Blog Action Day

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

If you’re like me, thinking about global warming and the health of our environment is alarming. It makes me want to take action. The health of our planet directly affects our own health, so it is a no-brainer to begin to change our own behaviors and do everything we can to make a difference.

Over the last 9 months I’ve learned a lot about “Going Green.” I can’t say that I’m making a huge difference yet, but over time I’ve changed some habits and I plan to keep looking for more ways to lessen my impact on the environment. I know that by being one link in a long chain of others, together we can make a huge difference. Hopefully this one blog post may inspire you to find ways to keep our planet healthy. That’s why I’m participating in Blog Action Day.

Making a Difference: My Favorite Cool Green Habits

Simply by being aware of things you can do, you’ll be more likely to take action. So I thought I would list my personal favorites that I’ve learned and use. Each of the headings below links to a more in depth article on that topic.

Green Cleaning:

• Using baking soda and vinegar as cleaning agents is an eco-friendly way to keep your home spic-n-span.
  • House Plants! The all natural air freshener. My favorite is to grow some herbs like basil and parsley.
  • Plant a Tree! If everyone in the United States planted a tree, that would be 300 million new trees!
  • Air Freshener: boil citrus fruit skins in water for 30 minutes.

Things You Can Do Today to Help Save the Environment

• Unplug unused electronics.
  • Print less and reuse the blank side of garbage paper.
  • Recycle as much as you can: paper, plastics, glass and more.
  • Turn the temperature down 2 degrees on your water heater.
  • Use less water. Try to never leave the water running unnecessarily.
  • Keep your tires fully inflated. Check the pressure monthly.
  • Walk and bicycle instead of driving.
  • Buy local produce.
  • Buy a Hybrid car. (This will be my next car.)
  • See if you can work from home full or part time.
  • Spread the word and enlist others to take part in becoming more environmentally conscious.

Recycle with a Yard Sale

• Don’t just throw out your old stuff. If it’s useful, sell it or donate it.

Top 25 Natural Home Remedies

• Where possible say no to harmful chemical treatments. Instead try out some of these natural home remedies.

Non-Toxic Roach Killer

• This simple, odorless, easy, non-toxic method for killing cockroaches works! And best of all there is no clean up! Really! Check it out!

The Greenest Vehicles of 2007

• If you’re in the market for a new vehicle, be sure to check out this list that was put together by the Sierra Club. It may surprise you.

What have you been doing to go green? What do you think is most important to making a difference? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

If you want to Support Life Learning Today, you can visit one of my sponsors, make a donation, or make a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!

Comments

1. 2
    Jeniffer
    October 15th, 2007 at 7:45 am

Great tips, and so simple! That’s what I love about this–stuff everyone can do, with a tiny bit of effort. And imagine the inpact, if everybody did these few simple things! I have had houseplants seems like forever, plus we planted trees in our yard the year my daughter was born. It never occurred to me I was actually doing good for the environment.

2. 3
    Steve N. Lee
    October 15th, 2007 at 11:22 am

Good to see you’re making an effort not just to make a difference yourself, but encouraging others to do the same so compounding the good effect. It amazes me that so many green tips are not only commonsense but can save you money, yet they go ignored by the general populous as if we, as a species, have some sort of death-wish and the IQ of gnats.

Look at two of your tips – turning off electronics and alternative cleaning agents. Both are financially and logically sound, are mindnumbing simple, and, above all, foolproof, yet some people would more sooner cut off a limb that take a blind bit of notice. It puzzles me that there is still so much debate about the problems our world faces. Even if the doom sayers are all totally wrong and we ‘waste’ our time cleaning up the world, would that be such a bad thing? Would a world with less garbage, less toxic chemicals, less pollution be such a bad world? Talk about a no-brainer!

Good on you.

Steve N. Lee
    Author of eco/religious thriller ‘What if…?’

3. 4
    agentsully
    October 16th, 2007 at 1:39 pm

Jeniffer- isn’t that awesome! thank you for your comment!

Steve – thank you! And I couldn’t agree with you more. You wouldn’t live in a dirty house, right? So why would we want to live in a dirty world? :) Thanks for your commment!

4. 5
    Watch Prison Break
    October 17th, 2007 at 6:29 am

This are precious things you said in the article.My opinion is, if 10 percent of the world population will do this tips it will be sure less pollution, after this 10% be sure it will be 20% and even better.But we have to do by our own, so other can see us, and do the same.
    Good post !!

5. 6
    Matthew Anton
    October 18th, 2007 at 4:36 pm

As I get older I realize just how special the environment is, and what impact we have on it; imagine thinking we can pump all this crap into the air and NOT affect it. These are some good tips and sound advice.

6. 7
    Shawna
    October 18th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Thank you for the great tips. I’m thinking much different now that I just had a baby.

7. 9
    Seattle Graphic Designer
    October 22nd, 2007 at 7:32 pm

Wow, great list….it’s really hard to be conscious of everything you do in regards to being eco-friendly. But great tips, you’ve shed light on some tips that I would have never thought of (water heater). I wish I could buy a Hybrid but they’re not in my price range at all, it seems they price them higher figuring your gonna save money on gas. Thanks

8. 10
    kriti
    January 10th, 2008 at 8:42 am

wow its a mind refreshing tips which i like most u guys are true lover of earth and after going through it i think im one of them. good going guys

9. 11
    Lighting
    April 21st, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Awesome post. So much useful information including the links near the end. I found the green car link to be the most useful cause today major pollution issue comes from our cars. As you can see the gas prices are sky rocketing cause of the gas problems. If everyone buys a green car, it would help the world out.

10. 12
    Kenney
    May 13th, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I have definitely looking at getting a hybrid vehicle. Especially with these high gas prices.

Also we have been not only buying local produce but keeping our own garden.

Kenney

11. 13
    Omni
    May 26th, 2008 at 12:31 pm

“Air Freshener: boil citrus fruit skins in water for 30 minutes.” This is one tip I will definitely follow.

12. 14
    buildandfly
    July 21st, 2008 at 12:22 am

Simply DON’T BUY a long list of things—
    especially things that are used only temporarily:
    NO garbage bags, EVER
    No disposable coffee cups, plates, spoons, knives, forks
    Skip the rinse cycle on most of your laundry
    Use less soap and cleansers for every application
    Don’t waste time recycling, REUSE and don’t buy stuff that cannot be reused.
    Never buy and use a vehicle with automatic transmission and four wheel drive (there us customarily a 40% penalty in fuel mileage over a manual transmission 2WD vehicle)
    Buy prepared groceries on the basis of the reusability of containers. (for example, plastic and cardboard boxes are usually waste–instead, think about straight-sided glass jars for freezer storage of leftovers–fill 3/4 full and cap)
    Set your lawnmower higher than your neighbors and mow far less frequently–in the fall, install multiple blades to pulverize fallen leaves
    Record your miles driven and the exact amount of fuel used. RECORD IT in a log–now start driving as if you had loose eggs in the car–most people can boost fuel mileage by 10 to 20% and it’s rarely mentioned that the need for other automotive services DROPS. fewer brake jobs, tires last longer PLUS there is far less brake dust and rubber dust in the air!
    Use an electric skillet more and a range top and oven less, especially in hot weather. Far more of the heat energy goes directly into the cooking process and far less into the room
    Put your hot water tasks together, avoiding the need to “heat the pipes.” Laundry, dishwashing, and bathing can be done simultaneously or back to back
    Consider zone cooling (window units) instead of whole house air conditioning. The savings can be dramatic. Single room units can be as low as $100 and they are reasonably efficient.
    Reject the “you get what you pay for” dogma. It is true, but only occasionally.
    Don’t be afraid of USED tires. Always make certain that you purchase easy rolling long lasting tires (demand a high treadwear number on the sidewall–shoot for over 400)
    Changing your antifreeze is a COMPLETE waste of money–my car has 325,000 miles, too
    Never turn your rotors or brake drums–I’m 60 and I’ve never needed to, yet–see the other big number, just above–the mileage one.
    Don’t be in a big hurry to buy a new vehicle–drive less and slower for now–the world will be dramatically different in just a couple of years–and you may then ask yourself –WHY DIDN’T I WAIT IT OUT….A BIT? Geez, look at all those cool electric cars and 100 mpg options, etc.

13. 16
    watch prison break episodes
    November 11th, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Well that’s a good post you have posted..great…no doubt that environment is the most important thing to us live in this world..

14. 18
    Janice Wells
    October 25th, 2009 at 5:52 pm

To find even more tried-and-true green habits that are good for the environment, save money and promote a healthy lifestyle, visit Good Green Habits!

15. 19
    Kenneth @ Dallas Real Estate
    January 14th, 2010 at 5:58 pm

great post! everyone should adopt green habits. Dallas is finally jumping on board the green wagon. In fact, I just came across an article that mentioned Dallas was finally working on the first green sustainable neighborhood block in the U.S. Everyone needs to start somewhere….

16. 20
    Jane
    April 26th, 2011 at 10:34 am

Doesn’t green-living and carbon footprint reduction almost always boil down to simple common sense? So much is based on waste-not, want-not and it makes perfect sense.

Trackbacks

1. How Can We Help Save The Earth? : Freelance Folder
  2. Usersky Daily News Network » How Can We Help Save The Earth?
  3. my aim is true » Blog Archive » What will you do?
  4. Too Busy for Climate Change? | Life Learning Today

I want to hear what YOU have to say!

blank