Photo by ann-dabney
This soup is first and foremost, delicious! But more than that this soup will:
- give you great nutrition– calcium, beta carotene, lots of vitamins and minerals
- prevent junk food cravings– why? because your body will have the nutrition it needs. When we don’t have enough nutrients, we crave junk food.
- give you plenty of fiber for a healthy digestive system
- help you lose weight – why? when you eat plant-based whole foods, your body naturally sheds excess weight. Want proof? Check out Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedmand and Kim Barnouin.
- help you reverse and prevent major life threatening diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and debilitating auto-immune diseases. Want proof? Check out The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas M. Campbell II.
- easy meal for a few days. Cook once, eat for several days.
- give you a yummy eating experience! It’s the vegetables that make chicken soup taste good so give it a try!
So here’s the recipe:
Wholesome Vegan “Chicken” Soup
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium-large Vidalia or yellow onions chopped
- 6 Celery stalks chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 8 oz chopped mushrooms
- 1 elephant garlic clove or 3 regular garlic cloves finely chopped/shredded.
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or water + bullion cube)
- 1 small bag of organic baby cut carrots
- 2 red potatoes diced into 1/2 inch squares (or whatever size you like) (no need to peel, just wash)
- 2 cans (rinsed) navy beans (or your favorite beans) (15 oz each)
- juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 – 1 pound chopped kale
- 1/2 – 1 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- few fresh basil leaves chopped or 1/2 tsp basil flakes (if you have it – it won’t break the soup if you don’t have it)
- salt & pepper to taste
Crock Pot Instructions
You can throw this all in one large crock pot and leave it while you go to work. If you do that, depending on how you like your kale, you could wait to put the Kale in 20 minutes before serving. But the simplest way is to put everything in together. If your crock pot is small you can cut the recipe in half.
Stove Top Instructions
- In large stew pot saute all the ingredients from step one on medium-high heat, stirring as needed. Cook until the veggies are soft.
- Add garlic and stir for 30-60 seconds on medium heat to prevent burning the garlic.
- Stir in water and vegetable broth.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes, and beans. Adjust heat as needed to produce a very low simmer.
- Add lemon juice.
- Add chopped kale one handful at a time stirring it in as it wilts.
- Add spices: red pepper flakes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook for a minimum of 30 more minutes. For richer flavor let slow cook on low heat for longer, say 1 hour or even more. Keep the lid on, keep on very low heat, and check every so often for a stir.
- Serve and enjoy!
Feel free to add your favorites to this such as noodles, rice, barley, etc. You’ll just need to add more water.
To your health!
What’s your favorite soup recipe? All comments big and small are very welcomed!
Support Life Learning Today