The Story of Stuff

Story of Stuff

Too much stuff is not only bad, it’s worse than you think. And it’s not just about the environment. It’s about people too and the quality of their lives.

Check out this preview video of “The Story of Stuff.” If you are interested, you can view the full version which is just below the first video.

And before you become depressed or start feeling hopeless, know that there are things YOU can do to actually make a difference. Identifying a problem is the first step in a brighter future. Check out the top 10 things you can do to make a difference here.

Preview of “Story of Stuff”

Full version of “Story of Stuff” (only 20 minutes)

What You Can Do to Change the “Story of Stuff”

There are many ways to get involved. The Story of Stuff website (www.StoryofStuff.com) has a page called “Another Way” that will give you the top ten things you can do to make a difference such as:

1. Waste Less
  2. Buy Less
  3. Tell a Friend, a School, or a Community about this information.

So, check it out, bring it into your consciousness each day, and  bit by bit we can shape a more positive future!

What is your relationship with stuff? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

, , , , , ,

24 Responses to The Story of Stuff

1. bridblastoffnetwork October 25, 2009 at 3:23 pm #

One of the greatest things I ever did was throw 80% of my stuff away. Less stuff, less stress. Retail therapy is America’s Achilles Heel.

• agentsully October 26, 2009 at 5:56 pm #

@brideblast – you are so right! Good for you! The trick is not to refill the house again, right? 🙂 After going through all the purging work, it’s easier to say no to new unnecessary stuff because there’s a 80-90% chance you’ll be carting out to the trash someday.

2. landscape ideas October 26, 2009 at 1:29 pm #

Yup you are very true! both the videos are very awesome and informative!You just done a very great job the idea’s are very helpful! Share the updates time to time.keep it up!

3. Sarah D October 27, 2009 at 11:09 pm #

Ive recently thrown all my stuff out i didnt need and now feel 100% better than what i did before.

thanks for your post it help me move on with my life

• agentsully October 28, 2009 at 2:03 pm #

@Sarah – good for you! Thanks for commenting!

4. Manhattan October 28, 2009 at 11:18 am #

It’s true. Too much stuff degrades the quality of life rather than improve it. For example, my friend buys hundreds of DVDs. There’s not enough time in the world to watch them all. As a result, he always feels like he has to rush through them rather than enjoying them. Not to mention the wasted money.

• agentsully October 28, 2009 at 1:58 pm #

@Manhattan – I used to be that way with books. Now I borrow them from the library and if I don’t have time to finish it, I don’t feel guilty!

5. Victor October 31, 2009 at 4:23 am #

Both the videos are awesome!! I think the information presented will be useful to many people a lot. Gr8!! idea and a great blog.

6. Gourmet Living November 3, 2009 at 8:53 am #

I have a rule if you have not used it in 1 year it goes!

7. mass gainer November 12, 2009 at 5:32 am #

8. Credit Card Debt Detroit November 17, 2009 at 12:26 pm #

For some reason I always feel very free when I’ve thrown a lot of stuff away.

9. Monster Energy Clothing November 19, 2009 at 4:52 pm #

Before you become depressed or start feeling hopeless, know that there are things YOU can do to actually make a difference.

10. Marie Curie high school November 19, 2009 at 10:36 pm #

I’ll tell my students about this topic for them get more exp.

11. Greed November 21, 2009 at 3:53 am #

Retail therapy is America’s Achilles Heel

12. Big Blog Collection November 26, 2009 at 9:56 am #

Hi, interesting blog you have here. We invite you to share it with others by listing it in our Blog Directory

13. puppy pens November 28, 2009 at 11:00 am #

best way to not feel depressed is to keep yourself busy lots of people turn to shopping or food but if you make yourself so busy you cant think you wont get depressed.

14. Linda December 1, 2009 at 6:53 am #

Less is definately more. People these days have so much that they’ve lost their appreciation of the simple things in life!

15. Dave @ Luminosity Brain December 1, 2009 at 2:35 pm #

I admit I am a pack rat but i am trying to improve. I can’t believe how much stuff I have around, not to mention all the files full of paper records. I am slowly starting to get rid of things and not buying as many things anymore. That will be the key for me down the road… not buying any more stuff.

• agentsully December 1, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

@Dave – thanks for sharing! I can totally relate. I’m trying to not buy as much stuff anymore. “Do I really need this?” is a question I try to always ask myself these days. I think this video is very eye opening. Hopefully the more people that see this the greater will be our collective change. Cheers.

16. Estetik Turkiye December 7, 2009 at 7:22 pm #

17. AnimalLover January 5, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

My other half & I are pack rats too, but the difference between he and I is that I generally have most of it contained in boxes in the closet, and he has stuff EVERYWHERE, sometimes there’s a defined path through it all. I think it comes from not having a good childhood as everything he cared about what ultimately taken from him or destroyed, so as an , he collects and buys on the basis that this stuff is “an investment” or “this is a great price, and if I don’t get it now, when I need or want it again, it will be triple the price”.

18. Jessica Linberg September 8, 2010 at 6:28 am #

Thanks for the inspiring videos. I feel better than ever since moving on with my new life

THANK YOU!

19. psychic email readings uk December 6, 2011 at 11:19 am #

“waste less, buy less” sums it up really