What Will You Do?

President Obama

image by srqpix

This is the question I ask myself after watching President Obama’s inauguration speech today. “What will I do?” Here is the segment of his speech that I think was most important and most representative of his election:

“What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility — a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.
This is the price and the promise of citizenship.”

I believe that people support Barack Obama so passionately because they believe in his sincerity and ability to “do the right thing” for our country and world in so many areas. At the same time, I think that most of his supporters realize that in order to accomplish the promises we elected him for, he will need help from each of us in an amount greater than we’ve given in the past. There are many in this country and this world who volunteer and give of themselves to help others. Their work is truly noble and makes a huge positive difference.

And there are many, myself included, who could afford to do a lot more. If each of us gave of ourselves just a little bit more, that would amount to a landslide of power to make this world a much better place.

So what will I do? What will you do?

We can volunteer our time, ours skills and knowledge, contribute money, and donate our resources. My goal is contribute in each of these ways over the coming year. To keep myself accountable to this goal, I plan to add comments as I complete my contributions.

Here is President Obama’s website that helps you to find ways to help serve: http://www.usaservice.org/content/home/

There are many other service organizations that could also use your time, skills, money, or resources. Here are a few that come to mind.

Red Cross

Big Brother Big Sister

Salvation Army

You could also check in your local community for ways to help by doing a Google search on “charity” or “volunteer” plus your zipcode. If you feel a strong call to help you could look into becoming a foster parent.

Please Share

If you have some good ideas of ways to make a difference, please share them in the comments below.

, ,

26 Responses to What Will You Do?

1. Las Vegas January 21, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

Volunteering and helping others that are less fortunate is one of many key things some people never learn. There are a lot of selfish people that are not capable of thinking or acting in a way that would benefit anyone other than themselves. So we can call louder for volunteers but we should change the basic way we tax to make sure every contributes whether they want to or not.

2. mike walzman January 23, 2009 at 4:01 pm #

That is a good question and I think most people like myself as well could be of service more. Although I don’t like to beat myself up about it. I think there are times in everyones lives to do more or less of something. That said, while there are tons of charities to give to, I’ve been doing the small things that help out. Like picking up trash, or getting a group of friends to go to skid row to feed the homeless.

3. agentsully January 24, 2009 at 10:14 pm #

@Mike – thanks for sharing your ideas and experience. Your blog looks like a very positive and interesting read!

4. Dofollow Blogs January 26, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

This reminds me of the reaction that John F. Kennedy got from his inauguration statement “Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.”

By the way,I have listed this blog as a dofollow blog and send a few readers your way. I’ve linked to the page above.

I’m in the process of updating the rankings and providing a bit of information about each site. Updates should be up by Wednesday. Let me know if you’d like to change yours.

Warmly,

Linda P. Morton

5. Dawn January 30, 2009 at 2:22 am #

I think volunteering is a great start and I see some plans of Obamas to really push our youth into helping out more. I love the idea of volunteering and getting college credit, it’s a great idea.

6. Ernie Small February 16, 2009 at 7:15 pm #

it will be interesting to see how many of the typically cynical folks such as myself will end up feeling differently about the idea of “serving your country” now that we have such a distinguished individual for our president. things may end up seeming altogether different and inspiring with someone at the top we can actually relate to.
    however, i think a lot of us are still wrapping our heads around the idea that it (Barack’s inauguration) actually happened.

7. Nicole February 18, 2009 at 10:47 am #

What i appreciate most about the excerpt is the inclusion of a nation. Surely, he is one of the most powerful people in the world today but he admits he cannot do it alone. That is why we can make a change, in our own little ways. helping others is one but I think it would greatly impact the world if start taking responsibility for everything we do. From our expenses, debts, to the way we hguide our children to become good citizens.

8. Cheryl February 19, 2009 at 12:03 pm #

There is a lot to be done but we call all make a change!

9. Site Ekle April 3, 2009 at 9:57 am #

Thanks for sharing your ideas… Like in your article “Change” …

10. Property Solutions April 10, 2009 at 8:11 am #

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-).THANX FOR MAKING SUCH A COOL BLOG,I REALLY LIKE YOUR WRITING STYLE , KEEP IT UP 🙂

11. allergia al nichel May 11, 2009 at 5:44 pm #

i believe in obama and his team!!!!

12. Tim June 15, 2009 at 11:40 pm #

No, I think he was just preparing the American people to take the big shaft when he and his dedicated folks decided to run up the deficit and bail out every Tom, Dick and Harry who whined about losing some money..except me. I lost a ton in the stock market last year. Where’s my bailout Mr. Obama?

13. Recenzie Služby July 11, 2009 at 6:02 am #

Very interesting, Mr. Obama is my most favourite president in my long life 🙂

14. veinna12 July 21, 2009 at 5:18 am #

I appreciate this post so much. This verse is very similar to another that I wrote down earlier this week and have sitting here at my desk:Obviously, this is something God wants me to think about. 🙂 Thank you for your thoughtful example.

• agentsully July 21, 2009 at 8:05 pm #

@Vienna – thank YOU for writing! Best wishes!

15. Online math tutor July 27, 2009 at 2:20 am #

it really felt nice after hearing the speech of the Barack Obama… i was like a energy drink that puffed of the sense of patriotism in many people… and i am really glad to hear that… you initiated something from your side… there are many people who just think and never do… you are a lesson to them… and its really felt nice that there are people like you are still in existence… i also contacted the Red Cross Society and done my share of initiation as i could

• agentsully July 29, 2009 at 2:06 pm #

@math tutor – that’s awesome! nice job!

16. SeO Deeds August 10, 2009 at 9:47 pm #

Great post! I really enjoyed it and it has spun up some motivation in me. I think that the world would be so much better if people did give more than take.

17. Stonner October 7, 2009 at 11:25 pm #

It became a president is not easy imagine.Some question such person is a very good question and I think each person must make the change to a better direction.

18. Namrata November 23, 2009 at 3:19 am #

I think we should help Mr. Obama in bringing revolution as it is required for all of us as recession is hitting the world badly.

19. Roman Wrigley December 9, 2009 at 2:38 am #

One way to contribute is by helping kids who are having a hard time with their schoolwork. If you have a college degree, there is probably at least one academic subject that you could tutor on a volunteer or paid basis.

• agentsully December 10, 2009 at 10:28 pm #

@Roman – that is such an awesome idea! I volunteer at my child’s school for writing help and it has opened my eyes that more help is needed. Some kids are not getting the reinforcement at home for any number of reasons with the majority reason probably being that their parents are too tired from working so much. We all need to chip in to help each other as much as we can.

Thanks for that great idea!

20. Coach Hire December 23, 2009 at 2:12 am #

Great post…and I have book marked your site, I will read your posts and your reader comments and more likely particepate the best I can.

Have a blessed Xmas and Happy new year from London UK.

Be safe, travel safe and enjoy each and every bit of your holidays, travel and tours.

Best regards,

Lucy
    London UK
    Coach Hire!

• agentsully December 31, 2009 at 5:10 pm #

@Lucy – thanks! Wishing you happy holidays too! Thanks!

21. Darin December 27, 2009 at 3:26 am #

Disappointed, but not surprised by your level of political naivete. How long will it take for people to wake up?

• agentsully December 31, 2009 at 5:03 pm #

Darin – tell me more about your thoughts on this. Thanks.