Commitment

Whether you choose 60 days, 30 days or 6 months as your goal, all that matters is that you commit to it and implement a schedule that will get you there. Choose a realistic time frame that you can stick to. A little bit every day is better than trying to do too much and then giving up.

How to choose your time goal? Start by determining:

• How many hours per day can you devote to writing?
  • How many pages can you write per hour?

Example: Let’s say you commit to 2 hours per day and you’re able to write 3 pages per hour. To write an average length book of 300 pages will take 50 days. ( 300 pages per book/6 pages per day= 50 days)

My Experience: My new book, Secrets to a Healthy Life, is only 60 pages. I wrote approximately 2 pages per day and completed it in one month. I used Nick Daws method which I discuss further down in this article.

Process for Novel Writing

For writing a novel, I can recommend Randy Ingermanson’s free online manual titled: “Writing a Novel Using The Snowflake Method.” This is a concise guide that will get your novel written if you follow it. For a sneak peek, here are the 10 steps of the method. You will want to visit his site and print out the entire instructions which has detailed instructions for each of these steps. (don’t worry it’s not too long)

Snowflake Method for Writing a Novel: (summary from http://www.ingermanson.com/writing/snowflake.php)

1. Take an hour and write a one-sentence summary of your story.
  2. Take another hour and expand that sentence to a full paragraph describing the story setup, major disasters, and ending of the book.
  3. Write a short summary sheet for each character.
  4. Take several hours and expand each sentence of your summary paragraph into a full paragraph. All but the last paragraph should end in a disaster. The final paragraph should tell how the book ends.
  5. Take a day or two and write up a one-page description of each major character and a half-page description of the other important characters.
  6. Now take a week and expand the one-page plot synopsis of the story to a four-page synopsis.
  7. Take another week and expand your character descriptions into full-fledged character charts detailing everything there is to know about each character.
  8. Prep for writing the first draft: make a list of all the scenes that you’ll need to turn the story into a novel using a spreadsheet.
  9. (Optional.)Switch back to your word processor and begin writing a narrative description of the story.
  10. At this point, just sit down and start pounding out the real first draft of the story.

Randy has other products that he sells, usually for very good prices relative to the value he is offering. If you are very motivated, his free manual is probably all you will need. If you like his technique and want to dig deeper with it, check out his advanced snowflake guides.  Please do yourself a favor and visit his site. He has 2 great free monthly ezines that I subscribe to, one on novel writing and one on marketing your work.

Process for Non-Fiction (also fiction and screenplays)

Another great process resource that I can recommend is Nick Daw’s program “Write Any Book in Under 28 days”which gives you “everything you need to know to devise, write, edit and sell a complete book in the shortest possible time, be it fiction, non-fiction or even a screenplay.”

I love this program!

It is so logical and encouraging. It helps you get your book written!

The process part always lets you know what your next step is. And the encouragement part keeps you moving forward with enthusiasm.

This program does have a cost which depends on which package you choose. It is provided in the form of a CD-ROM which will run on any computer using Windows 95 or later.

Nick Daws states that anyone can write a non-fiction book. (I agree!) We all have experiences that others would find valuable and could learn from such as:

• Getting Married
  • Starting Your Own Business
  • Managing Staff
  • Managing Your Time
  • Investing Your Money
  • Study skills for students
  • Improve your memory
  • How to work your way through college
  • Making the most of student life
  • What is YOUR Life Experience you will write about?

If you click on the link it does have one of those cheesy sales pages, but never fear, the product is excellent. I bought it, used it to write my first ebook. I give this program my highest recommendation. Free resources are good, but this one is totally worth the small cost. I found it supplemented the the free resources I was using, allowing me to stop dreaming of writing my book and actually finish writing my book!

Writing Tools

1) For me, my favorite tool is pen and paper. I’m able to think more freely when I write straight onto paper. So I certainly recommend using this method and then typing your work onto the computer, which can also be the first editing session. If you like typing directly, go for it. Use whatever method that works best for you.

