How to Write a Book in 60 Days or Less

Write a book

Commitment

Whether you choose 60 days, 30 days or 6 months as your goal, all that matters is that you commit to it and implement a schedule that will get you there. Choose a realistic time frame that you can stick to. A little bit every day is better than trying to do too much and then giving up.

How to choose your time goal? Start by determining:

• How many hours per day can you devote to writing?
  • How many pages can you write per hour?

Example: Let’s say you commit to 2 hours per day and you’re able to write 3 pages per hour. To write an average length book of 300 pages will take 50 days. ( 300 pages per book/6 pages per day= 50 days)

My Experience: My new book, Secrets to a Healthy Life, is only 60 pages. I wrote approximately 2 pages per day and completed it in one month. I used Nick Daws method which I discuss further down in this article.

Process for Novel Writing

For writing a novel, I can recommend Randy Ingermanson’s free online manual titled: “Writing a Novel Using The Snowflake Method.” This is a concise guide that will get your novel written if you follow it. For a sneak peek, here are the 10 steps of the method. You will want to visit his site and print out the entire instructions which has detailed instructions for each of these steps. (don’t worry it’s not too long)

Snowflake Method for Writing a Novel: (summary from http://www.ingermanson.com/writing/snowflake.php)

1. Take an hour and write a one-sentence summary of your story.
  2. Take another hour and expand that sentence to a full paragraph describing the story setup, major disasters, and ending of the book.
  3. Write a short summary sheet for each character.
  4. Take several hours and expand each sentence of your summary paragraph into a full paragraph. All but the last paragraph should end in a disaster. The final paragraph should tell how the book ends.
  5. Take a day or two and write up a one-page description of each major character and a half-page description of the other important characters.
  6. Now take a week and expand the one-page plot synopsis of the story to a four-page synopsis.
  7. Take another week and expand your character descriptions into full-fledged character charts detailing everything there is to know about each character.
  8. Prep for writing the first draft: make a list of all the scenes that you’ll need to turn the story into a novel using a spreadsheet.
  9. (Optional.)Switch back to your word processor and begin writing a narrative description of the story.
  10. At this point, just sit down and start pounding out the real first draft of the story.

Randy has other products that he sells, usually for very good prices relative to the value he is offering. If you are very motivated, his free manual is probably all you will need. If you like his technique and want to dig deeper with it, check out his advanced snowflake guides.  Please do yourself a favor and visit his site. He has 2 great free monthly ezines that I subscribe to, one on novel writing and one on marketing your work.

Process for Non-Fiction (also fiction and screenplays)

Another great process resource that I can recommend is Nick Daw’s program “Write Any Book in Under 28 days”which gives you “everything you need to know to devise, write, edit and sell a complete book in the shortest possible time, be it fiction, non-fiction or even a screenplay.”

I love this program!

It is so logical and encouraging. It helps you get your book written!

The process part always lets you know what your next step is. And the encouragement part keeps you moving forward with enthusiasm.

This program does have a cost which depends on which package you choose. It is provided in the form of a CD-ROM which will run on any computer using Windows 95 or later.

Nick Daws states that anyone can write a non-fiction book. (I agree!) We all have experiences that others would find valuable and could learn from such as:

• Getting Married
  • Starting Your Own Business
  • Managing Staff
  • Managing Your Time
  • Investing Your Money
  • Study skills for students
  • Improve your memory
  • How to work your way through college
  • Making the most of student life
  • What is YOUR Life Experience you will write about?

If you click on the link it does have one of those cheesy sales pages, but never fear, the product is excellent. I bought it, used it to write my first ebook. I give this program my highest recommendation. Free resources are good, but this one is totally worth the small cost. I found it supplemented the the free resources I was using, allowing me to stop dreaming of writing my book and actually finish writing my book!

Writing Tools

1) For me, my favorite tool is pen and paper. I’m able to think more freely when I write straight onto paper. So I certainly recommend using this method and then typing your work onto the computer, which can also be the first editing session. If you like typing directly, go for it. Use whatever method that works best for you.

2) Here is a free tool that I discovered for book writing. It is called yWriter. It is free story writing software and it is offered via free download (this link just brings you to the download page only). I have this tool and I like it very much.

Some of the Features of yWriter:

• Organise your novel using a ‘project’.
  • Add files to the project, each containing a chapter.
  • Add a summary to each file, showing the scenes in each chapter.
  • Print out summary cards, showing the structure of your novel.
  • Display the word count for every file in the project, along with a total.
  • Saves a log file every day, showing words per file and the total. (Tracks your progress)
  • Saves automatic backups at user-specified intervals.
  • Allows multiple scenes within chapters
  • Viewpoint character, goal, conflict and outcome fields for each scene.
  • Storyboard view, a visual layout of your work.
  • Re-order scenes within chapters.
  • Move scenes from one chapter to another.
  • Automatic chapter renumbering.
  • FREE

3) Google Docs. I’ve talked about Google Docs before on my blog. I discovered it from Leo over at ZenHabits, a top notch productivity blog. Google Docs is a great online document application. It doesn’t have as many bells and whistles as MS Word, but it has everything the basic user needs!

