5 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier

healthy-eating
photo by The Wandering Angel

I was inspired recently by a series of posts by Steve Pavlina on his 30 day experiment eating a raw diet. Since reading most of his posts I have started making some changes in how I eat. When I think about how I have gone from being a true junk food junkie about 5 years ago to now eating very healthy, I realize that I made small changes along the way.

Now I am not a raw foodist and I’m not a vegetarian, but I may become close to one someday. For now, I have been taking the approach of slowly substituting healthier choices more and more. And from all the reading that I’ve done, including a fantastic book called The China Study, it appears that eating lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains is the healthiest way to live. It lengthens life and improves the quality of your life with better health and more energy.

Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to eat animal food products and in fact those types of foods are what leads to today’s top killer diseases. You don’t even need that much protein in your diet. You can actually get all the protein you need from fruits, vegetables and whole grains! Yes, it’s true! I haven’t cut out all animal foods, but the less I eat of them, the less I want to eat them.

So I thought I would suggest 5 simple food ideas that you could incorporate into your day to begin a habit of eating healthier. My recommendation is to implement one idea each day. As you go along in your life you may choose to add more healthy choices, and hopefully one day you’ll wake up and realize that you have become a healthy eater!

1. Eat a Raw Breakfast. Before you cringe, let me tell you this is so delicious. Once you try it, you’ll be hooked.

Green Smoothie

In a blender mix:

• 2 Bananas
  • 1 Cup berries (any kind, frozen is perfect)
  • 1-2 cups spinach or any other type of green leafy vegetable
  • 1 cup water

Optional (these are not vegetarian)

• 1 scoop whey protein
  • 1/4 cup yogurt (plain, vanilla, lowfat, no fat, whatever you like)

green smoothie

photo by faster panda kill kill

And if you want to become serious about eating healthier, I can’t recommend anything more highly than a VitaMix blender. It’s a little pricey, but they last a lifetime and they make eating healthy a breeze. I love mine!
2. Eat a Green Lunch. Here are two great choices.

Hearty Salad

• 3-4 cups greens (baby spinach, romaine, field greens, arrugala)
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 1 chopped avacado
  • onion
  • olives
  • 1/2 – 1 cup chickpeas

Dressing Ideas

• 1/4 cup Hummous, Tabouli, or Baba Ganouj
  • 2 Tbsp your favorite dressing

Optional (non-vegetarian)

• 2-4 oz grilled chicken breast
  • toasted whole grain bread (Alvarado, Ezekiel 4:9) with 1 tspn olive oil and shredded garlic

Avacado Salad

• 2-3 mashed avacados
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in halves
  • onion to taste
  • 1 clove grated garlic
  • 1/4 lemon or lime juice
  • 1-2 stalks celery

Eat this on either

• 1-2 slices toasted whole grain bread
  • several whole romain leaves as a roll-up

3. Eat a Healthy Snack. Choose fruit for your snack and bear in mind that you can’t eat too much fruit. Don’t believe the old notions about it having too much fructose. Fruit also has fiber which evens out the fructose. No need to stop at 1 banana. If you need it, have two!

Yummy Apples

• 1-2 cut up apples
  • 2 Tbspn natural peanut butter

(Peanut butter is OK in small amounts, but get the natural kind with no sugar or hydrogenated oils. The ingredients should say: “Peanuts, salt”)

4. Eat a Veggie Dinner. When you eat a veggie dinner like this it takes a little longer to eat, but it’s quick to cook. Also, keep in mind that since your body will digest this food faster than animal based food, you will likely need an early evening snack/dessert.

Green Bean Delight (feeds 1 person)
Saute in a frying pan:

• 1 large bag of fresh green beans
  • 1 8 oz box of mushrooms (your favorite kind) (mushrooms boost your immunity!)
  • 1 Tspn of olive oil and/or 1/4 cup water to steam/saute – at the end the water should be mostly all evaporated. Add more water a little at a time if needed during cooking.
  • 1 clove grated garlic – add at the end.

Cook on medium high, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are cooked. At that point the beans will be cooked but still crisp. Add the garlic during the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of cooking and stir briskly to keep garlic from burning.

5. Enjoy a Nutritious Dessert. This is not vegetarian because of the yogurt, but it’s still healthier than plain ice cream. The lower the fat content you choose the healthier it will be.

Creamy Fruit Smash
Combine either chopped or mixed into a smoothie. Choose one or all of these fruits:

• 1-2 Mangoes
  • 1-2 cups berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blueberries (wild=best) – a frozen mix is easiest) Leave frozen for smoothie or defrost for 20 minutes if leaving whole.
  • 1 cup yogurt

fruit-smoothie

photo by traci_todd112
Enjoy!

And please share your favorite healthy recipes with us in the comments below! If you like this, please share with a friend or on your favorite bookmarking service.

Support Life Learning Today

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

, , ,

84 Responses to 5 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier

1. Carey Mathias April 7, 2008 at 10:14 pm #

mmm! That green smoothie looks appetizing. Never been a fan of spinach, but i’ll be sure to try it. 🙂

2. Mike W. April 8, 2008 at 6:07 pm #

Thanks for the great tips.

Eating healthy is tough to do. I’ve been trying to eat well, but I tend to run out of ideas for foods that are healthy AND tasty. I’ll definitely be using your advice, as well as some variations on the things you’ve listed.

3. Utah Warehousing April 9, 2008 at 5:24 pm #

That green slushy drink looks intriguing! Id love to sip on one of those while im driving. maybe its time i get myself a blender..
    ~Mike

4. aerobatics instruction April 12, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

Thanks for sharing. I am so lucky that I love healthy food 😉

5. One Year Millionaire June 25, 2008 at 10:21 am #

I think that eating healthy should be the concern of many more people…

6. Raw Food Diet News July 6, 2008 at 12:28 pm #

Thanks for the article. I’m on a high-raw non vegan diet. I tried going 100% raw but it wasn’t for me. I think the most important thing is to learn how to listen to your body.

I started eating healthier after realising that certain foods (pastries, too much bread, processed meat) made me feel bloated, lethargic and sometimes even depressed. Switching to a hi raw diet has been a revelation. My energy has increased, I’ve lost weight and have a generally more positive outlook on life.

I highly recommend to everyone to incorporate more raw foods into your lifestyle.

BTW Steve Pavlina rocks!

7. Evan July 9, 2008 at 8:30 pm #

The good feelings from switching diets can be due to cleansing. This may mean that it is not a good idea to stay on it once the cleansing is done. As Raw Food Diet News says, the most important thing is listening to our bodies.

8. agentsully July 9, 2008 at 8:43 pm #

@Raw Food – I agree that the more raw vegan foods we can eat in place of poorer food choices, the healthier we will be! Rock on!

9. Troy July 10, 2008 at 11:51 am #

I just bought myself a blender and tried your green smoothy. Very tasty! I also tried it with broccoli which was also nice.

10. paul August 27, 2008 at 11:15 pm #

I agree that switching to a healthy diet can make you feel much better, but that feeling isn’t going to last. Still, you have to keep eating better.

11. Arch-Angela August 31, 2008 at 10:36 am #

Hey Utah Transport,
    I have for breafast the spinachy smoothie trust me is delicious 🙂

12. Greg September 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm #

I switched from being a major carnivore to a vegetarian diet several years ago, and have lost 90 pounds and am in the best shape of my life. Once you make this your way of life, you’ll never want to turn back to the way the world eats. One thing I wanted to mention on the protein source subject is 1) ground flaxseed and 2) ground hempseed. I prefer hempseed but I use both extensively in my green shakes. Both hempseed and flaxseed are loaded with Omega 3’s, as well as full complex proteins. If you haven’t tried ground hempseed, you owe yourself the treat.

13. Personal Trainer March 23, 2009 at 1:16 am #

DON’T FORGET YOUR OMEGA 3s!!!!!!!

Throw some flax meal in any of the smoothies to add healthy fiber, antioxidants and the aforementioned healthy fats.

14. Diet al March 28, 2009 at 6:40 pm #

good to see that you have some protein in your recipes. Too many smoothies made at home only contain fruit. Protein of course helps to lower the gi. And most people eat too many carbs and not enough protein.

15. True Protein Coupon May 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm #

They make Vegetarian protein powders too. Some include Pea Protein (gemma) and Rice Protein. So there are options for vegetarian athletes to get larger doses of protein.

• agentsully May 16, 2009 at 1:57 pm #

@TrueProtein – that’s good to know. There’s also soy protein, hemp protein and more. If you check out my article on Healthy Living you can see that you don’t actually need nearly as much protein as we were all brought up to believe. Also check out “The China Study” for more info on the best way to eat, including some very interesting revelations about protein! (for example, too much is linked to cancer)

16. Acai Berry Juice May 18, 2009 at 6:45 pm #

Your recipes look excellent. They have the protein and other vitamins we really need to get on a daily basis. Thanks for sharing I will be trying at least one of these!

17. Rick Daley May 21, 2009 at 12:07 am #

Thank you for the great raw food article and info.
    Great looking website.

18. Mediterranean Diet Blog June 18, 2009 at 3:35 pm #

You make an excellent point: raw foodist, vegetarian or not, we can all make benefits by slowly making changes in our diets. If you slowly change your diet to a healthier one, your body and your mind will adjust and you won’t suffer the stress as many people do when they go on a strict diet. This will improve the quality of your life, and any weight loss that comes from new healthy diet will be long term.

• agentsully July 8, 2009 at 2:45 pm #

@Mediterranean Diet Blog – yes, indeed! slow changes are the best! They really stick!

1. ChicMVP.com » Blog Archive » The greatest investment - September 19, 2008

2. VitaMix 5200 Review: Should You Buy One? | Life Learning Today - December 8, 2009

1. […] The Vitamix blender is one of the only blenders, that can complete tasks of a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle with ease and warranty. I’m not saying it’s the OMEGA because I don’t own it, but comparable to other blenders that’s its competition….. the Vitamix is the one. And if you want to become serious about eating healthier, I can’t recommend anything more highly than a VitaMix blender. It’s a little pricey, but they last a lifetime and they make eating healthy a breeze [Source] […]

2. […] to make myself. Now that I’ve become more health conscious, I have really learned how to eat healthy. And now my grocery bills are so much less. That really helps in this […]

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes