10 Steps to Handle Relationship Conflicts

argument-and-conflict

photo by Nosleeper

If you are having conflicts in one of your relationships, and if you want to find a constructive way to deal with that, consider these 10 steps to bring harmony back to your relationship. You can read them in my article over at Dumb Little Man.

10 Steps to Handle Relationship Conflicts

How do you handle conflict? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

You can Support Life Learning Today by visiting one of my sponsors, making a donation, or making a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

42 Responses to 10 Steps to Handle Relationship Conflicts

1. Scott February 21, 2008 at 9:31 am #

I fully agree your tips on the 10 steps to handle relationship conflicts especially on “Better to Be Happy than to Be Right”

Scott

2. beth in greensboro February 21, 2008 at 10:54 am #

My rule: Never, ever… ever… go to bad mad at one another.

3. Marian Matys February 22, 2008 at 6:31 pm #

First rule is always the same: slow down, thats very important!

4. Sarasota Real Estate February 23, 2008 at 7:43 am #

Thanks for the post.Keep posting man.

5. Gültekin DAL February 23, 2008 at 9:49 am #

VERYYY GOODD THANK

6. Artikelverzeichnis February 23, 2008 at 2:38 pm #

I also agree with your “10 Steps to Handle Relationship Conflicts” and beth in greensboro i also follow your rule 🙂

7. eva February 25, 2008 at 12:23 pm #

I am truly moved by no. 2. Everything holds true. Thank you for sharing.

8. Tom Roompot February 28, 2008 at 9:02 am #

“Better to Be Happy than to Be Right” – this is simple yet brilliant. Imo 90% of conflicts can be avoided because they are over things so trivial that it is really not worth fighting over, especially if your relationship is at stake.

9. image consultant February 29, 2008 at 8:12 pm #

A great top 10 – I can think of a couple of friends I’d like to give a copy to… Perhaps, even get made into a fridge magnet so it’s close to them always!

• agentsully March 3, 2008 at 8:34 pm #

@Image consultant – thanks and I always appreciate your comments by the way.

10. agentsully March 3, 2008 at 8:40 pm #

@Tom – thanks!

11. pinay scandal March 4, 2008 at 2:44 am #

The best way to handle conflict in relationship is to win over the other side by ameniable reasons and building foundation of trust.

12. mac March 5, 2008 at 1:44 pm #

Nice tips! me and my wife read it and she love’s it. Conflicts in relationship can be a disaster. It’s nice to see tips like this to help all the readers out there like me.

13. Wayne | affiliate marketing opportunity March 6, 2008 at 10:44 am #

Problems in relationships are not good for either party. But, in some instances you can work things out. However, sometimes one party is just bound and determined to rip the other’s heart out and nothing you can do or say will change their minds.
    It really is a shame as to the condition of our countries relationships have come to.

14. Chris Stormer March 8, 2008 at 2:43 am #

There can be lot problems in our life relating to our relationships but we may not feel comfortable to talk with someone and are not able to solve the problems alone then the only way is to search online. We may find some useful ideas with the help f which we can solve our problems.

15. Gary Ooi March 12, 2008 at 8:31 am #

I would agree to all of it. Gonna take some tip to digest it and appply to my life. Thanks again!

16. Daily Yeah March 13, 2008 at 10:29 pm #

Thanks for the post. We should always try to avoid conflict.

17. Akhmad Guntar March 15, 2008 at 9:10 am #

That’s a very nice tips. Regarding the mutual respect, I couldn’t agree more. Regarding this issue, I believe that total resect must be EARNED.You can’t just walk up to me and EXPECT my total respect without me even knowing you. I can also lose respect at first sight,just by actions or words. It’s not about words alone, since actions are speaking louder than words.

18. dantel modelleri March 15, 2008 at 8:11 pm #

My simple rule is respect the people’s opininons and try to put yourself in their shoes when a conflict occurs.

19. Goddess Kali March 20, 2008 at 8:12 pm #

I’ve found that honesty and open-mindedness are the most important factors to a healthy relationship. Don’t be scared to be honest.

20. Replays March 24, 2008 at 6:26 am #

Cooldown time is the most important… if only certain people would of taken advantage of it, many things might be very different!

21. civita March 27, 2008 at 10:59 am #

This is definitely some good insight into ways to keep a relationship healthy.
    Civita

22. MonkMojo March 28, 2008 at 12:21 pm #

“Better to Be Happy than to Be Right.” True dat!

Featured this article with a webcomic:

23. Joey April 2, 2008 at 1:15 am #

Hey agentsully thanks for sharing!

Those points are really useful and they’ll be good to remember, thanks.

There’s another one that works for me. I’ve realised that most conflicts is usually about an issue or a frustration with a problem… not really with the person themself.

For me it really helps to remember in heated moments that I’m fighting against the PROBLEM, not the PERSON.

24. Leeds Physio April 2, 2008 at 3:03 am #

It depends how important the relationship is – sometimes its just too much fun being right. So its a question of what makes you most happy, being right or being in that relationship.

25. TT LoanShark April 3, 2008 at 8:22 am #

The word ‘relationship’ is dehumanising. I imagine it came from psychoanalysis. Are they your friend, husband, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or lover? Call a thing by its proper name, I say!

26. agentsully April 3, 2008 at 10:46 pm #

@TT – sorry about that. Writing “relationship” was easier because it encompasses every possibility.

27. agentsully April 3, 2008 at 11:33 pm #

@Leeds Physio – good point. I think being right is sometimes more important to some folks. Sometimes it can depend on the cycle we’re in at the moment. Thanks for your comment!

28. agentsully April 3, 2008 at 11:35 pm #

@Joey – that’s a helpful insight “fighting against the problem, not the person.” I’m going to keep that in my back pocket for next time I need it! thanks!

29. Malcom - Grill Accessories April 4, 2008 at 4:44 pm #

Nice article. I really enjoyed it and am gonna implement what I haven’t already into the arguments I have with people in my life. Thanks.

30. agentsully April 5, 2008 at 9:43 am #

@ Malcom – Good luck! Thanks for dropping by!

31. Teenage Love April 25, 2008 at 2:01 pm #

Good advice. Also check my site for relationship advice. These top 10 posts are fantastic.

32. david May 28, 2008 at 1:12 pm #

One of the main rules to remember is that no one wins an argument! And, if you bent on proving that your right you may as well waive goodbye to your partner as their walking out the door!

Check out this Relationship Quiz

33. Loskas June 5, 2008 at 6:11 am #

Thanks for the link! Really helpful to me.

34. Jeennee June 7, 2008 at 5:39 am #

That is one good tip from David. And good post from you.
    I’m trying to be friendly and not to get into any conflicts, but sometimes it just happens..

35. One Year Millionaire June 25, 2008 at 10:22 am #

thanks for this great article… I feel like I am learning so much while browsing your blog!!

36. agentsully July 11, 2008 at 4:50 pm #

@One Year Millionaire – thanks! I’m so glad to hear that!

37. how to get your ex girlfriend back July 19, 2008 at 7:35 pm #

Some really good advice in this article. Just never go to bed mad at each other. Make sure everything is resolved beforehand.

Kudos to you man.

38. garth anthony January 29, 2009 at 10:37 am #

You will never be able to avoid arguments forever,but it is how you deal with them when they come up that matters,silly little things can get blown up out of all proportion in relationships,when you both stand back and look at it you will most likely not even know what started it!

39. Ray February 3, 2009 at 2:19 pm #

I agree address the issues head on and take responsibility. good article!

40. John Paul November 25, 2009 at 6:19 pm #

I’m a firm believer that jealousy is the source of most relationship conflicts. I also believe that love is something that’s meant to be… if you’re a woman who wants to get her ex-boyfriend back it’s important that you take some of the steps outlined in this article. If that still doesn’t work, I think one needs to take unconventional measures.

• agentsully December 8, 2009 at 11:51 am #

@John Paul – thanks for adding your thoughts. I’m curious about the unconventional measures you might suggest. Can you tell us more?