it each day until it is done. Always work on it as early in the day as possible.
  • Short Term Tasks. Just do it. First thing.

Success Factors:

Turn off your cell phone. Don’t answer the land-line phone. Don’t look at email. Ignore all distractions including all the things you “have to do.” They can wait until later. (Write them down to get them off your mind.)

Take one step. Then take another step. Then another. Finally, you will have climbed a mountain! You can only do it one step at a time. Accept that. Do what you can today. Do more tomorrow. Be patient. Build your Success Totem to see your cumulative success. Keep moving forward and you will get there!

JOIN THE JOURNEY!

Please share your successes, plans, and ideas in the comments below. Subscribe to get updates on more success tips during the Productivity Journey!

, , , ,

11 Responses to Productivity Journey: 30 Days of Getting Things Done!

1. alina October 13, 2011 at 7:01 am #

Thanks for the article and learned something new, it was interesting to read.

2. Vita Tänder October 18, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

Count me in, let’s do this! Start counting your daily accomplishments as we invest in hard work everyday. Always put discipline on top of everything.

3. Ariel Dunes condos October 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm #

This is a good way to get things done and be motivated. For the next couple of day, I’m planning to get high rankings in search engines and I’m hoping that this productivity journey will greatly help me accomplished the task required to achieve my goals.

4. Yolanda November 9, 2011 at 12:14 am #

This was a great post. I just saw a segment on the Today Show this morning called “How to strengthen your self-control”. Experts say 95% of us procrastinate – I was so shocked! The greatest thing I’ve been doing lately is taking action, one day at a time. I’ve been thinking of doing some sort of success chart (like my kids’ sticker chart)… your step 2 confirms that may be a good idea. Thanks for sharing!

• AgentSully November 12, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Thanks for your compliment and for sharing, Yolanda!
      Procrastination is insidious for sure, especially when we procrastinate on our most important task with a lesser task. It gives us the illusion that we’re taking care of something, but because it’s not the most important, we are not being most efficient.
      Hope to see you again soon!

5. Kali November 9, 2011 at 9:27 am #

It’s amazing how a simple task not completed bears so much weight on your mind. Always thinking about how it needs to get done, why it isnt done, and how it will take sooooo long to get done(usually done in 5 minutes). I can only imagine how great that feeling is! I took a week a few years ago to go through my brain of all things I wanted to do and needed to do for some long and finally finish them and I agree it feels so awarding and hey my headaches gone!

6. Vincent January 12, 2012 at 12:50 am #

There are different ways to be productive and there are also useful tools that can also help. At work in order to be productive I manage time manage time efficiently using a time management tool. This way I can do work with less time and effort. Another is in order to follow scheduled tasks and finish it on time is with discipline. With it I can easily ignore distractions and stay focus on tasks.

At the end of each day’s work, I get this feeling of fulfillment at work every time I look at the finished tasks. I am productive this way.

7. tongti longkumer February 14, 2012 at 5:38 am #

Its not every day that we come across such useful posts. Thanks!

8. Queen Nef April 2, 2012 at 2:25 am #

Today is the beginning of my new life ! 30 Day Plan in place! Thanx for the Inspiration! Let you know how it goes.

• AgentSully April 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm #

@Queen Nef – Awesome! Cool blog you have! Wishing you all the best!!!