Top Five Time Saving Cleaning Tips

This is a guest post by Lisa Bell of CleaningTips.com.

Why Do You Keep a Clean Home?

The reasons for keeping a clean home are virtually endless. Some people associate a clean house with cozy relationships and order within the home. Others feel that a clean home welcomes guests into a warm and friendly environment. The pragmatist merely wants the health benefits of removing grime, debris, dust, and other environmental vehicles for bacteria and viruses.broom

Time Saving Cleaning Tips

Everyone has a few favorites when it comes to cleaning. However, for people whose homes shine, there are five treasured tips of cleaning that they cannot live without. The following items can mean the difference between scrambling to stay on top of the basics, and keeping a gleaming, well ordered home.

1. Buy a good vacuum cleaner – It may seem painful to spend hundreds of dollars on a cleaning appliance, but this is one of the essentials to cleaning. Have you ever purchased a decent sweeper, only to have it lose suction after a few months? Or worse yet, it can begin to spew dust in the air. The last thing you need is to take the dust from your floor and spread it on all surfaces in the room.

1. Avoid Clutter – Some people don’t think picking up clutter counts as house cleaning. There is no way you can effectively clean around clutter! How can you sweep a floor covered with toys, or dust a table covered with papers? Most of us have been there. It’s easy to avoid cleaning an area to avoid the clutter. Let me tell you a personal story. I used to find my dining room table covered with books and papers because I found myself studying and working in the room. Finally I recognized that I wanted to work there, but I hated the mess. Instead of fighting my habits, I took the linens out of my buffet and put them in the linen closet. I put a few desk organizers in the buffet and suddenly had the perfect work space with storage for my papers.

1. Dust Between Polishing – After you have cleared the tables of clutter, you can dust them. Every so often you should polish your furniture with your favorite furniture polish to keep it lustrous. Sometimes in between polishing, you might want to do some basic dusting. There are effective, disposable products on the market that can make dusting easy because they pick up dust easily instead of spreading it around the room.

1. Find Easily Forgotten Details – It is easy to avoid the details that can have a big impact on the overall appearance of your home. Walk up to your front door and look around. This is the first impression someone has of your home. Does the front porch need sweeping? Are there cobwebs in the corner? Does your door need a paint touch up? To you this may seem like a seldom used part of the house, but it is the place that first welcomes your guests. Another often neglected detail that can make a big difference is dirty baseboards. It’s easy to clean them, but obvious when they are neglected. This is especially true if your walls are a light color. Look around as if it were the first time you walked into your home. You may spot some overlooked details.

1. Use All Purpose Cleaners – The bathroom and the kitchen: you knew we would get there! The kitchen is the hub of activity for most families and sometimes it shows. I have a favorite cleaner that works for everything in the kitchen and most of the bathroom. It contains bleach and cuts through almost anything. Many people buy cleaners that are specific for certain surfaces, appliances, and rooms. You lose a lot of time switching cleaners. If you can grab one cleaning bottle and bag of your favorite rags or a paper towel roll, you can tear through the cleaning much faster.

It is conceivable to have a cleaner house with less effort. By streamlining your cleaning process and supplying yourself with easy-to-use equipment and cleaners, you can finally have a home that you are comfortable in. Instead of avoiding company, or hurrying to shove a broom around the room while stuffing a toy under the couch pillow, you can open your door with pride and make your friends and family feel comfortable in your home. Please visit www.cleaningtips.com for more ideas and a friendly forum to answer your cleaning questions.

What are your best house cleaning tips? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

If you want to Support Life Learning Today, you can visit one of my sponsors, make a donation, or make a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!

14 Responses to Top Five Time Saving Cleaning Tips

1. Urbanist August 11, 2007 at 7:27 pm #

Definitely can’t underestimate the value of the right vacuum cleaner – I mean if you’re going to spend more time cleaning because yours doesn’t work well, you’re basically ‘paying’ for your own labor anyway 🙂

2. Gregg August 12, 2007 at 6:22 pm #

Why didn’t you give the name of your favorite all purpose cleaner?

3. dmi August 13, 2007 at 12:36 pm #

You have inspired me to purchase a new vacuum. Any recommendations on specific cleaners? The first bissell on the link you included looks interesting to me, is it worth the money?

4. agentsully August 13, 2007 at 11:17 pm #

@Urbanist – thanks for the vote of approval! The right vacuum is important. I once had once catch on fire because it overheated!

@Gregg – the author will be advising on her favorite cleaner soon.

@dmi – recommendations for vacuums: Panasonics have always been good in my experience. And Furbies (not sure of the spelling). The only one I don’t recommend is Dirt Devils since one I owned caught on fire!

5. kat August 14, 2007 at 2:06 am #

My best house cleaning tip…

Hire a housekeeper!
    Saves so much time and energy that could be used on things you actually enjoy doing. I have my lady come to my place every two weeks and our home is absolutely immaculate when she leaves.

6. Energy Saving January 9, 2008 at 1:12 pm #

Quick tip:

If you have a stain on a worksurface use vinegar and salt to get it off. The vinegar strips off the stain whilst the salts rough edges provides the finsihing touches of any grit remaining.

I never believed it at first but you will be saving alot of energy!!

7. Gordon March 25, 2008 at 12:08 am #

The easiest furniture to clean is some of treated leather, which can be bycast or even faux leather at that. But they still last long and can be cleaned easily. Check out the leather sofa at http://www.my-homefurniture.com, you’ll see what i mean.

8. Paul April 24, 2008 at 1:01 pm #

Avoid clutter, it frees the mind and spirit. IMHO.

9. agentsully April 25, 2008 at 4:18 pm #

@Paul – couldn’t agree more! Every once in a while I just have to do a massive clearing of stuff that piles up. Thanks for stopping by!

10. Yoga Equipment September 1, 2008 at 10:17 am #

How do you manage to clean up all the stuff everytime man… can you tell me whether you follow any work procedure???

11. Mr Green April 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Urine stains/odors can be treated with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and cool water. Saturate area -be careful no to over do it as this could cause damage to padding and/or flooring- and blot after a few minutes with a white terry cloth towel.

12. cleaning services Dallas TX October 14, 2011 at 2:32 am #

Thank you for sharing such helpful tips in tidying things at home. It is not only our living spaces that require cleaning, but even our workplaces as well. In our busy lives, we should still make time to do some organizing and cleaning to prevent contracting diseases caused by bacteria and also to avoid clutter. There are those of us who may have the luxury of time to do their own cleaning while there are also those who may require professional assistance. Either way, maintaining a clean living and working environment is not just good to look at but they also help us to avoid getting sick.

13. Commercial Cleaning in chicago August 22, 2012 at 4:42 am #

You article is Informative and very useful. I like the tips you have given. It has earned a place in my bookmarks now. Thank you very much for the useful post.

1. Anonymous - August 13, 2007

Top Five Time Saving Cleaning Tips…

Top 5 time saving cleaning tips….