The Seven Steps to Simplicity

simplicity
photo by darkpatator

This is a guest post by Maria Murphy of Simply Put Together.

Finding balance and life satisfaction in today’s world is a challenge, even on a good day. After practicing as a psychotherapist for over 15 years, I have formulated my own philosophy about how to attain a sense of simplicity and balance. I believe there are seven fundamental steps to gaining the life satisfaction many of us seek. These steps are easy to reach when practiced in small steps with consistency and focus. Listed below is the philosophy of The Seven Steps to Simplicity and some examples of how to incorporate them into your life in small, easy to use steps. Find one example below that fits your goals and give it a try!

Slowing Down

We live in a very fast paced world. It’s important to teach ourselves ways to slow down, for both relaxing and creating space to think about what is important to us individually.

• Practice visualization. Use your senses to put yourself in a relaxing scene or setting. Don’t just visualize going to the beach. Ask yourself what the air smells like; is the sand cool, hot? Is it late afternoon with long shadows on the beach or night-time with the moon shining on the water? This exercise can be done in only minutes….almost anywhere and will remind you to slow down.

Managing Our Lives

People who feel in control of their lives feel more successful and confident. This is about developing the tools and mindset to create that sense of personal power.

• Double time yourself. Are you perpetually late? Do you tell yourself you can squeeze in a “quick callâ€? before your meeting begins… in 5 minutes…which is at the other end of the building? Do you think it will take you 20 minutes to get to that meeting across town, but you forget to factor in small things, like finding your keys, 5pm traffic and negotiating a parking spot? If you have this problem, simply face up and double time yourself. Give yourself 40 minutes to get to that meeting and don’t ever pick up the phone 5 minutes before you are scheduled to do something!

Trying New Things

We need to get out of the routine, stay fresh and alive and also break out of old thinking and strengthen problem solving.

• Practice a “what if.â€? Try something you have always wanted to try, but never had the chance or nerve to explore. One of the best ways to stay young is to try new things. This keeps you fresh and it also prevents you from the dangerous world of “I wonder what my life would have been like if I had tried……â€?Have fun and try one of your “what if’s.â€? Always use good judgment, of course.

Personal Wellness

We often let our wellness slip to the wayside when things get busy; taking care of ourselves gives us a better quality of life and keeps us rejuvenated for what is coming next.

• Take a 2 minute time out. Taking time out of our busy days can seem like a daunting task. Sometimes it feels like taking a moment “offâ€? would make the whole boat capsize, but it’s really not true. Instead, when we take a moment here and there, we teach ourselves that we are important and we keep ourselves rejuvenated and refueled. Look for the opportunity to take a moment off.

Thinking of Others

Embrace a philosophy of respect for self and others. This is easy to practice with simple shifts in behavior and communication.

• Own up when you goof up. This is a simple one. Just admit when you are wrong. A simple “Sorry. I thought the movie started at 7, not 630â€? will do wonders. How about “I am so sorry I am late for this meeting.â€? Instead of, “Sorry! Traffic was awful and there was all this construction everywhere, and…..â€? Take responsibility and own up. Your life and relationships will be better for it.

Positive Thought

This is not about “Pollyanna thinking�. It’s about a conscious choice to be positive because it gives, rather than takes, energy.

• Think 3. This takes only a minute or two a day. Think of three things that are good in your life right now. This is simple and will move your mind into the direction of positive thought. This exercise and philosophy are not about pretending negatives don’t exist, just not making the negatives our focal point.

Seize the Day

There is so much joy in life. It’s easy to let that slip between our fingers. But the truth is, soaking in life’s pleasures is a big part of being alive, no matter what is going on in your life.

• Participate. Do you grab on to the moment or let it slip by? When something new and exciting is happening, do you get a knot in your stomach and become afraid to jump in? What if you participated? What if you played waffle ball with the kids or got on the dance floor or spoke up in that meeting and shared your idea? Look for the opportunity to participate in the world around you.

The Seven Steps to Simplicity aren’t all that complicated, but together, they add up to the ability to live a life full of happiness, personal satisfaction and purpose. When you practice these steps in small ways, they become part of you and finding balance and life satisfaction becomes part of your everyday. Good luck, have fun and check out Simply Put Together, the planner that paves a path for change while you organize your daily schedule.

For more details on these steps and Maria’s book visit Simply Put Together.