2) Here is a free tool that I discovered for book writing. It is called yWriter. It is free story writing software and it is offered via free download (this link just brings you to the download page only). I have this tool and I like it very much.

Some of the Features of yWriter:

• Organise your novel using a ‘project’.
  • Add files to the project, each containing a chapter.
  • Add a summary to each file, showing the scenes in each chapter.
  • Print out summary cards, showing the structure of your novel.
  • Display the word count for every file in the project, along with a total.
  • Saves a log file every day, showing words per file and the total. (Tracks your progress)
  • Saves automatic backups at user-specified intervals.
  • Allows multiple scenes within chapters
  • Viewpoint character, goal, conflict and outcome fields for each scene.
  • Storyboard view, a visual layout of your work.
  • Re-order scenes within chapters.
  • Move scenes from one chapter to another.
  • Automatic chapter renumbering.
  • FREE

3) Google Docs. I’ve talked about Google Docs before on my blog. I discovered it from Leo over at ZenHabits, a top notch productivity blog. Google Docs is a great online document application. It doesn’t have as many bells and whistles as MS Word, but it has everything the basic user needs!

The benefits to using Google Docs are:

• Online storage of your documents makes them completely portable. Access them from any computer.
  • Copy/Pasting into blogging editors is smooth and clean, perfect formatting, unlike MS Word.
  • It’s in my browser which is my main computer tool. No extra applications to open and slow me down.
  • Online sharing and publishing of your document to the web.

4) Check out my previous post on writing your book via a blog.

Getting It Done

The simple answer:

• Schedule in your writing time and do it.
  • Don’t start if you are starting other new major goals.
  • Ask a friend if they will be your Goal Buddy Turn in your draft each week to this person. They don’t even have to read them, but this can help force you to get it done. (In turn you can help keep your Goal Buddy on track for one of their goals, i.e. “What exercise did you complete today?”

The longer answer: get a copy of “Getting Things Done” by David Allen. This is the ultimate book on productivity that is customizable to the system that works best for you.

Publishing Your Book

This topic is far too extensive to give all the information that you will need in one article. But I can recommend 2 essential books that will give you everything you need to know.

The first is a world class book by a very successful self-published author. It is called The Well Fed Self Publisher: How to Turn One Book into a Full-Time Living” by Peter Bowerman. In this book, Peter covers self-publishing for both fiction and non-fiction writers.

How “The Well Fed Self Publisher” will help you:

• Develop a “marketing mindset” minus the anxiety!
  • Create a book that turns heads and grabs eyeballs
  • Find tons of reviewers anxious to publicize your book
  • Get the bookstore chains to come looking for you
  • Build a cash-generating web site that works 24/7
  • Minimize your dependence on fickle mainstream media
  • Parlay one book into multiple income streams
  • Separate the “Print-on-Demand” hype from reality

Peter is a freelance commercial writer who offers a free ezine for freelance writers. He is very successful speaker, consultant for writers, and self-published author. I have been learning from him for many years. He has two books on freelance writing, but you only need this updated one: “The Well-Fed Writer: Back for Seconds.” It gives you everything you need to know to make real money as a commercial freelance writer, the ultimate no gimmic Work-At-Home business!

The Fine Print of Self Publishing is a must have book if you want to know the pros and cons of all the the different self-publishing options out there including how to understand their contracts. The author, Mark Levine, has done all the nitty gritty research for you and culled it into terms the layman can understand and use to make an informed decision about which company to go with for self-publishing.

Conclusion

It’s not easy to write a book, but if you are committed, have a plan, and persevere, over time you will have a book! One page a day will yield a 365 page book in one year! What are you waiting for?
Steps to take today:

1. Commit your time
  2. Plan the book
  3. Write it day by day
  4. Celebrate!

Additional Writing Resources

Find tons of additional writing resources on my “Resources for Writers” page!

Please share

All comments big and small are very welcomed!

