5 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier

healthy-eating
photo by The Wandering Angel

I was inspired recently by a series of posts by Steve Pavlina on his 30 day experiment eating a raw diet. Since reading most of his posts I have started making some changes in how I eat. When I think about how I have gone from being a true junk food junkie about 5 years ago to now eating very healthy, I realize that I made small changes along the way.

Now I am not a raw foodist and I’m not a vegetarian, but I may become close to one someday. For now, I have been taking the approach of slowly substituting healthier choices more and more. And from all the reading that I’ve done, including a fantastic book called The China Study, it appears that eating lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains is the healthiest way to live. It lengthens life and improves the quality of your life with better health and more energy.

Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to eat animal food products and in fact those types of foods are what leads to today’s top killer diseases. You don’t even need that much protein in your diet. You can actually get all the protein you need from fruits, vegetables and whole grains! Yes, it’s true! I haven’t cut out all animal foods, but the less I eat of them, the less I want to eat them.

So I thought I would suggest 5 simple food ideas that you could incorporate into your day to begin a habit of eating healthier. My recommendation is to implement one idea each day. As you go along in your life you may choose to add more healthy choices, and hopefully one day you’ll wake up and realize that you have become a healthy eater!

1. Eat a Raw Breakfast. Before you cringe, let me tell you this is so delicious. Once you try it, you’ll be hooked.

Green Smoothie

In a blender mix:

• 2 Bananas
  • 1 Cup berries (any kind, frozen is perfect)
  • 1-2 cups spinach or any other type of green leafy vegetable
  • 1 cup water

Optional (these are not vegetarian)

• 1 scoop whey protein
  • 1/4 cup yogurt (plain, vanilla, lowfat, no fat, whatever you like)

green smoothie

photo by faster panda kill kill

And if you want to become serious about eating healthier, I can’t recommend anything more highly than a VitaMix blender. It’s a little pricey, but they last a lifetime and they make eating healthy a breeze. I love mine!
2. Eat a Green Lunch. Here are two great choices.

Hearty Salad

• 3-4 cups greens (baby spinach, romaine, field greens, arrugala)
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 1 chopped avacado
  • onion
  • olives
  • 1/2 – 1 cup chickpeas

Dressing Ideas

• 1/4 cup Hummous, Tabouli, or Baba Ganouj
  • 2 Tbsp your favorite dressing

Optional (non-vegetarian)

• 2-4 oz grilled chicken breast
  • toasted whole grain bread (Alvarado, Ezekiel 4:9) with 1 tspn olive oil and shredded garlic

Avacado Salad

• 2-3 mashed avacados
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in halves
  • onion to taste
  • 1 clove grated garlic
  • 1/4 lemon or lime juice
  • 1-2 stalks celery

Eat this on either

• 1-2 slices toasted whole grain bread
  • several whole romain leaves as a roll-up

3. Eat a Healthy Snack. Choose fruit for your snack and bear in mind that you can’t eat too much fruit. Don’t believe the old notions about it having too much fructose. Fruit also has fiber which evens out the fructose. No need to stop at 1 banana. If you need it, have two!

Yummy Apples

• 1-2 cut up apples
  • 2 Tbspn natural peanut butter

(Peanut butter is OK in small amounts, but get the natural kind with no sugar or hydrogenated oils. The ingredients should say: “Peanuts, salt”)

4. Eat a Veggie Dinner. When you eat a veggie dinner like this it takes a little longer to eat, but it’s quick to cook. Also, keep in mind that since your body will digest this food faster than animal based food, you will likely need an early evening snack/dessert.

Green Bean Delight (feeds 1 person)
Saute in a frying pan:

• 1 large bag of fresh green beans
  • 1 8 oz box of mushrooms (your favorite kind) (mushrooms boost your immunity!)
  • 1 Tspn of olive oil and/or 1/4 cup water to steam/saute – at the end the water should be mostly all evaporated. Add more water a little at a time if needed during cooking.
  • 1 clove grated garlic – add at the end.

Cook on medium high, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are cooked. At that point the beans will be cooked but still crisp. Add the garlic during the last 30 seconds to 1 minute of cooking and stir briskly to keep garlic from burning.

5. Enjoy a Nutritious Dessert. This is not vegetarian because of the yogurt, but it’s still healthier than plain ice cream. The lower the fat content you choose the healthier it will be.

Creamy Fruit Smash
Combine either chopped or mixed into a smoothie. Choose one or all of these fruits:

• 1-2 Mangoes
  • 1-2 cups berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blueberries (wild=best) – a frozen mix is easiest) Leave frozen for smoothie or defrost for 20 minutes if leaving whole.
  • 1 cup yogurt

fruit-smoothie

photo by traci_todd112
Enjoy!

And please share your favorite healthy recipes with us in the comments below! If you like this, please share with a friend or on your favorite bookmarking service.

Support Life Learning Today

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

, , ,

84 Responses to 5 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier

1. Gutschein Wurst January 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Thanks for this great post. Please write more about topics like this one.

2. Melanie - Gutschein News March 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm #

Respect for your stamina. I think it’s not easy these days to eat healthily, but it’s really important. In this respect, the great tips here which I shall try it.

3. BodyBuildInner March 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm #

Interesting!! I want to try to know how’s the taste.

4. Mediterranean diet April 8, 2010 at 8:41 pm #

I am really impressed with the very first image you used on this site. There’s nothing like a sledgehammer effect from anti-oxidants like berries. That’s one of the most refreshing images I’ve seen of berries. I also liked your green smoothie recipe and have borrowed it to try out. Thanks.

5. Charmainelim May 25, 2010 at 1:02 am #

In my opinion, we should not deprive ourselves of food, especially our favorite food. Instead we should eat moderately and workout regularly.

6. Richard August 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm #

Great call on the healthy green smoothie… I love them too! But I’d avoid the whey protein. In the China Study, which you mentioned, they found that whey protein is the worst! I like rice protein since soy is also really bad for you.

• AgentSully August 21, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

You are so right, Richard!

I wouldn’t use whey protein anymore. There’s no need for it! And it’s not good for you.

There’s enough protein in the spinach or kale if you use enough of it. I use rice milk as the base.

7. Water Cooler : October 28, 2010 at 6:01 am #

i think that we should focus more on healthy eating to avoid diabetes and cardiovascular diseases'”‘

8. Fernseher December 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

I love smoothies and a green one is even better, thanks for this little secret “sauce” formula!

9. chainreaction January 10, 2011 at 2:53 am #

good tips for healthy eating. Great site for healthy foods.Some good smoothie receipes.

10. Zambroza January 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

Great stuff this. I make a similar green smoothie and my husband and I have one each morning. It’s amazing how it adds to one’s vitality by giving you a huge shot of ‘health’ first thing. Sure, it takes a little getting used to but it’s so worth it.

I’ll give your recipe a try tomorrow morning and see how we get on! Thanks also for the other ideas.

11. vegan protein January 27, 2011 at 1:43 am #

Brilliant theory, it proves the absolute importance of healthy eating. Of course, following the “5 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier” mentioned above, you can get good benefits which is Nutrition fact which can change your body shape as well as your weight. Aside from that, eating healthier lead you to a longer fulfilling life.

12. Zambroza February 1, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Reading this reminded me of that show that Jamie Oliver did on TV – The Food Revolution. I think this kind of information that you’re providing needs to get out to a LOT more people, as we’re killing ourselves and our children with some serious health issues due to processed food.

Thanks for a good, clear article.

13. MATHEW CANTER February 28, 2011 at 6:07 am #

EXCLLENT APPROCH,BUT I MUST ADD HERE THAT EVERY ONE HAS DIFFERENT BEHAVIOUR OF METABOLISM,IF THESE THINGS WORK ON ONE PERSON THEY DONT ON OTHER.

14. Heeltastic May 7, 2011 at 11:35 am #

I would add no.6: avoid processed foods! Eating healthy is so important, and avoiding processed foods is necessary if you want to have a healthy diet (not just to lose weight, but to be healthy).

• AgentSully May 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Heeltadtic – good add!

15. Lisa September 8, 2011 at 7:38 am #

Thanks for the reciepe of the green smoothie. Very tasty. To all of you: eat more fruits and veggies…

16. Matthew C October 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

This is a very informative write-up indeed. For those just starting to eat healthy this is very insightful.

Question: How quickly should one cut back on eating meat if trying to start eating healthy? Should it be immediate or slowly over time?

Also for you all i purchased my Vita Mix from my local city fair. Best price around after 2 months of looking!

• AgentSully November 22, 2011 at 7:04 am #

@Matthew – yes, slowly cutting back on the amount of meat is the best way to do it. Slow and steady wins the race. And the key in all things is moderation. Good luck!

17. @ConsumerHDigest February 18, 2015 at 7:26 am #

5 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier | Life Learning Today http://t.co/9AKnfj0lqt via @agentsully

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes