Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps

Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps

Everyone wants more energy. We chase it down with drugs and we rob ourselves of it with not enough rest. The answers to experiencing our ultimate energy levels come down to simple habits. Some of these may not sound new, but print this out and let it serve as a lifestyle to aspire to. Oftentimes it is helpful to be reminded of the things we know so that we will actually take action on doing them.

Energy Producing Habits:

1. Deep Diaphragmatic Breathing. Do this exercise first thing in the morning and then at least 2 more times during the day. Anytime you find yourself waiting, use this to pass the time. Or if you feel sluggish, that is another good time to do this. It will also supercharge your Lymph system which is your body’s immune system powerhouse.

• Blow all the air out of your lungs.
  • Take a slow breath into the bottom of your lungs by letting your stomach relax out. Continue==>>
  • Next keep breathing into the middle rib cage. Continue==>>
  • Finally finish the in breath by filling the upper lungs.
  • Use this timing formula. In for 1, Hold for 3, Out for 2. Example if you breath in for 10 seconds, then you would hold for 30 and then Release for 20.
  • Repeat this 5-10 times per session.

2. Get Enough Rest. Figure out how much sleep YOU need. I need 7 -8 hours of sleep per night to feel good in the morning. Less (or even more) than that and I feel sleepy all day. It’s been said before, but if you want more energy, now is the time to make it a habit. How much do you need? Be kind to yourself and ensure you get it!

3. Reduce and then Avoid Caffiene. I know, I know. I can hear the shouts already, “But I need my caffiene!” I know how you feel. I felt that way too. I’m here to tell you that You Can Do It and that it will make you feel better in the long run. Caffeine robs Peter to pay Paul. It is a nice little high, but it comes at a price. After the high wears off, there is that irritability which stems from robbing future energy. You have to pay for it sometime. Does this sound familiar: After drinking coffee there is that high feeling of “I can do anything!” followed by a furious amount of action or thinking or talking. Then there is a leveling off of energy and finally a feeling of being impatient and easily aggravated. If this is not your pattern, maybe you can stick with coffee without suffering energy consequences. But if you do recognize yourself in this pattern, then at least begin to explore the idea of reducing and maybe even eliminating coffee. I have it now only as a special treat and I’m always reminded why I’m better off without it when I do. :-)

4. Meditation “Naps.” This is something I learned from rocking a baby to sleep. By accident I found that when I was rocking the baby to sleep or giving a bottle feeding, I would also close my eyes for the 10-15 minutes it took. I found that I was incredibly rejuvenated afterwards. I used the time to let my mind rest, by either focusing on the breath or by trying to focus on a mantra word. It didn’t matter what the word was. I recommend doing this when energy is lagging. for those times when you would ordinarily go for a cup of coffee, do this instead.

HOW TO DO THIS: Sitting in a chair, close your eyes, lean your head back and focus on your breathing. Take slow diaphragmatic breaths. Relax your eyes, jaw, and face. Maybe do some neck streches and some arm stretches, all with your eyes closed. After stretching just relax your whole body. Let go of what you’ve been working on. It will be there when you return and you’ll be better able to handle it then. Continue to focus on the breath and perhaps also focus on a word or sound that helps keep your mind from trying to work on problems. The word might be “calm” or “peace” or “om,” whatever works for you. As thoughts come into your mind, notice them and just come back to the breath or your focus word, your mantra. After 15 minutes or so, slowly open your eyes, stretch a little, take a couple deep breaths and enjoy the rejuvenated feeling! (Try to use your internal clock for timing. You’ll be surprised how accurate you are.)

5. Avoid Sugar. This one is easy and hard. Easy to say, hard to do. Start slow by starting to read labels. Keep sugar in your diet to a minimum. Try Stevia in your decaf green tea instead. If you are going to have something sweet, try to combine it with fiber to lessen the blood sugar spike. Good choices are low glycemic fruits such as apple, plum, or oranges. If you want something a little more “decadent” and good for you, try some Kashi Cookies.

6. Avoid Alcohol and Tobacco. Smoking makes you tired in the long run. It robs your body in so many ways. Quitting is hard, but here is an inspiring story of how someone quit smoking. It’s not easy, but You Can Do It! Alcohol is like caffeine in that you are robbing Peter to pay Paul. You’re robbing future energy for some “high” energy now. Yes, alcohol can be fun in moderation. If you want more energy, and you use alcohol daily or frequently, consider cutting back. See how your energy changes. If you like what you feel, then keep going. For some, alcohol is not an easy relationship, but remember what ever you want to accomplish, You Can Do It!

7. What to Drink Instead of Coffee. “Long Life Cocktail” is something I learned from Louise Gittleman’s book, “Fat Flush,” which is an excellent book on learning to eat more healthy. Here’s the recipe: 8-10 ounces of water, 1 ounce PURE cranberry juice, and 1 level tablespoon of ground flax seed. (The PURE Cranberry juice you use should have no other ingredients. You can find it in the health section of the grocery store. Look for Sun Mountain brand, for example.) This drink cleans your liver and the fiber is great for your digestive health. Flax seed is a “super food” and has many benefits including lowering cholesterol, lowering tryglycerides, lowering blood pressure, reducing cancer rates, in particular breast cancer, and more. The drink is a little strange at first, but I’ve grown to love it. I have it one to two times a day.

The other drink I use once a day is a “Green Drink” called Green Vibrance which is a nutritional supplement drink that has many immune, energy and digestive benefits. It’s a little pricey, but I like all the benefits. Try it in a healthy smoothie and you’ll have real energy that lasts all day long!

8. Yoga and Stretching. Deep breathing massages the lymph system and the net cleansing benefits are increased energy. Yoga gives you this in large doses. The other thing it gives you is actual physical release of stored stress. When you stretch your muscles they release into a more relaxed state. When they do this stress chemicals are released. Through deep breathing, your lymph systems is stimulated to carry these toxic chemicals to the blood stream where they are eliminated from your body via expiration (breathing) and through the liver and kidneys. The net result is more energy. If you’ve done yoga you know what I’m talking about. If not, get yourself a yoga video or to a yoga class soon. You will love it. And then make sure to schedule it into your life on a weekly basis. And try to do at least 10 minutes of stretching everyday, especially after any workout.

9. 30 Minutes of Aerobic Exercise Per Day. Keep it simple. Brisk walking or jogging are low cost and highly beneficial. Rotate your activities to keep yourself interested. Play some tennis or soccer or running races with your kids. You get the same benefits even if you break it into shorter chunks, say three 10 minute sessions per day. Try walking to work if possible. Leave work clothes and shoes there to change into. Park in the farthest away spot. Take a walk after dinner to enjoy the early evening. Make it a priority, get it done, and you will be excited by the extra energy you have when you do this. The other added bonus is you will sleep better too.

10. Laughter and Smiling. This activates deep breathing again. And it also releases endorphins, your body’s “natural high” chemical. Find opportunities to laugh, especially when the going gets rough, tough, and ugly. Rent funny videos. Seek out your funny friends and family. Work on your own sense of humor. Laughter is the best medicine. Laugh at life and life laughs with you. Let smiling and laughter be your favorite exercise.

What are your favorite way to get energized? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

You can Support Life Learning Today by visiting one of my sponsors, making a donation, or making a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

Technorati Tags: , , ,

, ,

69 Responses to Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps

1. steve May 27, 2007 at 8:01 pm #

Great article! Many families and individuals could benefit from this. Even if just one or two ideas from the list are incorporated into every day life, huge improvements will be seen. I’ve set a few personal goals for myself after reading this.

2. Joanne May 27, 2007 at 11:50 pm #

Hello…I followed the link here from naother blog and wanted to say that I’ve enjoyed what I read so far. I also subscrobed to your feed.

**This may come through twice-feel free to delete one of them. Something weird happened when I hit submit.

3. AgentSully May 28, 2007 at 12:04 am #

Steve -thank you for the comment and I’m so glad that it inspired you to set some goals on this! Good luck to you!

4. AgentSully May 28, 2007 at 12:14 am #

Hi Joanne – so nice to have you as a reader and subscriber! Thank you! I’m so glad you like what you’ve read! Means a lot to me! thanks!

5. Stephen Welton May 28, 2007 at 12:35 am #

Great tips. Use them right away! No more waiting

6. Yolanda May 28, 2007 at 4:29 am #

I agree with the list. I believe that having enough rest is a great factor in energy. We can’t ignore the fact that nature intends us to sleep when it’s dark and start the day during the light. That should be enough rest.

7. Oscar May 28, 2007 at 9:24 pm #

I agree with avoiding caffeine. The extra energy may be useful, but nice things that come so easy definitely have drawbacks. We can’t have nice things for free without paying the price.

8. Abel May 28, 2007 at 11:58 pm #

To quit smoking is NOT easy and I’m glad Leo shared his story on how he did it. Thanks for referring his story on my site.

9. agentsully May 29, 2007 at 9:48 pm #

Stephen -Thank you for the comment!

Oscar – I agree. Coffee/caffeine is hard to resist at times. If I have more than 1/4 or 1/2 cup, I get too irritable.

Hi Abel – my pleasure to link to your site. Nice job!

10. Rhonda May 29, 2007 at 11:23 pm #

I am with taking enough rest. We know that it’s one of the main factor of our energy and we have to get enough to fill up our energy.

11. Terri May 29, 2007 at 11:28 pm #

12. agentsully May 29, 2007 at 11:55 pm #

Thanks Terri. Yes rest is so important.

13. Kiwi Mate June 22, 2007 at 10:00 pm #

I tried for 14 years to quit smoking after my dad died from lung cancer. I couldn’t until I was given a book “Easy way to quit smoking” by Allen Carr. I smoked from age 11 to age 36 and thought I was hooked for life. You don’t miss the smokes like you think you will after reading this book. It is a top seller in most countries, it only costs NZD $30, which is about US$20 or UK$15. I am from New Zealand and I gain nothing if you go and buy this book, so do it for your families sake.

14. agentsully June 24, 2007 at 4:19 pm #

Thanks for sharing Kiwi Mate. Yes, quitting smoking is hard. Thank you for sharing that book title you found so helpful! Hopefully it will now help others now that you’ve recommended it! thanks!

15. Jakob July 30, 2007 at 5:19 pm #

This is exactly what I expected to find out after reading the title mum Energy in 10 Simple Steps. Thanks for informative article

16. David K August 13, 2007 at 6:33 am #

>>Avoid Alcohol and Tobacco

That was the key part in my case. After I entirely quit smoking, my life has become much better than I expected. I feel much better, productive, energic, concantrated when needed and food taste great, even air. So this must be the top of the list of addicts, quit smoking. It’s easier said than done though.

17. Simon August 23, 2007 at 3:04 pm #

Good article. I especially liked the story about the smoking.

18. agentsully August 24, 2007 at 11:39 am #

Thanks Simon!

19. Funny Forward Guy August 25, 2007 at 12:52 pm #

Simple and informative. People need to realize simple steps like this can go a very long way to increasing your energy and your overall quality of life.

20. Ed October 15, 2007 at 7:34 pm #

Great blog. Lots of good info! This post was especially informative as it touched some areas that are usually overlooked!

I think that our overall diet has probably the major part in our energy level. After all, that’s supposed to be why we eat!

I found a great live, whole food drink that is the only live whole food based product on the planet that delivers a full, synergistic spectrum of:

30 Antioxidant Rich Fruits & Berries
    30 Powerful Greens & Vegetables
    11 Nutrient Dense Seeds, Nuts & Sprouts
    83+ Active Enzymes & Fulvic Minerals
    22 Strains of Resilient Living Probiotics

It’s called “The Feast”. I can get you some samples if you’d like.

I found it to be the single best supplement that I have ever tried. And I’m 52!

21. usa newspapers news November 9, 2007 at 1:45 pm #

I think most harmful thing is tobacco.After I stop smoking I feel younger and energic.I get up more relaxed every day.

22. James December 3, 2007 at 11:33 pm #

Thanks for the post! I’m going to try those “coffee replacements” since I am pretty much addicted to caffeine right now.

23. Bill December 18, 2007 at 8:55 pm #

Thank you for writing about this. I say this to my clients all the time. It’s nice to direct them to this blog so they hear it from someone else too!

Bill Yeager Personal Trainer Southington CT Connecticut http://www.horizonpt.com

24. Funny Guy January 6, 2008 at 3:00 am #

I feel like I’m agreeing with everything you said except one thing… Inducing the bodies endorphins to become active is WRONG. Getting high is always wrong, no matter what, even if God put it there. Ok, I’m just joking… I like what you said! This seems like very good advice, so I will let the digging commence!

25. Zack :: Coffee Talk A-Z February 14, 2008 at 10:31 am #

Hey, I’m agree with almost all of your points. But I’m not truly believe caffeine is that bad. In fact it will give you some health benefits.

Check my post in my blog:

Health Benefits of Coffee

Do tell me what do you think, coz we gourmet coffee lover are caffeine addict :D

26. How to Build Muscle Expert February 15, 2008 at 11:49 am #

Some great tips. I think getting enough sleep (8 hours at least) plays a huge role in energy levels. Another thing that you could add to the list is keeping blood sugar levels stable by eating the right foods. Blood sugar levels play a huge role on our energy levels.

Thanks for the post!

27. agentsully February 16, 2008 at 12:07 am #

@Zack – I know. Caffeine is not all bad. It can be a lot of fun. for me though, I usually crash from it so I save it for non-work days. :)

28. Weight gain gut March 7, 2008 at 6:35 pm #

Thanks a lot, this is very usefull. I knew some of these but I have learned something new today.

29. Stop | Quit Smoking March 10, 2008 at 10:45 am #

Very good tips. I hope more people visit your site. You offer some great information.

30. Stomach Exercises March 10, 2008 at 6:15 pm #

Great post. These are good tips.

31. Joe Mangrove March 12, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

I recently quit smoking. This hands down will kickstart your body into giving you more energy. Just fight hard the first three days, while being smoke free, and then it will only get easier from there. I also try to cut out caffeine, which helps, but excercise is the second best way to get energy. It is so easy to make excuses, but if you just walk for a mile or two at least every other day, you will see drastic results.

32. agentsully March 14, 2008 at 10:32 am #

@Joe Mangrove – Good for you! Stick with it. Anything that involves deep breathing is an excellent substitute for smoking : stretching, exercise, purposeful deep breathing, etc. Thanks for commenting!

33. Nadege Lewis March 22, 2008 at 9:17 am #

I love to listen to a motivational audio program in the a.m. When I do, my level of energy is obviously greater than when I just get up, get ready, and go to work.

34. Priscilla Babillos April 3, 2008 at 1:03 pm #

Interesting article, I’ve been trying some different diet with vitamins and it’s been working for me.

35. I Quit Smoking May 27, 2008 at 6:58 pm #

Excellent article! There are so many things we can easily do to increase our quality (and quantity) of life!

36. Flat Stomach June 10, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

Some interesting tipps. For me meditation or a power nap works best, after 30 minutes of meditation I have a lot more energy. And the more I do it, the easier it is to relax

37. L September 26, 2008 at 4:08 pm #

This article has 2 TYPING MISTAKES:

serve as a a lifestyle (double ‘A’)

ultimate engergy levels (wrong spelling)

38. agentsully October 1, 2008 at 4:30 pm #

@L Thanks. I’ll fix those now!

39. Champix-UK February 20, 2009 at 9:50 am #

Indeed it is a great article and clearly shows the time was invested into producing it. I am sure we can ignore some spelling mistakes though :-)

You have raised a very good point by including smoking in this list. Quit smoking and you get a reasonable amount of energry back, you will then be able to hold your breath for long time and there would be no coughing etc.

40. Mario March 31, 2009 at 11:07 pm #

I learned to meditate 23 years ago, now i know that the quality of my sleep depends on how regular i am with my meditation. I meditate twice a day and even though, the morning meditation is the one i enjoy the most, the afternoon meditation is the one that help me get rid of the tensions of the day and help me sleep better.
    The meditation technique i use is TM (Transcendental Meditation, just mention it in case you are looking for a good technique, this one in particular has being scientifically validated.
    I not only get a lot of energy out of this practice.

Regards

Mario

41. Jim Hanratty September 12, 2009 at 6:21 pm #

(Note To Christians) Hatha Yoga: In Hinduism there are many different forms of “Yoga” which are paths of practice and Hatha Yoga is one of many that leads the aspirant to the ultimate goal of union with divinity (gods) and the unity of all of Creation.

Many erroneously believe they can practice yoga postures, breathing, and focusing techniques devoid of yoga’s spirituality, not realizing that yoga is an inherent part of Hindu philosophy which teaches man and nature are one with divinity.

Today, yoga is experiencing a worldwide renaissance and in America has more than 70,000 yoga teachers working in 20,000 locations. Although viewed primarily as fitness instructors, *these trainers are in reality the leading missionaries of eastern religion* in the west. The twenty-seven billion dollar a year yoga industry is marketed to Christians, students, athletes, businessmen, pregnant women and senior citizens promising solutions for stress reduction, concentration problems, and issues of self confidence.

Hatha Yoga is in reality a pagan import from the East, yoga has now become mainstream in the church through “Christ-centered yoga classes” designed to help improve spirituality and experience “the presence of God”. But PLEASE BEWARE as yoga’s mysticism is NOT compatible with historic Christianity no matter how it is packaged! Rev. James R. Hanratty

42. Dave November 5, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

Like the post… Particularly about the caffine, which can be very bad and can dehydrate. Yoga is a good excercise to correct posture and develop relaxation and fitness.

43. Green Mountain K Cups December 22, 2009 at 5:59 pm #

Great! Will benefit many families and individuals. Even if the ideas are one or two on the list integrated into everyday life, are great improvements. I personal goals for myself after reading this.

44. Oxygen Concentrator March 19, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

Great tips. I live by most of them. I’m gonna have to try the coffee replacement.

45. Evergo portable oxygen March 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

Great tips!!!!!!! I’m one of the people who will have trouble with reducing and eliminating caffeine. I will definitely be back to do some more reading you have great info to offer.

46. burn fat July 25, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

great tips I’m already using the no more caffeine one! Thanks!

47. Richard September 22, 2010 at 12:18 pm #

Good call to include a healthy smoothie in the list. I get almost a weeks worth of raw veggies in my green smoothies :)
    Also, based on recent life expectancy research, I’m not sure I’d include smoking and drinking alcohol in the same category. Moderate alcohol consumption has been shown in numerous studies to increase lifespan.

• AgentSully October 24, 2010 at 8:54 pm #

Thanks for your comment Richard! That’s great you have such a high veggie intake!

Regarding alcohol, I’ve heard that recent research shows that the benefits from wine can be easily gained from grapes, apples and other produce items with resveratrol in them. They say that no alcohol or less alcohol is always better than having more even if it is moderate. This is especially true for women with regards to breast cancer risk.

I think the idea is that if you are going to drink alcohol, keep it moderate and stick to red wine and dark beers. But if you can take it or leave it, then you are better off leaving it. Alcohol itself is not intrinsically healthy. It’s the other compounds that come from the produce used to make the alcohol that are healthy.

Thanks for joining in on the conversation!

48. probiotics November 9, 2010 at 10:38 pm #

Hey great list and good points!

2. Get Enough Rest. – Not just rest, but sleep!
    3. Reduce and then Avoid Caffiene. – Green tea tastes much better and healthier.
    5. Avoid Sugar. – Also, avoid artificial sweeteners. Stevia would be an awesome alternative.

49. Blender lover December 1, 2010 at 10:04 pm #

What a great post! I love this site, you have such great advice!

50. MATHEW CANTER March 26, 2011 at 10:18 am #

Thanks for writing these metods to acieve max health n energy.
    Athough we eat smart yet we dont feel healthy
    these steps do worth a try.

51. muscle and strength November 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

These are great tips. I like how everything you listed are very simple to do. However, I’ll just like to add that resistance exercise is also a very effective method to increase your energy level and also your physical strength . It’s also very simple because you can do this with bodyweight exercises such as push ups and pull ups.

• AgentSully December 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

@muscle – good point! I like the addition. Thanks for commenting!

1. Positive Fitness » How to Maximize Your Energy - May 31, 2007

[…] Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps […]

2. How to be an Original - May 31, 2007

List Extravaganza: 5000 tips on 100 lists…

I set myself the challenge to compile a list of lists, counting down from 100 to 1. The items on the list deal with self-improvement, productivity, language, money, entrepreneurship, leadership, simplicity, love, blogging, health and the environment. O…

3. Groovy New Pocket Mods: GTD and More! - June 18, 2007

[…] “They” Don’t Want You to Know About Investing How to Nap at Work – or Anyplace You Need a RestMaximum Energy in 10 Simple StepsCool GTD Applications – The Ultimate Resource List3 Tips to Landing the Job You WantThe Four Most […]

4. Solutions for 7 Annoying Modern Day Problems - lifehack.org - June 20, 2007

[…] are Ultimate Goal Setting Guide, 5 Big Secrets “Theyâ€? Don’t Want You to Know About Investing, Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps, and Cool GTD Applications – The Ultimate Resource List. digg_url = […]

5. Friday Is A Good Day To…. - June 22, 2007

[…] “They” Don’t Want You to Know About Investing How to Nap at Work – or Anyplace You Need a RestMaximum Energy in 10 Simple StepsCool GTD Applications – The Ultimate Resource ListHow to Write a Book in 60 Days or Less3 Tips to […]

6. How to Be a Great Salesperson - July 26, 2007

[…] Is it helping people? Is it helping your family? Is it a lifestyle you desire? A home, a car? Find ways to to get your energy flowing. The best way to do that is to move your body. Do some jumping jacks, do some stretching up to the […]

7. Kolz Blog » Blog Archive » 9 Ways to Have a Better Day than Yesterday - August 18, 2007

[…] K. Stone, author of Life Learning Today, a blog about daily life improvements. Popular articles are Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps and Your Most Productive Week Ever! {Ad} Improve your life with an Oxygenics showerhead. Save money […]

8. Stop Feeding Your Gremlin - November 19, 2007

[…] action on it. Get busy doing some work that will bring you true contentment. Read this article to get more energy for tackling your plan. Once you’ve begun and put in some good work, then you can then […]

9. Life Doesn’t Have to Be Miserable! - January 17, 2008

[…] Discover Maximum Energy! Stop the energy zappers in your life. Get more sleep, cut back on caffeine, get some exercise, cut out excess sugar, meditate, and enjoy life more. […]

10. The Best Motivation Available to Mankind | You Are Living - June 10, 2008

[…] KJ @ Life Learning Today gives us great advice on how to attain and sustain energy. […]

11. Listen and Download Inspiring Music -Believe In Yourself – Motivating Music | Voice In The Dark - November 21, 2010

[…] Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps | Life Learning Today – Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps Everyone wants more energy. We chase it down with drugs and we rob ourselves of it with not enough rest. The answers. […]

12. Denver Chiropractor | Dr. Jeffrey Parham | 10 Ways To Reduce Stress This Holiday Season - November 30, 2010

13. The Top 10 Ways To Reduce Stress This Holiday Season « Denver Chiropractor's Blog - December 16, 2010

14. Power Up! Power Thinking to Improve Your Life | Life Learning Today - March 13, 2012

[…] skipped meals, and not enough sleep all set us up for plenty of tired moments when we are sapped of energy. When we feel tired it may seem easier to throw in the towel with our thinking. The problem there […]

15. Retail Selling 101 - August 27, 2012

[…] Is it helping people? Is it helping your family? Is it a lifestyle you desire? A home, a car? Find ways to to get your energy flowing. The best way to do that is to move your body. Do some jumping jacks, do some stretching up to the […]

16. Stop Beating Yourself Up | Life Learning Today - January 7, 2013

[…] everyday conversation in your mind. I’m talking about beating yourself up.  It steals your energy, makes you tired, and drains your spirit. There’s a much better way. Let’s […]

17. 6 Simple Steps to Achieve Laser-Like Focus - April 3, 2014

[…] K. Stone, author of Life Learning Today, a blog about daily life improvements. Popular articles are Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps and Your Most Productive Week […]

18. 10 Referral Tips for Bagging Big Business - April 21, 2014

[…] K. Stone, author of Life Learning Today, a blog about daily life improvements. Popular articles are Maximum Energy in 10 Simple Steps and How to Be a Great […]