How do you incorporate simplicity into your life? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

You can Support Life Learning Today by visiting one of my sponsors, making a donation, or making a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

22 Responses to The Seven Steps to Simplicity

1. etavitom February 8, 2008 at 7:47 pm #

This is one of the best postings I have ever read. Thanks so much for the inspiration and have a phenomenal weekend…. Brad

2. RT Cunningham February 9, 2008 at 4:31 am #

I’ve already mastered the first step. 🙂

3. Keith February 11, 2008 at 8:47 am #

Nice article…thanks for sharing. Regards, Keith Johnson, Author “365 Great Affirmations”

4. Mindfulness February 11, 2008 at 9:53 am #

Great post. I’ll stumble it.

Olivier.

5. itv February 11, 2008 at 12:41 pm #

Thank you, I have enjoyed very much. Very good post. I pointed out a few things.

6. Pass the Torch February 12, 2008 at 8:57 am #

Fantastic post – excellent reminders and taken to heart!

7. Everett February 13, 2008 at 12:16 am #

I would like to add:

OWN LESS STUFF

Seriously, the more junk you buy the more you have to work to afford the junk you own. What you own ends up owning you. Does a few extra inches on the TV really make that big of a difference? If your old car still runs fine, what do you need a new one for? Stop giving into the consumer-oriented society and you will live a much more simple, and enjoyable, life.

Thanks for the post. I enjoyed it very much!

8. agentsully February 13, 2008 at 2:08 pm #

@Everett,
    Boy, I totally agree with that one! Such a great suggestion!!! Thanks for commenting!

9. agentsully February 13, 2008 at 2:09 pm #

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

10. Jen, writer MembershipMillionaire.com February 15, 2008 at 11:05 am #

I used to dislike having a simple life. I wanted extravagance and drama because I thought that I would get to have a more meaningful life that way. But it’s been over a year since I discovered the joy in simplicity. For example, you don’t have to do a lot of things during your vacation to say you truly enjoyed your break. All you have to do is savor every moment of your activity and that in itself is meaningful and memorable.

11. Yankee November February 21, 2008 at 7:42 am #

Get what you need,
    not what you want.

12. Bathory February 21, 2008 at 12:56 pm #

13. dutch schultz March 3, 2008 at 1:24 pm #

I really enjoyed your post on life and making it more simple. The part about taking a 2 minute time out was my favorite part. I recently went to couples couseling for the obvious reasons and that was a main part of what he said to do when in the middle of a heated argument. At any rate, great post.

14. the gossip home March 8, 2008 at 8:23 pm #

Hey

Just to say great website

Keep up the good work!!

15. sunnyray meditations March 17, 2008 at 9:57 am #

I liked especially two of the proposed steps to simplicity. Firstly, slowing down is extremely important considering the pace of life we all are forced to conduct today. The exercise you suggest is quite nice, and I would suggest that just siting and doing nothing is also fine. Secondly, the power of positive thinking is really important, as it can literary shape our life and guide us into success.
    And not to forget to mention how cool the above photo is. Greetings, and thank for the cool post.

16. Kalvin C. Chinyere, M.D. April 2, 2008 at 11:39 am #

I need to follow these rules because my life is messed up.

17. funny t-shirts May 3, 2008 at 7:51 pm #

Simplicity sounds so complicated until I read your post and I realize that it can be simple, if we put our minds to it. Not sure about anyone else but I can use some of these steps immediately. Thanks

18. Loskas June 5, 2008 at 4:56 am #

Really good steps. I often find myself hurrying and worrying all the time. I need to slow down dometimes.

19. Jeennee June 7, 2008 at 5:32 am #

Very nice post. I already get on good mood just by reading these posts. I got to try to master these steps.

20. Going2Oahu June 19, 2008 at 10:49 am #

This is a very nice list. In Hawaii, many of us try to maintain a state of aloha throughout the day, and it begins with something as simple as waking up with a smile.

21. Mindfulness February 5, 2009 at 5:53 pm #

Great post Maria! Adding a little simplicity to our lives seems like the only way to survive these days. I want to recommend to your readers a meditation technique called mindfulness that’s all about living in the moment. It’s a little different from the positive thought step u mentioned in that mindfulness is about acknowledging the good or the bad in every moment in an unbiased way. You do write that positive thought is not about pretending negatives don’t exist – and kudos on that point. We shouldn’t ignore the bad stuff in our lives because then it becomes harder for us to fix it.

1. Writing Power's Links To Love: February 24 | Writing Power - February 24, 2008

[…] http://lifelearningtoday.com/2008/02/08/the-seven-steps-to-simplicity/ A lovely take on simplicity. […]