The benefits to using Google Docs are:

• Online storage of your documents makes them completely portable. Access them from any computer.
  • Copy/Pasting into blogging editors is smooth and clean, perfect formatting, unlike MS Word.
  • It’s in my browser which is my main computer tool. No extra applications to open and slow me down.
  • Online sharing and publishing of your document to the web.

4) Check out my previous post on writing your book via a blog.

Getting It Done

The simple answer:

• Schedule in your writing time and do it.
  • Don’t start if you are starting other new major goals.
  • Ask a friend if they will be your Goal Buddy Turn in your draft each week to this person. They don’t even have to read them, but this can help force you to get it done. (In turn you can help keep your Goal Buddy on track for one of their goals, i.e. “What exercise did you complete today?”

The longer answer: get a copy of “Getting Things Done” by David Allen. This is the ultimate book on productivity that is customizable to the system that works best for you.

Publishing Your Book

This topic is far too extensive to give all the information that you will need in one article. But I can recommend 2 essential books that will give you everything you need to know.

The first is a world class book by a very successful self-published author. It is called The Well Fed Self Publisher: How to Turn One Book into a Full-Time Living” by Peter Bowerman. In this book, Peter covers self-publishing for both fiction and non-fiction writers.

How “The Well Fed Self Publisher” will help you:

• Develop a “marketing mindset” minus the anxiety!
  • Create a book that turns heads and grabs eyeballs
  • Find tons of reviewers anxious to publicize your book
  • Get the bookstore chains to come looking for you
  • Build a cash-generating web site that works 24/7
  • Minimize your dependence on fickle mainstream media
  • Parlay one book into multiple income streams
  • Separate the “Print-on-Demand” hype from reality

Peter is a freelance commercial writer who offers a free ezine for freelance writers. He is very successful speaker, consultant for writers, and self-published author. I have been learning from him for many years. He has two books on freelance writing, but you only need this updated one: “The Well-Fed Writer: Back for Seconds.” It gives you everything you need to know to make real money as a commercial freelance writer, the ultimate no gimmic Work-At-Home business!

The Fine Print of Self Publishing is a must have book if you want to know the pros and cons of all the the different self-publishing options out there including how to understand their contracts. The author, Mark Levine, has done all the nitty gritty research for you and culled it into terms the layman can understand and use to make an informed decision about which company to go with for self-publishing.

Conclusion

It’s not easy to write a book, but if you are committed, have a plan, and persevere, over time you will have a book! One page a day will yield a 365 page book in one year! What are you waiting for?
Steps to take today:

1. Commit your time
  2. Plan the book
  3. Write it day by day
  4. Celebrate!

Additional Writing Resources

Find tons of additional writing resources on my “Resources for Writers” page!

Please share

All comments big and small are very welcomed!

If you found this post valuable, please SHARE THIS below on Twitter, Facebook or via Email. Thank you!

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

, , , ,

229 Responses to How to Write a Book in 60 Days or Less

1. Mr.Manonera November 6, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

For me bloging is the same way as writting.My english spelling and grammer is not the best talent i have so i think that i will jump over to write a book.But anyway still useful stuuff about writing a book.You give me inspiration:-)

• AgentSully November 14, 2010 at 7:58 pm #

Mr. Manonera – keep on keeping on!

2. vickyyy December 8, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

I’m inspired by someone and im trying to make a book out of that…everyone sayd im good at writing and my grades always hit the top
    but the fact is im 14 and sometimes its not easy to get involved in something
    the post really helped but im not sure i can publish cz the fact is that im too young maybe!i definetely enjoyed reading this page and every detail impressed me
    but 60 days?? im not sure i can! HELPP!!!

• AgentSully December 12, 2010 at 8:32 pm #

Vickyyy- Take it slow and steady. Start on day one and keep working on it every day. You’ll be amazed. Seriously take it one day at a time and you will get there. I know it sounds simple, but it does work. Trust it and try it.

3. Mara January 1, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

Hi,

I think you are a fabulous person for sharing this information. Other people would charge for this. Thank you.

Mara

• AgentSully January 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Thanks Mara! Hope it is helpful to YOU! Visit again, please!

4. Cindy January 24, 2011 at 1:17 am #

Hi i was wondering about something i have writen a few books nothing finished but working on them my biggest problem is after i reread it myself i dont like it and throw it away . my previous book i am writing i let a friend read it and he loves it cant wait to see how it ends . what is your advice about being your own worst critic. thanks for listening or reading

• AgentSully September 26, 2011 at 10:32 am #

@Cindy – my apologies for the very late reply. My advice on being your own worst critic is to find someone who knows writing, who is honest but also encouraging. Get their input. Follow the constructive advice and BELIEVE the encouragement they give you. You can find someone like this through a local writing course or writing group. Keep searching until you find a good mentor like that. Keep working on your writing. Stick with it! You can do it!

5. jasmin March 25, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

thanks you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much for sharing!
    i love coming up with ideas to write a book but its takes me more than a year to finish it.

Jasmin

6. vincent April 4, 2011 at 5:26 am #

the world is such a greate place to live on.God bless to inventor of this site and keep on helping many young upcoming writers. it has also helped me alot.im working on writing a book based on my own life experiences< my experiences are such drama and i hope everyone gets time to read my book.
    amen
    vincent. M

• AgentSully April 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

@Vincent M – Thank you for your kind words. And congratulations on your writing. Wishing you much success!

7. daab May 20, 2011 at 5:00 am #

I’m gonna start writing a book today 😀
    Wish me my friends 🙂

8. LaNeisha June 24, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

this is very helpful. I’m on my 57th page, but I’ve been working on it for a while now. I started last year. It’s going very good. I’ve let my family read what I’ve so far done and they enjoy it! I prefer the typing method throughout the whole session of writing, it’s easier for me to do. Plus, I’m a fast typer. I stopped for about six to seven months though, but I’m getting it done. Thank you!!

• AgentSully July 3, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

LaNeisha -Awesome! Keep going! Let us know when you are published! You can do it!

9. Kristin August 12, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Very helpful website…..I love to write and always said that I would love to write a book someday but I have not the slightest idea how to go about it. I want to write to children more then anything else. But…I have not had any time to pursue this. I am hoping to try and write some of my ideas down and expand on them and maybe start a blog and see what happens. Thanks for all your insight!

• AgentSully August 14, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

You can do it!! Wishing you all the best, Kristin! Let us know how it goes!!

10. becky August 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Can you make any money at this??

• AgentSully August 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

@Becky – with enough work and determination, yes. It’s like getting a heavy item rolling. There’s more work in the beginning, but once it gets rolling it takes less effort to keep going.

11. Jovan October 7, 2011 at 6:13 am #

I enjoyed this article as well. I will try to write a book that is about some of the things in my life but at the same time is a novel.

I know this is random but if anyone has considered joining the navy my website is just about that! http:/www.jrockalot.com

12. Grace January 24, 2012 at 9:55 am #

The hardest thing about writing is getting it done. I always have that extreme adrenaline to start but gets a lot of work to get it done. I came across a video that relates also to your topic about how to write a book. It’s something worth watching really.

13. Kerri Bendzsel May 25, 2012 at 12:44 am #

Thanks! This helped me a lot and Im sure I will have the book Im writing done by the end of the summer. And sure to have my trilogy done by next summer! I love to write and write about 6 pages a day. I cant stop.

• AgentSully June 5, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Wow Kerri!
      That’s amazing! When you have something online, please come back and share it with us!

14. domain registration yahoo June 20, 2012 at 1:30 am #

Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up
    losing many months of hard work due to no data backup.

Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

• AgentSully June 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm #

Re: hackers
      Just keep your wordpress updated on the latest version and keep your passwords difficult and change them often. Also you could try using Sucuri monitor. They are good.

15. DJ August 16, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

This information has been SO helpful! What do you do when you are a week into developing your book and you get the idea for another book that you think would be better, but is the polar opposite of the book you are currently working on? Drop the first one and commit to the second, or put the second on the back-burner and finish the first?

• AgentSully August 16, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

Hi DJ,
      That is such a great question! Here’s what I think although I don’t think there’s any “right” answer.

If in the course of developing your first book idea you come up with a second, but Better, idea, then I think you should go with the second idea. I would view the work you put into the first idea as the path that got you to the 2nd and Better idea.

Life is short. Go for the good stuff.

If you find yourself continually coming up with “better” ideas, it will probably be best to keep a notebook with all those ideas to work through later.

Unless an idea is massively better than your 2nd idea, then stick with that and finish it. You’ll have time for more books in the future. Finishing a book will give you great motivation to write the next!

Please check back and let me know about your progress!

And thank you for letting me know that this article was so helpful to you! I’m so glad!

1. 50 Ways to Get Your Site Noticed « PravInfotech - November 22, 2010

2. Ideas: 50 Ways to Get Your Site Noticed - gigaspartan - December 5, 2010

3. 50 Ways to Get Your Site Noticed · Marwan Ansari - November 12, 2011

4. My Stream » 50 Ways to Get Your Site Noticed - January 12, 2012

[…] […]

5. A Game That Will Improve Any Relationship | Life Learning Today - August 23, 2012

[…] How to Write a Book in 60 Days or Less […]

1. […] a book is time-consuming and it is a labour of love, but it can reap so many benefits as a product in its own right. It will […]

2. […] a book is time-consuming and it is a labour of love, but it can reap so many benefits as a product in its own right. It will […]

3. […] a book is time-consuming and it is a labour of love, but it can reap so many benefits as a product in its own right. It […]

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes