A Nurse’s Top Three Tips For Healthy Living

A Nurse’s Top Three Tips For Healthy Living

This is a guest post by Catherine Morgan. Catherine is a writer, nurse, and mother. She has two blogs, Be the Change You Want to See in Yourself and Women4Hope, where she writes about positive life changes, women’s issues, health & wellness, and inspirational thoughts. She is also a contributing editor at BlogHer.org.

1. You are what you eat, and it is never too late to start eating healthy. Every day, try your very best to put healthy foods and plenty of water into your body. When you have a choice between something healthy and something not healthy, go with the healthy choice. But, don’t be too hard on yourself on the days you fall back into old habits. There is no rule that says, to be healthy you have to be perfect. Even if you are eating healthy 50% of the time, that is still better than none of the time.

If you are one to never go for the healthy choice, then start today with a commitment to eat one thing that is good for you (just one thing that you would normally not eat), and do that for a week. After a week, start eating two things that are good for you, and so on, and so on. Before you know it, you’ll be eating healthy half the time…And that’s a great start.

You can start today, loving yourself and your family enough to stop poisoning your body with unhealthy foods. Heart disease is the number one killer in our country. And 80% of heart disease is due to eating an unhealthy diet that leads to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Start today, and take a bite in the right direction…Your heart will thank you.

2. Give yourself some “me” time each and every day, even if you think you don’t need it. This is so often overlooked because we are all so busy with our lives. But, we each have to find time to be one with ourselves, even if it is just a short amount of time. A bath, a silent meditation, an hour to read a book or write in a journal, something that takes us away with ourselves.

If you are thinking that you don’t need to do that, you most likely just don’t know how to do that. Even though taking time to yourself sounds simple, it’s quite difficult and almost scary if you have never been one to do it. So take it slow, sit quietly with yourself (without the t.v. or the radio) for just five minutes. Think about what quiet activity you could do on your own for just a short period of time each day, and then start doing it.

Taking quiet time for yourself each day, is how you help to promote a healthy mind and spirit. And these quiet activities also tend to reduce stress, and even lower blood pressure. So give it a try.

If you are a mom with kids, who never has a free moment…Try involving your children in some way to help you get this precious time. When my children were younger, I had a special book that I would ask them to get me in the morning before I got out of bed. They knew that this was the time of the day that I took ten or fifteen minutes to myself, and they would sit quietly in another room until I was finished – then we would begin our day. It also teaches your children the value of quiet time, and that being alone doesn’t doesn’t have to be boring.

3. Exercising your body and mind. I’m not advocating rigorous exercise, or increasing your exercise quickly or dramatically. I just want to point out the obvious…Being a couch potato is counter productive for the general health and wellness of your body. Increasing your physical activity (even in a small way) is very beneficial.

If you normally don’t get any exercise, try taking a walk around the block, or parking a bit further away from the grocery store, or taking the steps instead of the elevator. Just take baby steps, see what your body can handle, and then gradually do a bit more. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, be kind to yourself, and know that every little bit helps.

*Important Note: Not all people can increase their physical activity without exacerbating a current medical condition. Let me use myself as an example. I have high blood pressure and a few other problems with my heart valves, and light exercise is recommend to me for these conditions. However, I also have Asthma and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and anytime I increase my physical activity even slightly both of these conditions are made worse. But at the same time, there are many other people with Asthma and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that don’t have any problem with small increases in exercise. You need to find what works best for you.

We are all different, and what works for one of us won’t always work for all of us. That is why anyone with a chronic medical condition should always check with their doctor when they decide to increase their activity, even slightly. Your doctor can then give you some guidelines to follow, so you don’t do anything to make your medical problems worse.

When it comes to exercise; more isn’t always better, and pain doesn’t always mean gain. Whether you work-out at a gym, or walk around the block, keeping active is a very important part of keeping healthy. Each of us has to find an activity level that works for us, the important thing is to not stay sedentary. There are even exercises you can do without getting out of your chair. As you begin to increase your activity, you will most likely find you have more energy, and when that happens you will know you are doing something right

And don’t forget about keeping your “mind” active as well. There is scientific proof that as we get older we begin to lose some of our cognitive skills (such as memory), but there is also evidence that we can stop or at least slow that process by giving our brain a daily work-out. You can give your brain a work-out by reading, doing crossword puzzles, playing memory games, and basically anything that makes you think.

If you just make some small changes in your life, better health can be yours. So start today, and be the change you want to see in yourself, and your health…It’s as easy as one, two, three.

What are your favorite tips for healthy living? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

If you want to Support Life Learning Today, you can visit one of my sponsors, make a donation, or make a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!

27 Responses to A Nurse’s Top Three Tips For Healthy Living

1. John W. McKenna September 4, 2007 at 3:16 am #

Agentsully

You’ve been tagged for the “Does Most Leadership Suck Challenge�. Check the link for details.

Take care…

JMW

2. present September 4, 2007 at 3:17 pm #

Interesting blog, thank you for sharing!

3. Jess October 6, 2007 at 12:57 pm #

“stop poisoning your body with unhealthy foods” – i like that line as it applies to almost everyone in this modern world where junk foods are very popular.
    All 3 tips are great!

4. Mopz October 11, 2007 at 3:23 pm #

Interesting blog, thank you for sharing!

5. agentsully October 16, 2007 at 1:53 pm #

Jess – thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Mopz – thanks for your comment.

6. Neta's mom from "Children and Health" site November 15, 2007 at 1:48 am #

Very inspirational story. Many simple tips but deep in thought and worthed. May I add this story including the sources in my sites? Thank you for sharing.

7. medical suppliers November 19, 2007 at 4:53 pm #

Well, it is nice to hear healthy living tips from a nurse, thanks for sharing.

8. Healthy, Natural and Organic Living News December 3, 2007 at 4:46 pm #

“Every day, try your very best to put healthy foods and plenty of water into your body.”

This is so true. Mambo Sprouts helps the average consumer save on the very best health food and grocery products for your body.

9. San Diego House Cleaning December 21, 2007 at 6:11 am #

Exercising your body and mind is extremely important, and we forget how little we need to do to see results… everyone has this picture of rigorous excercise in their mind when they are sitting on the couch at home. If you just commit to going out for 10 min. to get a workout then you will likely continue for longer. Also keeping your brain going with puzzles, memory related tasks or games, etc. is a great way to guarantee a healthy mind… you may still lose it one day, but it will take longer.

10. Bad Credit Auto Loa January 8, 2008 at 6:58 am #

This is great information for living a healthier life. Me time is something we all need to work on more, to get that peace and quiet during each day instead of keeping our mind racing.

11. Patrick February 3, 2008 at 2:52 am #

Great article! So many people do not take the time to do the simple basics… its always good to have a reminder.

12. Ambulance nurse February 21, 2008 at 1:48 pm #

Very simple but really important advice. Of course we all know about it.

13. Legal Nurse Consultants March 5, 2008 at 2:29 pm #

I need to eat better. But I do exercise! Thanks.

14. i want a six pack March 16, 2008 at 3:10 pm #

Excellent advice, it is about chaning the little things and over a period of time this can really make the difference!

15. Parasite Cleanse March 27, 2008 at 2:06 am #

I have been eating a lot more whole foods within the past six months and feel better than ever. Fried foods are gone!

16. Gaetane Ross April 16, 2008 at 12:29 pm #

I’ve decided that learning to live naturally is all about replacing things. My Philosophy, live naturally and more in tune with nature. I believe that if I can live naturally I can change what looks to be my painful destiny. LIVE WELL, LIVE NATURALLY.

Gaetane Ross 🙂

17. Patrick May 16, 2008 at 11:59 am #

I like to change one thing at a time and really focus on the change until I am successful with it and it becomes a habit. I did this with regular exercise and now I jog 6 miles three times each week. This is a firm habit that I never miss doing. I also managed to quit smoking cigarettes 2 years ago and I also quit caffeine about 2 months ago.

Each positive change has built on the previous ones and I have yet to slide back on any of these major changes. My next big project is to change my diet. Any suggestions on eating healthier?

18. agentsully May 17, 2008 at 10:03 am #

@Patrick – yes! Check out my post on “how to eat healthier.” You can see it in on the homepage or use the searchbox at the top right of my site.

19. Robin Hockley July 11, 2008 at 8:58 am #

Most people are always looking for the ‘next big thing’ that will improve the quality of their lives. Rarely do we look to the past to provide the answers. Written in 1910, Wallace Wattles book ‘The Science Of Being Well’ can not only improve your physical levels of health and wellbeing but everything else in your life! Get your FREE updated edition of The Science Of Being Well today!

20. free Sudoku Puzzles July 24, 2008 at 2:03 pm #

I would like to say thanks for your link…..i like very much for important health tips…

21. Mikel July 25, 2008 at 3:15 am #

One more thing, stop drinking and smoking! It’ll add more years to your life and make you look younger and vibrant. Great post agentsully! 🙂

22. agentsully July 28, 2008 at 2:53 pm #

@Mikel – you are so right!

23. YOR.com August 6, 2008 at 9:07 pm #

My wife is a nurse, I think I should share these tips with her! 🙂 thanks for the great article.

24. BizzyBuyer February 20, 2009 at 12:26 am #

All your points are very good. I have always thought if even if you eat right 80% of the time, you are way ahead. It is also good to use a Vita-Mix and drink your vegetables a couple of times a week.

Gregg

25. Oxygen Concentrators March 23, 2010 at 11:15 am #

Thanks for the great article I have learned a lot! I am starting to try to stay as healthy as possible!

26. F. M. October 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

Well said.
    I want to share a positive story about my struggle to become healthier. I am a 43 yo who went from 250 to 210 in 8 months. I know some people would consider that to be a slow rate of fat loss and also a small change in body fat composition. It might be but for me it was life saving! My heart is healthy, my cholesterol level is under control and the dreaded and ever present danger of diabetes is now a distant threat.

I had read about people quickly gaining all their weight back after stopping whatever helped them to lose fat and what I learned is that it can not be a one time thing or just something you do to reach a goal. No, it has to be a way of life in order to have a lasting positive effect in your life.

This is why I agree with Catharine Morgan about gradually changing harmful behavior and building up from there instead of feeling that you are not 100% perfect and quitting because of it. Start slow and gradually you will get where you want to go.

One thing that I would recommend to people is hire a maid, let them do all the chores you don’t want to do and go to the gym instead. I live in San Diego and now I use the services of Maids in San Diego in order to have quality time to exercise and to do other healthy activities; besides they are much better at what they do and in a short period of time they can clean the whole house. I would not be able to accomplish as much as they do in the time they do it.

1. Catherine’s Top Three Tips For Healthy Living | Welcome to Catherine Blogs - September 25, 2007

[…] everyone. I was honored to be asked to write a guest post for Life Learning Today, and this is what I came up […]