My Favorite Smoothie

healthy-smoothie

photo by Dale Gillard

As you’ve probably noticed, I’ve been writing more and more about healthy eating and healthy living in general. Now that I eat a Vegan diet (no animal foods), I discover and create great new recipes all the time. I’ll be sharing the best ones with you here. You don’t have to be Vegan to eat them, but, shhhh, here’s a little secret, if you do eat them, they will make you really healthy and make you less likely to crave foods that are bad for you. So don’t tell that part of yourself that thinks being a vegetarian is something you could never do. Just eat it an enjoy!

So here’s my favorite smoothie recipe:

Green Watermelon Smoothie

Makes enough smoothie for 2-4 people. Drink half for your breakfast and freeze the other half for a super healthy afternoon snack. Totally better than ice cream! You can cut this recipe in half if you’re just making it for yourself. This is the perfect breakfast!

• 4 ripe bananas
  • 2-3 cups of green leafy veg (spinach, kale, mache, collards, field greens)
  • 1 cup mixed berries (frozen is fine: blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, raspberries)
  • 1/2-3/4 cup watermelon
  • 1 Tbsp Flax seed oil
  • 1 cup water/icecubes
  • 1 scoop Green Vibrance
  • 1 Tbsp Spirulina

In a blender: Blend on high all the fruit and water/ice cubes first. Then add the Green Vibrance and the Spirulina and blend on high. Last, add the flax oil and blend also on high. Pour and enjoy right away to benefit from all the healthy live plant enzymes.

This has a wonderful smooth taste. The bananas add just the right amount of sweetness. The greens merely add a flavor that I can only describe as “fresh.” The flax oil you don’t even taste, but it is extremely healthy for you and it fosters the satisfied feeling. Lastly the watermelon contributes a summery tropical dimension. Oooo. I just love this smoothie and you will too!

Please don’t worry about too much fructose from all the fruits. This will not make your blood sugar spike. All the fiber in this drink will help the fructose enter your bloodstream slowly. Don’t even think about calories. This perfect breakfast will help you lose weight if you combine it with a vegan diet.

And if you become serious about eating healthier, I can’t recommend anything more highly than a VitaMix blender. It’s a little pricey, but they last a lifetime and they make eating healthy a breeze. I love mine!

Enjoy and Please Share!

Please share your favorite smoothie recipe in the comments below! All comments big and small are very welcomed!

Support Life Learning Today

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

, , ,

65 Responses to My Favorite Smoothie

1. agentsully April 21, 2008 at 1:59 pm #

If you do freeze this recipe, thaw it either in the fridge for 20-30 minutes before eating. Or you can thaw it on the counter for 15 minutes. At this point you’ll eat it with a spoon like an Italian ice. Yum!

2. rebate processing April 21, 2008 at 7:21 pm #

AgentSully,

WOW! Thanks for the recipe!

We just made it, and must say, this is one of my new favorite smoothie recipes!

Mmmmm

I think i’ll go make another haha!

3. Sharon April 21, 2008 at 9:50 pm #

Wow, that sounds so delish! I love shakes and there’s nothing more healthier than fruit juices.

4. Alexander April 24, 2008 at 6:33 pm #

Great recipe. Sounds delicious. I will definitely try it out. Fruit and veggie smoothies are part of my everyday life.

Congratulations on becoming a vegan.:)

5. Jenny April 25, 2008 at 6:41 am #

It is great but I think it is also quite difficult for people like me to take a vegan diet. I’ve been eating meat for years…

6. agentsully April 25, 2008 at 4:16 pm #

@Jenny,
    I agree that switching to Vegan overnight would be hard for most people. Just look for opportunities each day, meal, snack to make a plant-based food choice and then someday you’ll find you’ve established a new healthier way of eating. Good luck!

7. agentsully April 25, 2008 at 4:17 pm #

@Alexander – thank you! It’s certainly easier to become vegan when you have others in your household doing it, which I finally do! Yay!

8. agentsully April 25, 2008 at 4:23 pm #

@Rebate – make me one too while you’re at it! 🙂

9. Fotobuch April 26, 2008 at 1:03 am #

Thanks for suggest a helpful drinks,I will taste it.

10. ipowerweb April 26, 2008 at 7:02 pm #

I just made the smoothie – it tastes great. thanks for the new recipe. 🙂

11. agentsully April 27, 2008 at 10:11 am #

@ipowerweb – glad you liked it!

12. amosgitai April 28, 2008 at 5:49 am #

It’s not so soft! There is Spirulina, an herb used in body building.
    I’m afraid about it.

13. Mark-Salinas-MN April 29, 2008 at 10:41 am #

I am going to give it a try….I love blueberries! I will let you know.

Mark Salinas, MN

14. cohnsey April 30, 2008 at 2:02 pm #

yuck. that smoothie may be your favorite, but it sounds kinda gross to me.

15. agentsully April 30, 2008 at 3:54 pm #

@Cohnsey – I can see how you might think that, but I encourage you to try it. It really is as yummy as a regular smoothie. Honest! And it’s a great way to get your daily greens. By having them pulverized by the blender you get more nutrition out of the greens too than if you were just eating salad. Thanks for commenting.

16. agentsully April 30, 2008 at 3:58 pm #

@Mark – thanks!! Hope you love it!

17. agentsully April 30, 2008 at 4:00 pm #

@amosgitai – don’t be afraid of spirulina. It is a totally safe blue-green algae that has lots of protein B-12 vitamins and many other essential nutrients, all concentrated. Thanks for commenting!

18. hijinks April 30, 2008 at 7:28 pm #

Sounds good….never heard of putting leafy greens in a smoothie but definitely something I’m going to try!

19. Robert Morgen May 1, 2008 at 3:00 pm #

Nice recipe. I’ll give it a try. 🙂

20. James May 2, 2008 at 9:00 am #

It’s more than just buying the organic food but knowing how to eat and what to eat.
    Your health largely depends on what you eat. If you eat healthy and natural food, you will have a great health. If you eat “junk” food, your health may suffer.
    We have done plenty of research and studies to bring you all these information that can transform your life forever.
    Check out: http://www.OrganicStep.com

21. Sandra Prangenberg May 3, 2008 at 2:31 am #

Wow, this is a very nice recipe and seems to be very delicious. It would be more delicious when it is freezed and kept for cooling for atleast 10mins.

22. Dotster review May 5, 2008 at 7:49 am #

Doesn’t look too much good. I am no tsure what to do with this.

23. Discount Codes May 6, 2008 at 3:07 am #

I can’t wait for testing this thing.But i have to buy a lot of things.

24. Promo Codes May 6, 2008 at 10:35 am #

I can’t wait to try this one.Thanks for the recipie

25. Mark-Salinas-MN May 6, 2008 at 12:14 pm #

I tried the smoothie not only once but two times….delicious! Good call!

Mark Salinas, MN

26. How to make money online May 7, 2008 at 4:26 am #

Sounds delicious, I’ll have to try it.

27. debster May 7, 2008 at 10:58 am #

I absolutely adore smoothies but can’t seem to find the time to do them as much any more, it was much easier when I worked from home. Will give this one a go thought 🙂

28. moneycrunch May 8, 2008 at 7:20 am #

Thanks 🙂 I just tried it (minus the flax seed oil – didn’t have any at hand) Had it as Ice-cream as suggested which was sooo much better than the usual vegan ice-creams I buy. Will stock up for the summer!

29. affiliate marketing May 9, 2008 at 5:21 am #

That is a very nice and delicious drink. I have found none who don’t like this.

30. Ray Barron May 11, 2008 at 7:41 am #

I always try to add a bit of milk to my smoothies, even if it is just a little. It tends to balance out all the fruit flavours slightly.

31. agentsully May 12, 2008 at 4:58 pm #

Thanks everyone for your comments. So glad everyone like this. And yes, frozen is awesome too!!

32. Startlogic Review May 19, 2008 at 7:58 am #

Hmm.. sounds tasty. I didn’t give any try but will give now.

33. Indian recipes June 4, 2008 at 1:35 pm #

This is the watermelon season in India, Recipes sounds yum, will try it…thanks.

34. agentsully June 7, 2008 at 5:21 pm #

@Indian recipes – did you like it? Please share one of your favorite recipes here!

35. Cosmetic Dental Work June 9, 2008 at 9:53 pm #

I have been hearing alot about smoothies with more than just fruit in them. I keep meaning to give them a try and now is a great time. I spent a fortune over the weekend on fruits and veggies.

36. Indian recipes June 30, 2008 at 4:01 am #

Yes, it was good.
    Sharing my favor ethnic Indian recipe of ‘sambhar’:

SAMBHAR RECIPE

Ingredients

Toor dal – 2 cups
    Sambhar masala – 4 tbsps
    Chopped eggplant (into neat 2″ cubes) – 1 cup
    Chopped potato (into neat 1” cubes) – 1 cup
    Pearl onion (peeled and cored – 10 no
    Baby okra – 10 to 12 no
    Pumpkin – ½ cup
    Drumsticks (3” long pcs) – 10-12
    A lump of tamarind – about the size of a small ball
    Ghee – 3 tbsps
    Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
    Curry leaves – 8 to 10 no
    Freshly chopped coriander leaves – 2 tsps
    Dry red chili – 3 to 4 no
    Salt to taste

Preparation

Boil toor dal with sambhar masala with lots of water till tender and soft. Its consistency should be that of a thick soup.

Leave the tamarind to soak in hot water for 10 minutes at least. Then squeeze it properly and remove all juice.

Add the puree to the boiled lentil and mix very well. Add salt and allow it to simmer. Then add the potato pieces, cook till half done.

Now add other vegetables and cook till all are done. Now heat some oil in a pan and add some mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chilies.

Fry till the spluttering stops and add to the boiled dal and mix again.

Garnish with coriander and serve piping hot with idlis dosas, vadas or plain boiled rice.

37. agentsully July 11, 2008 at 4:36 pm #

@Indian Recipe – thanks for the recipe! Hope to see you here again!

38. Ron July 24, 2008 at 9:52 pm #

recipe sounds delicious!!! I’ll try it this weekend

39. Italian Food Recipes July 25, 2008 at 12:59 pm #

I also agree. maybe you can treat yourself to like, an in-home massage or something to make up for it. :).Since I am a man I will not submit an idea of how you should indulge yourself. But, I will say that he better bring you back a sandwich!

40. agentsully July 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm #

@Italian Food Recipes – interesting!

41. Happy Girl August 8, 2008 at 10:59 am #

According to this article watermelon benefits the heart and the circulatory systems

42. yeseniaa September 24, 2008 at 10:35 pm #

i’m a vegetarian and i’ve been replacing meat for the past 9 months with chips, chocolates, breads, and other fatty foods. i’m trying to tone my body; my stomach, arms & legs, but it just seems impossible. i feel like i’m fat cus i’m so flabby. :/ what do you think i should do? i don’t understand the BMR and RMR caloric things? if you could help me out? i’d really like to lose this fat and tone up, and get healthier. 🙂

43. agentsully October 1, 2008 at 4:34 pm #

@yeseniaa – Congrats on becoming meat free. My suggestion would be to move towards a more whole-food plant based diet. Eliminate processed foods from your diet. Also stay away from breads that have little or no fiber. Good luck! Check out my post on “The Secrets to Healthy Living.” You’ll find a link to my ebook which outlines this all in greater detail. Good luck!

44. Chili King October 6, 2008 at 7:28 am #

thanks for the sambhar recipe “Indian Recipes”. do you leeve the seeds in the chili ort take them out? also what variety of chili pepper do you use?

45. kingston dentist March 17, 2009 at 6:19 am #

Correct i like the smoothie but not always. Just once in a blue moon. Like change.

46. Preston Cosmetic Dentist March 30, 2009 at 8:18 am #

Its a delicious recipe I think, will try it once. Thanks for sharing.

47. West Sussex Orthodontist April 27, 2009 at 7:06 am #

A healthy smoothie is all time favorite specially in summer.

48. Linda June 22, 2009 at 9:46 am #

I have been asked to do a smoothie stall at my sons school summer fair, i am sticking to a few simple recipeies, however i am not sure of what quantities of fruit to buy could i have some ideas please

• agentsully July 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm #

@Linda – for each person you will be serving you’ll need approximately 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup of other fruit and 1/4 cup liquid of your choice (rice milk, soy milk, water, juice, milk, yogurt, etc). That will give you a 10 oz drink per person. Adjust up or down if it is for smaller kids or adults.

Hope that helps.

49. Ben November 7, 2009 at 5:36 pm #

That is a great smoothie recipe. Here is a bunch more great smoothie recipes the smoothie kitchen. Take a look at the green smoothie section.

50. Dentist in Preston December 12, 2009 at 6:55 pm #

I have just stumbled upon this blog , great recipes , they all sound delicious.

51. Cosmetic Dentist Preston December 14, 2009 at 7:28 pm #

Sounds delicious, I’ll have to try it even though is dead cold outside

52. Cottages to Rent December 26, 2009 at 4:08 am #

Wow! That sounds very delicious. I love water melon and bananas, So I am sure going to love this smoothie..I am going to make it immediately.

53. rowing machines May 12, 2010 at 5:58 pm #

Gosh, great idea this smoothie… green… lol… my kids will love it.

• AgentSully August 22, 2010 at 8:54 pm #

@ rowing – hey you never know – Heinz came out with green ketchup and kids at that!

Here’s an idea. Make them close their eyes for their first bite. When they open their eyes they won’t believe it’s green! It’s soooo good!

54. Walter June 6, 2010 at 9:52 pm #

I haven’t tried the combination of water melon and babana. But I think the taste won’t matter that much cause both are sweet. I better try smoothie recipe later.

55. Scuba diving in the Philippines June 20, 2010 at 9:40 pm #

I really like the taste of water melon for smoothie. The freshness of it really makes me crave for more. I think it would be very interesting to try it with bananas.

56. Richard September 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

Great recipe 🙂 I add a bit of almond milk to mine and cut down a bit on the bananas. Is it just me or do bananas seems to cause gas? 🙂

• AgentSully October 24, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

Richard – hmm, haven’t noticed the gas from bananas, but we’re all different so I’m sure your experience is valid! 🙂

1. » Guest Post: Simple Tips to Get the Edge in Business, Barry Moltz - May 21, 2008

[…] on that habit daily, and watch your energy grow! (Check out VegWeb.com for delicious recipes!) Or try a green smoothie for breakfast!3. Get Enough Rest. Recent studies have shown that there are major health risks if […]

2. Lose Belly Fat - Is It Really Possible? | Life Learning Today - June 15, 2008

[…] Your Fruits/Veggies! This is an easy way to eat healthy. Blend up smoothies, vegetable drinks, or quick puree soups. I can’t recommend anything more highly than a VitaMix […]

3. Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps | Life Learning Today - October 1, 2008

[…] energy and digestive benefits. It’s a little pricey, but I like all the benefits. Try it in a healthy smoothie and you’ll have real energy that lasts all day […]

4. VitaMix 5200 Review: Should You Buy One? | Life Learning Today - November 12, 2011

[…] Smoothies – I have so many variations of smoothies it’s amazing. I save $5+ everytime I make my own! […]

5. Set Yourself Up for Diet Success | Life Learning Today - January 12, 2014