Bounce! Ignore the Fear and Go from Failure to Success!

Bounce!
photo by Robert Brook

Bounce! An Interview with Barry Moltz

Have you ever failed at something? Did you ever have a failure in business or your career? How did you handle it? What about success? What is the best way to define, create, and handle success?

I recently had the great pleasure of reading an exceptional business book called Bounce! by Barry Moltz.

Bounce!Bounce! is a “book about finding success as it comes to you” using the rubber band ball as a metaphor for the cycles of business. Barry Moltz walks his talk when it comes to his “10 Business Bands for True Business Confidence” by sharing his failures as well as his successes. He does this without shame or excuses. He also teaches about:

• Creating Your Own Brand of Success
  • The Art of More Effective Risk-Taking
  • How Process Trumps Outcome

I loved many things about this book, but I think the reason why I loved this book so much was that he is one of very few authors who address the big elephants in the business room: Failure and it’s cousin Fear. The other reason I loved this book is that it not only applies to business, but also to life in general.

Please enjoy this interview with the author of Bounce!, Barry Moltz!

1. Who was the audience you had in mind when you wrote this book? Who do you think can benefit most from your 10 Building Bands?

I always start from a business audience place since that is my background…especially those of us who own small businesses or who are entrepreneurs. But as I wrote the book, I realized it is applicable for everyone’s life. We all have good times and bad times and we need to figure out how to navigate through them. Bouncing helps! If we can let go of what ever the last result was, success or failure, and bounce! – take another action, it will get us ready for our next success.

The people who can benefit the most from the 10 building bands are those who understand that there are not 5 linear steps to success. The building bands are guideposts that we can learn from in our journey. Like a rubber band ball, we build our lives without a lot of symmetry. We layer our experiences on top of each other like forming this ball. If we can recognize these ten bands then we can get déjà vu on our journey and move through each of the challenges more quickly.

2. Why focus on failure so much? Isn’t that negative?

I am trying to get people not to focus on failure! As The Secret’s Rhonda Byrne and Earl Nightengale say, we become what we think about. My calling out failure, by admitting that it visits all of us, we can let go of the awkwardness and shame that come with it. By stating that there isn’t always something to learn from failure, that sometimes it just sucks will free us. This allows us to let go of failure and bounce, take an action which will get us closer to another success. We need to find different words to describe failure and realize that like success, it is just part of the business cycle.

3. What is the best way to re-group when failure strikes and the pain is still fresh? How about if the failure leaves you financially strapped?

I think it is good to wallow in your failure and grief for awhile. You deserve it! Have a pity party for 24 hours but then let it go, learn what you can if anything and move on. Letting go of failure is actually difficult because we are taught that quitters never win and winners never quit. Nonsense. Winners know when to quit.

If you are left financially devastated after a failure, think about the small, patient interim goals you can set that do not require a lot of money so you can move forward to a different place then where you are. Take action! Downsize your dreams! Come up with a new brand of success that is about something in addition to money- Money plus goals. If you strive for minimal achievement, you can focus on one small thing, increase your power for action and conserve financial resources.

4. What advice do you have for someone who wants to start a small business, but they are afraid of failure? Is it possible to lower the risk of failure if they use careful planning?

It alright to be afraid. We all are. I think it is silly when people say not be afraid or that failuire is not an option. We are all afraid and in fact, failure is a likely outcome. I think that even if we are afraid and we can deal with the outcome, we should go ahead and do it anyways. Learn to make those fear butterflies in your stomach “fly in formation”. The best way out is always through.

We can lower the risk by setting patient interim goals. Forget about taking a giant step. Forget about getting a foothold toward your goal. Get a toehold. Take one small step or action forward and test the result. Based on that outcome, take another step and so on. It will be slow progress and a zigzag path, but it is a more sure footed way to get there. It will also reduce the fear since you can check your progress at each step along the way.

5. I love your saying, “Skip the logo, take a step.” What is a quick and dirty litmus test to know which things you need to do before taking action?

We spend far too much time planning in business. It is out of our own fear of failure. We need to outlaw premeditated business. The best litmus test is to ask a customer- “Will you buy my product?” The customer will tell you what they need before you complete the sale to them. This feedback is the most important test. In fact, I tell salespeople there job is to get the prospect to say no. Most prospects just say maybe and it prevents us from moving forward to find other prospects that can say yes! If you find prospects that are in pain and the money to solve that pain, they will buy from you. All other tests become irrelevant.

6. Since seeing is believing, Can you give us some examples of some well-known people that you think naturally live the 10 Business Building Bands?

I think you will find many people that you know in your lives do. No, not the celebrities because there is too much hype or artificialness in their lives. But, most importantly, we need to stop looking at anyone else. We need to look at ourselves and how can we utilize the ten bands. We should not to look at other people as our guide. Comparing ourselves to others is a loser’s game. There is always someone who is richer, smarter or better looking than you. We are our own guide and we need to only measure ourselves against the goal we have set for ourselves. Sometimes, this does not come naturally to any of us since we have been conditioned all our lives another way. We are conditioned by our environment to expect success, and fear failure. We need to let go of both of these.

7. Can you share some of what your own personal measurement system is for success?

Our goal should be how to be happily successful. My measurement system is- can I financially support my family by doing something I have passion for and enjoy? Through my speaking, writing and family business consulting, I am fortunate that I am able to achieve success. There is no better demonstration of success than after a speaking engagement, a person from the audience comes up to me and says, “What you said just changed my life. Thank you.” This is as good as it gets!

Thank you, Barry! What fantastic insights! Wishing you much continued success!

If you are thinking of starting a new business and you are afraid of failure, you should read Bounce! If you’re thinking of starting a business and you’re not afraid of failure, you should also read Bounce!

Bounce! will soon be a business classic. I highly recommend picking up a copy so you can start bouncing too!

What are your thoughts on business, failure, success, and fear? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

Support Life Learning Today

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

, , ,

47 Responses to Bounce! Ignore the Fear and Go from Failure to Success!

1. Evan March 13, 2008 at 9:02 pm #

Thanks – Barry sounds like a great guy and Bounce sounds like a great book.

I think advice like “feel the fear and do it anyway” can be bravado and lead to foolish behaviour.

My advice: feel the fear, find out why it’s there (you may be in danger), think about what you want, decide if you can eliminate some or all of the risk, maybe find a way to test things out, decide, do what you want to do.

2. fathersez March 13, 2008 at 9:29 pm #

I like the statement, How Process Trumps Outcome.

We have to keep plodding away at the process/ plan we believe to be right and the results will prevail, despite occassional hiccups.

3. Craig Harper - Motivational Speaker March 14, 2008 at 6:38 am #

Great post agentsully!

I believe that defining success is easy and that it is actually the same for everyone.

What does everyone really want?

Happiness.

Happiness = Success.

We might label it different things (peace, contentment, fulfillment, joy, fun) but we’re all really talking about the same thing.

We’re talking about an internal state… not an external thing.

Why then, are we so externally focused?

I believe that, on some level, we all know that it’s not about financial wealth but somehow, somewhere, we bought into the lie.

You know you’re truly happy when you don’t really want anything else.

The tricky bit is finding out what truly makes you happy.

Not what the gurus, book or DVD’s tell you will make you happy… but what your heart (not your head) tells you.

Here’s a hint; it probably won’t be money or stuff.

I’m off to read more of your posts.

Craig

4. agentsully March 14, 2008 at 10:25 am #

@Craig -So true! Thanks so much for your support and comment! I’m a big fan of your site! Glad to have you here at LLT!

5. agentsully March 14, 2008 at 10:27 am #

@Fathersez – thanks for sharing your opinion. I agree – the process should always be a work in progress. Can’t get too comfortable. Hope to see you here again!

6. agentsully March 14, 2008 at 10:28 am #

@Evan – you are right! Fear does serve a purpose. We need to listen to it, but not be paralyzed by it. Thank you for joining the discussion!!

7. Barry Moltz March 14, 2008 at 6:13 pm #

@Evan – I think it is okay to feel fear. Too much of our culture says that we should not be afraid. I say if we can handle the outcome we should move forward despite the fear. As my mentor says, when he was at bayonet training in WWII, there are only two types of people, “the quick and the dead”.

8. Barry Moltz March 14, 2008 at 6:15 pm #

@ Craig. Good points. I believe success has to include money at some level. It is the way we keep score. But if it is only about money then it can be hollow. We need to think about what are the money plus goals? How do we become happily successful?

9. Karl Staib - Your Work Happiness Matters March 15, 2008 at 3:58 pm #

#2 is my favorite. By focusing on the failure we can take a time to learn and even enjoy the process of creating a business or becoming more successful at the company we work for. I believe all great leaders, even of themselves, understand their failures and improve on their mistakes.

Great job!

10. Isidor March 15, 2008 at 5:15 pm #

Looking for Bounce at local area. Thanks for target.

11. Milan March 17, 2008 at 12:42 am #

Seem like he is offering some pretty down to earth advice and bouncing back is a good metaphor.

12. theregoesdave March 17, 2008 at 10:45 am #

I really like Barry’s approach in this book. It can be hard to remember that everyone will encounter roadblocks. The hardest part is continuing to go after your goals and to turn failures into learning experience.

Thanks agentsully!

13. Barry Moltz March 18, 2008 at 10:25 am #

Sometimes there is something to learn from failure but many times there is not. We should learn something if we can but searching to learn something from failure can keep us stuck…we need to let go of both success and failure so we can take action and get to another success!

14. Jim March 18, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

Looks like a solid book to promote. Thanks for the information 🙂

15. adult dyslexia March 19, 2008 at 2:10 pm #

Nice interview! I am excited to look into the book I have never seen anything like it that discusses the sensitive issues that it does.

16. Las Vegas Homes Guy March 19, 2008 at 8:15 pm #

I forget who it was that said it, but a common trait found among really successful people is that they have had to start over in life at least once.

17. Music.Podfire.org March 20, 2008 at 12:40 pm #

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog.

18. sunnyray meditations March 21, 2008 at 7:41 am #

I agree that we should not focus on the negative side, be it fear of failure or on anything else. Being positive all the time increases the chances for success. Thanks for sharing this interview!

19. agentsully March 21, 2008 at 10:14 pm #

@sunnyray – thank you!

20. agentsully March 21, 2008 at 10:20 pm #

Hi Music – thanks for saying hi!

21. Jim March 24, 2008 at 12:08 pm #

This is a really nice post. The sort of bounce back keep on trying optimism is perhaps the single most important aspect of success.

22. San Diego Traveler March 24, 2008 at 5:11 pm #

This was great….I do feel that failure with business and how to overcome fear applies just as relevantly tot the rest of your life.

23. agentsully March 25, 2008 at 11:39 am #

Thanks Jim! Welcome!

24. agentsully March 25, 2008 at 3:14 pm #

@SD Traveler – thanks for your comment!

25. agentsully March 25, 2008 at 3:14 pm #

@Jim – so true! Thanks for your support!

26. dave March 30, 2008 at 7:52 pm #

Some great points here. I’ve just started working for myself and have become very familiar with fear of failure. Thanks!

27. Orlando April 1, 2008 at 2:47 pm #

Great book idea. I’ve always had a fear of speaking in large groups. I feel it may be holding me back from promotions. I appreciate your sharing. I’ll check out the book.

28. Joey April 2, 2008 at 1:21 am #

It’s funny, I read this post wanting to learn about “bouncing” but the favourite point I took away from this interview is: “My measurement system is- can I financially support my family by doing something I have passion for and enjoy?”

I work a lot with kids… one BIG thing I notice is how quickly they “bounce” back and are not afraid to try new things.

It always inspires me to become more childlike and step out and “do what feels right”.

29. Barry Moltz April 2, 2008 at 9:45 am #

I am still nervous when I get up in front of people everytime I speak (about 50 times a year). Two things I do- practice my speaking alot! This brings confidence and enables you to get comfortable early. Second, I meet the audience before giving out buttons or talking to them so I can connect with warm faces in the audience when I speak! It is okay to have fear- it can give us energy!

30. Crystal Point April 2, 2008 at 8:45 pm #

Hey Abraham Lincoln failed constantly before he became president. People who succeed without ever failing will never appreciate their success.

31. Caymon Islands April 3, 2008 at 4:29 am #

Bouncing back, that seems like such a simple idea, but can go a log way if you really think about it. Really like the picture of the rubberband too..

32. Barry Moltz April 3, 2008 at 11:48 am #

Joey, that’s why I talk in terms of Money Plus goals- besides Money, what will make you feel happily successful?

33. agentsully April 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm #

@Cayman – true. I love the pic too!

@Crystal -Abe Lincoln is a great example!

34. agentsully April 3, 2008 at 11:30 pm #

@Barry – I like that! “fear…gives us energy!”

35. agentsully April 3, 2008 at 11:34 pm #

@Joey – thanks for stopping to share your thoughts. I also am very inspired by children. I need to find ways to remember that when life gets too hectic!

36. Daniel April 7, 2008 at 2:08 am #

sometimes a 100 successes cannot teach u what one failure can teach 100 things. its just that we shud learn from the failures rather than consigning them to the pages of past.

37. tony April 7, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

Thanks for your sharing. It is a great book…providing much insights to achieving happiness and success. Me still searching for that benchmark that I can say I have succeeded in life.

38. Miami web design April 8, 2008 at 8:42 am #

Once again, this proves that if properly motivated, one can achieve anything he wants!

39. Barry Moltz April 10, 2008 at 11:49 am #

Tony- I think we need to figure out what will make us happily successful and come up with our own definition of success.

40. Hybrid Car Owner May 6, 2008 at 4:15 pm #

This looks like a great book. I’m currently starting my own business and this looks exactly like the type of book I need. Thanks for the post.

41. Barry Moltz May 12, 2008 at 9:57 pm #

@Hybrid
    Let me know if I can help- my first book was specifically about the challenges of strating a business.- “You Need to Be A Little Crazy!”

42. Jag May 14, 2008 at 4:46 pm #

Hi agentsully,

You know the title of this post reminds me of something about how to deal with failure.

“It’s not about how hard you fall. But how high you bounce back.”

Cheers,
    Jag

43. prosperingservant November 8, 2008 at 3:56 pm #

I can definitely relate to the stories of failing and then bouncing back. I was laid off after 9/11 and learned many techniques for surviving and getting my career back on track. I have a series of blog posts about that experience at link that comes with this comment.

44. Wild Rose Yoga September 20, 2010 at 2:53 am #

Great interview! I’ll look for the book in some of the local Chiang Mai book stores.

45. Robert C October 5, 2010 at 5:01 pm #

Great article, it’s hard to get over the fear, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

46. Nick H March 26, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

Feel the fear and do it anyway. Fear is just life’s way of helping us to grow!

1. The Office Gal Link Love #4 | The Office Gal - June 5, 2008

[…] Permanent Link to Bounce! Ignore the Fear and Go from Failure to Success! @ Life Learning Today. […]