Blog Action Day 2008: Poverty, When You Help Others You Help Yourself

Stop Poverty

photo by Stitch

Did you know that a major key to happiness is giving to others? This is substantiated in an excellent book by Rick Foster and Greg Hicks,”How We Choose to Be Happy: The 9 Choices of Extremely Happy People–Their Secrets, Their Stories.” In the book, they describe the profound effect giving to others can have on your level of happiness.

I discovered this book through the Awakening Joy course which I highly recommend.

When was the last time you gave (your time, energy, love, assistance) to someone else and how did it make you feel?

Why not make a difference for someone today by helping to end poverty? Here are 88 ideas to get you started. Here are a few of my favorite ideas:

• Eat meatless meals 2x a week. Donate that grocery money to a local food bank.
  • Make a loan on Kiva.org.
  • Have a “sponsor me” day. Donate money to a poverty relief cause for everyone who leaves a comment on your blog that day.
  • Skip a weekly trip to the grocery store and donate the money saved to a food bank. I do this once a year for my family of 5. For that week we only eat what is left in the pantry or fridge. By the end of the week, pickings are slim and we get a sense of what it feels like to not have the luxury of tasty, well balanced meals every night.
  • Have dinner on the floor and make it a very small meal (like chicken broth, watered down milk, and maybe a small piece of bread?) Talk about the blessings you have and that the meal represents those who don’t get to eat “big” on a daily basis.
  • Volunteer at a soup kitchen!
  • Don’t just talk to your kids about poverty – get them involved by having them go through their toys and clothes to find concrete things to pass along. The next time they want you to buy something for them – talk about what that money could buy for someone who had no food… then follow through and donate the money you didn’t spend.

If you want to get started by making a donation or if you want to learn more, there are several organizations and educational information listed here. Also check out what one person can do to make a difference.

14 Responses to Blog Action Day 2008: Poverty, When You Help Others You Help Yourself

1. Elizabeth October 21, 2008 at 11:51 am #

Once I started volunteering for one of my kid’s junior sports programs I was hooked on volunteering. I have added banners so all of my blogs for good charity sites. I have a great feeling from giving back that it is hard to give to others. You have to try it once and feel it to really know why we do this. Thanks for the post.. this is a nice looking site. Cheers –

2. Men Clothing October 22, 2008 at 9:09 am #

It breaks my heart when I see that….

3. re October 22, 2008 at 10:04 am #

this picture is familiar for me..

4. Eugene October 22, 2008 at 7:05 pm #

I am seaching for some idea to write in my blog… somehow come to your blog. best of luck. Eugene

5. cheritycall October 27, 2008 at 4:14 am #

hy, Give something to help those hungry people in Africa or India,
    I made this blog about this subject:
    at http://tinyurl.com/5qlbzs

6. central coast california real estate October 28, 2008 at 5:57 pm #

As a husband & father of 3 kids I’m always trying to cultivate a spirit of giving in our family. My experience totally agrees with your assessment that there are few things in life that can bless you more than giving to those who have the most need. I really like your learning idea of sitting on the floor to have a simple watered down meal with your family – I’m going to do that one with my kids. Thanks.

7. Pak News Update November 6, 2008 at 4:32 am #

I agree to the post, helping others gives a very deep inside joy that is unmatchable. This is what Bill Gates of Microsoft is looking for. And certainly helping others will creat a sense of spirtual fulfilment…

8. deden sulaiman November 17, 2008 at 12:57 pm #

i am curious which country the girl come from?
    Seem She is Indonesian. From i was child, my father is donate his money for poor children who dont have parents. Evermonth we pay 2 usd.
    The greatest thing is many of them finished highschool and university but still remember us.

9. Bhanu December 13, 2008 at 2:27 pm #

Hi There… Thanks for your Post. Its like familiar place in my country.
    Gracefull! I’m Waiting your next Post like this.

10. dalidas December 14, 2008 at 11:41 am #

I’m writing from turkey. I like your writings.It’s very nice that you mention this subject. Your explanations are enough.

11. Ernie Small December 27, 2008 at 10:54 pm #

i really like the idea of skipping one food shopping week for families that usually don’t have to. i have recently been a lot poorer than usual, and have been forced to eat whatever is in my kitchen that i’ve been avoiding (things that take more prep-time, like raw beans for example)first, before buying anything new, and I’ve found that it has led me to a greater appreciation and dedication to using what i have before running out to buy more. also, i have of course grown a greater appreciation for what it is like to really have to strategise in order to make sure that you have food to eat every day. this would be a great excercise to teach children in more well-to-do households to have more empathy for the poor and unfortunate.

12. RaiulBaztepo March 28, 2009 at 8:02 pm #

Hello!
    Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
    PS: Sorry for my bad english, I’v just started to learn this language 😉
    See you!
    Your, Raiul Baztepo

13. PiterKokoniz April 7, 2009 at 8:01 pm #

Hi !!! 🙂
    I am Piter Kokoniz. oOnly want to tell, that your blog is really cool
    And want to ask you: is this blog your hobby?
    Sorry for my bad english:)
    Thank you!
    Piter.

• agentsully May 16, 2009 at 6:01 pm #

@Piter – thanks for the encouragement and compliment! This is a hobby and a job! I love it!