When Money Talks, Listen!

Money!

photo by materials boy

Do you find yourself constantly frustrated about money? Do you find that no matter how much money you have, you always seem to just be making ends meet? If you can relate to these statements then you may benefit from reading the book called “When Money Talks, Listen!” by Rich Ezzo.

What follows is an interview with the author about his inspiration for writing this book and why he thinks he can help YOU and your money issues.

This was a very sweet story! Sorry to be cliche, Rich, but I laughed, I cried, and I learned! What was your inspiration to write this story? Any biographical elements? 🙂

Kris, let me begin by saying thank you for asking to do this interview. Also, there is no need to apologize for the ‘cliché”. Hearing that you “laughed, cried, and learned” from my book is about the best review you could give me.

I did have a real life inspiration for writing this story; kudos to your instincts. I had left my job because I no longer felt fulfilled, and many months passed while I searched for something different. Naturally I began to get concerned about money as time passed and I had no income coming in. I began to wonder what it is about money that makes us so stressed, and why it has such a hold on us. I have always enjoyed writing, so one day I had an idea that I could try and create a fictional character that might be able to answer some of these questions for me. So, I named him Myster (Mr.) Money.

Who was the audience you had in mind when writing this book?

Because I decided to create this character to answer my questions, the original audience I had in mind was me! Ha ha. However, once it was completed and I let some family and friends read it, it seemed that the principles and story would apply to most any demographic. However, I’d say it’s most beneficial to those who find that money has always been a challenge in their lives. Some people can attract abundance easily into their lives, and probably wouldn’t need to read this.

Why did you decide to use a story for teaching these financial principals?

I have always believed that stories, fables, and parables are great ways to teach. They use examples well, and provide entertainment so that the mind forgets it’s being taught, and thus doesn’t resist so much. Also, as I writer I have noticed that when I am writing a story, if I let myself get out of the way it will begin to write itself. This is when a deeper wisdom can take over and offer better insights. So I was writing to learn.

How do you think people will benefit from reading your book?

It’s my hope that people will benefit most from this book by improving their relationship with money. Perhaps changing their perception of what money is, and its purpose. One of the 5 lessons that Myster Money teaches is to notice the gifts that are left behind when money leaves your possession. I think this is a good habit to be in.

I like the idea of giving money away, knowing that it will come back to you. Any personal stories in this regard?

Sometimes children are our best teachers. I remember the first time I was taught this principal, and it was from my 8 yr. old nephew. His family came to my parent’s house for dinner. My Father (his Grandfather) found $2 in his coat pocket, and turned and gave it to my nephew. My nephew said, “Wow. Today I had a dollar and put it in the church basket. And now God paid me back… double!” I’ve since experienced this numbers of times in my life, but think that says it best.

Did you ever have a guy like Scratch in your life?

Scratch does not represent one person in my life, but several. While I didn’t create him with anyone in mind, I can now read the story and see pieces of my father, grandfather and a few other notable mentors. There is even a mention in the book to his cologne smelling like my grandfathers. To me that is always a nice memory.

For someone attempting a makeover in their financial life, what is the best advice you can offer them?

Find a way to break the “craving need” for money. Like many things in life, we can want something too much, and thus push it away. Think back to a person or a job you wanted that you ever pushed away by this method. Money is the same. I was recently told a story by someone I met who said the best lesson he ever learned about money was from his father. He told him that whenever you can least afford it, take a $100 bill and burn it! Then, one day when he was down and out, he got his hundred dollar bill, rolled it up, and smoked it! Ha.ha…He said he never had an issue with money again. I love the lesson, but I think it’s probably even better to give that money away to someone else.

Myster Money mentions in the book that money is here to serve “us”. However, we treat it the opposite, as though we are unworthy and somehow have to convince it otherwise. I portrayed Myster Money as a generous, wise old man….give money this characteristic, and watch what happens!

Thanks, Rich!

If you’re interested in learning more about how you can get a copy of this ebook, head on over to MysterMoney.com.

When Money Talks, Listen!

When is your relationship with money at its best? What is the lesson there? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

Support Life Learning Today

, , ,

31 Responses to When Money Talks, Listen!

1. Evan July 17, 2008 at 8:10 pm #

My problem with money isn’t living up to it so much as making enough.

I can live very luxuriously on average weekly earnings.

I hope I can do something about this through blogging.

2. Rich Ezzo July 17, 2008 at 8:37 pm #

Kris,

Love the smiling coins! Great image to keep in mind…money wants to us to have fun with it and enjoy it!

Thanks again for the interview!

Wishing you all the best,
    Rich

3. agentsully July 17, 2008 at 9:09 pm #

@Rich – yeah, I thought those captured the essence of your message well! Thanks again!

4. agentsully July 17, 2008 at 9:11 pm #

@ Evan – wishing you lots of success with your blogging and making money!

5. Ed Harris July 18, 2008 at 10:22 pm #

Ok…a bit off-topic… but A type of Health insurance that has a mini-investment feature is a Health Savings Account (HSA). Essentially, it is a catastrophic health insurance policy with a “side fund” that enables you to accumulate money (at a very low interest rate) to pay for medical expenses in a tax-favored manor.

Since the focus is on saving money, an HSA might help your readers do exactly that!

6. Peter July 19, 2008 at 11:39 am #

I ejoyed the picture of the coins. I think I might actually do this to a couple and try and get them in circulation. I know I’d smile if my change had a nice face on it.

