Blog Action Day
If you’re like me, thinking about global warming and the health of our environment is alarming. It makes me want to take action. The health of our planet directly affects our own health, so it is a no-brainer to begin to change our own behaviors and do everything we can to make a difference.
Over the last 9 months I’ve learned a lot about “Going Green.” I can’t say that I’m making a huge difference yet, but over time I’ve changed some habits and I plan to keep looking for more ways to lessen my impact on the environment. I know that by being one link in a long chain of others, together we can make a huge difference. Hopefully this one blog post may inspire you to find ways to keep our planet healthy. That’s why I’m participating in Blog Action Day.
Making a Difference: My Favorite Cool Green Habits
Simply by being aware of things you can do, you’ll be more likely to take action. So I thought I would list my personal favorites that I’ve learned and use. Each of the headings below links to a more in depth article on that topic.
- Using baking soda and vinegar as cleaning agents is an eco-friendly way to keep your home spic-n-span.
- House Plants! The all natural air freshener. My favorite is to grow some herbs like basil and parsley.
- Plant a Tree! If everyone in the United States planted a tree, that would be 300 million new trees!
- Air Freshener: boil citrus fruit skins in water for 30 minutes.
- Unplug unused electronics.
- Print less and reuse the blank side of garbage paper.
- Recycle as much as you can: paper, plastics, glass and more.
- Turn the temperature down 2 degrees on your water heater.
- Use less water. Try to never leave the water running unnecessarily.
- Keep your tires fully inflated. Check the pressure monthly.
- Walk and bicycle instead of driving.
- Buy local produce.
- Buy a Hybrid car. (This will be my next car.)
- See if you can work from home full or part time.
- Spread the word and enlist others to take part in becoming more environmentally conscious.
- Don’t just throw out your old stuff. If it’s useful, sell it or donate it.
- Where possible say no to harmful chemical treatments. Instead try out some of these natural home remedies.
- This simple, odorless, easy, non-toxic method for killing cockroaches works! And best of all there is no clean up! Really! Check it out!
- If you’re in the market for a new vehicle, be sure to check out this list that was put together by the Sierra Club. It may surprise you.
What have you been doing to go green? What do you think is most important to making a difference? All comments big and small are very welcomed!
If you found this post valuable, perhaps youâ€™ll be kind enough to vote for this with a Stumble or Delicious bookmark. Votes are always appreciated!
If you want to Support Life Learning Today, you can visit one of my sponsors, make a donation, or make a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!