7. Drew "Solution" Templar July 21, 2008 at 9:52 pm #

It takes a very brave person to roll up 100 bucks and burn it.

I don’t think I could be game to try it, but I welcome the point, hence it’s nice to learn from the lessons of others. (especially their 100 dollars)

8. eranda July 22, 2008 at 1:59 am #

And I truely believe the idea of giving money away, Love the way the Author has put this in to words.

Will buy “When Money Talks, Listen!” for sure and thanks a lot for nice information 🙂

9. Bluetooth July 22, 2008 at 4:42 am #

I will definitely read this one as I find many challenges as far as money is concerned. The interview sounds terrific indeed! Thanks for sharing this nice book.

10. Jim July 23, 2008 at 10:48 pm #

My problem with money is that I make a lot doing the things I loathe. If I do what I’m passionate about, however, what I make amounts to the square root of fuck-all.

11. Dolly July 29, 2008 at 4:44 am #

My problem is that my living never fit the earnings. I fear this is uncurable

12. Beth August 1, 2008 at 10:48 am #

The first few lines in the post told my story with money, when I get my salary I feel as I have all the money in the world and by the end of the money I’m broke. Thank you for the nice interview post, I found it to be really helpful.

13. Amaan Goyal August 3, 2008 at 11:50 am #

The interview sounds terrific, though you always have the feeling that you do not have enough but i believe in giving away money as you would never have enough so why not share it with those who need it more than you.

14. Dallas Wood August 8, 2008 at 10:49 am #

Good post by the way. The truth is money is abundant anywhere you look. You have to want it. The other thing is that once you obtain the money, try not to spend it. Spending money is what makes us all broke. Living large has its consequences.

15. Dr. Housing Bubble August 8, 2008 at 5:32 pm #

Aptly timed subject given the current economic climate. I think the idea of “money” has been misconstrued recently with debt. Sometimes, people forget the point of making money. If you want freedom, you can have that. Some people think that having an arbitrary number say $1 million is actually going to provide them freedom.

Giving money away helps provide this perspective. There are many people that hoard and hoard and simply forget why they started saving money in the first place. Having money isn’t necessarily the hardest thing yet figuring out how to sustain is usually the hardest challenge.

As you can see from the comments, some people have more time than money and others have more money while doing something the don’t like. Rich sounds like he made the right move and went off to pursue something he was passionate about.

16. Mary McLean August 11, 2008 at 4:24 am #

Money making decisions are really hard to make and even deciding the issues related to money is even a risky and a hard thing that we should think a lot. So it is better to take advises or read books which give us many good ideas.

17. techy August 12, 2008 at 9:12 am #

What an informative article! Superb! And…i think my money spoke to me yesterday! It said….”save me!”

18. agentsully August 12, 2008 at 8:26 pm #

@Dr. Housing Bubble – very insightful comment. Thank you!

19. agentsully August 12, 2008 at 8:27 pm #

@Dallas Wood – ah yes, the leaky faucet. Good point about making sure we save!

20. agentsully August 12, 2008 at 8:35 pm #

@Beth – I’m glad you found it valuable. Good luck!

21. techie August 16, 2008 at 1:06 am #

When money talks, listen but when it smiles ( as shown on the pic), laugh back.

22. Amaterashu August 17, 2008 at 10:38 am #

If you want a financial freedom, you have to invest your income, don’t spend it all
    especially when you’re still young. if you invest at young age.. you can enjoy your old life 🙂

23. Performance Coaching August 28, 2008 at 4:55 pm #

The discipline that is required with finances is something very impressive. There will always be something that seems “necessary”. We need to make sure that our money works for us. Another great book that might be of interest is called “The Richest Man in Babylon”. It also has a great little story to illustrate the principles of financial control.

24. Vilante October 13, 2008 at 5:47 am #

I think the problem with money is we buy too many things we don`t need.

25. Neilzb October 13, 2008 at 11:06 am #

I read “The Richest Man in Babylon” also, and I would recommend it to anyone.

I loved the earlier post about how if you never seem to have enough money then perhaps you should share what you do have with people who need it more than you, because you will still be in the same position of not having enough money, but you might have made a real difference to someone else’s life. I think that shows a real decency and unfortunately that’s not something you see a lot of these days.

26. Fidelia October 22, 2008 at 2:35 pm #

No, the problem is… there’s no easy way to get money at this time 🙂

27. Tyra August 8, 2009 at 4:33 pm #

To earn money in recent recession is hard,that’s why innovative business with niche market can be good solution

28. Personal Finance Mom September 27, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

I love those smiley face coins, what a positive message. I can’t help but wonder if it’s the same Ezzo that wrote the horrible parenting books, though. They said that babies were born manipulative and advocated all sorts of heartbreaking practices. I hope it’s not the same author.

29. Rich Ezzo September 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm #

Hi Personal Finance Mom…

I’m Rich Ezzo who wrote When Money Talks, Listen! and I just want you to know that I am not the same Ezzo who wrote the children’s books. I don’t know him personally, and we are not related either.

Wishing you all the best,
    Rich

30. Tile Austin August 24, 2010 at 12:55 am #

Definitely a book I should read. I don’t know whether it is good or bad but I never seem to have enough of it. (Money.) And I really believe the idea of giving money away, Love the way the Author has put this in to words.

1. Money Does Talk! - July 17, 2008