If you found this post valuable, please SHARE THIS below on Twitter, Facebook or via Email. Thank you!

Enter your email address: Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

1. 1
    Pipe Smoking
    May 23rd, 2007 at 10:48 am

This is super huge post! Really a cool guide on how to write a book though.

I really wanted to write my own book but then I started a blog. In a lot of ways it’s just like a book ;)

2. 2
    May 23rd, 2007 at 7:09 pm

Thanks, PS. I know, I’ve been working on a book too and it has taken back burner to this blog. The book will come later. Just a matter of priorities. Once the blog is a little more automatic, I’ll have time to work on it.

3. 8
    Ioannus de Verani
    June 19th, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Thanks so much for writing this post. You have helped motivate to work on my unfinished novel.

4. 9
    Geert
    June 19th, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Another good free writing software is Celtx :

5. 10
    Dan BIrchall
    June 19th, 2007 at 7:44 pm

When you say “( 300 pages per day /6 pages per hour= 50 days)” I think what you really mean is “(300 pages / 6 pages per day = 50 days)”

6. 12
    garg
    June 20th, 2007 at 12:55 am

This can be applied to many things. I’ve written articles using this technique as well as computer programs and even created paintings.

1. Create a theme/idea
    2. Rough it out
    3. Refine
    4. Repeat :D

Thanks!

7. 15
    A Tentative Personal Finance Blog
    June 20th, 2007 at 9:04 am

I’m going to write an ebook.

8. 21
    June 24th, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Ioarnus – good luck finishing your novel!

Geert – thanks for that free link.

Dan – Yes, you’re right. I’ve fixed this. thanks!

Garg – Thanks for sharing!

Pers Fin Blog – let us all know when your ebook is complete and we’ll come over to check it out!

9. 25
    Leisa Watkins
    July 5th, 2007 at 9:58 pm

Interesting article. I am currently taking an TeleSeminar from a New York Times bestselling author who says that he edits his book on average at least 800 times, so I was a little skeptical when I read the title of your article. But the beauty of the system is that it gives people a deadline, and thus it gets done.

10. 26
    July 7th, 2007 at 2:37 pm

Leisa – thanks. you’re right that 60 days is a challenging timeframe, and you’re also right that having a deadline is what gets things done! It’s all about priorities and can you fit it in.

Thank you for visiting. Hope to see you here again!

11. 31
    Writing Course
    August 30th, 2007 at 10:37 am

I’ve been sitting the course at http://www.writequickly.com/ from Nick Daws and it’s brilliant!

The writers circle at http://www.mywriterscircle.com/ contains many thousands who’ve sat the course and published books in under a month.

Highly recommend.

12. 32
    Writers Circle
    August 30th, 2007 at 10:37 am

Sorry, I forgot to say that his site is about writing a book in 28 days or less…

13. 36
    Visitor404
    October 3rd, 2007 at 9:27 pm

I have visited your site 961-times

14. 37
    Jerad Kaliher
    October 11th, 2007 at 2:07 am

I stumbled across this post back in June. It actually inspired me to begin blogging. I have always wanted to try to write and I figured that I should start with an informative topic and in a news style before I try my hand at fiction or a serious title.

Thank you for the great information, it makes a big difference.

15. 38
    October 16th, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Visitor 404 – wow. that’s a lot of visits! How can you tell it’s been that many times?

Jerad – so happy to hear that this post was helpful. Stay in touch!

16. 41
    suicidalsam
    November 20th, 2007 at 6:04 pm

Great tips. I never even imagine i would ever write a book but with your tips i think i can now. :D

17. 42
    ArchAngel
    November 27th, 2007 at 11:47 am

Thank you :) I just started putting pen to paper (followed by fingers to keyboard) and was wavering as to whether I was being a fool or not. You just gave me the kick I needed ;)

18. 44
    Phoenix Homes Guy
    January 9th, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Definitely wish I would have read this a year or so ago! I’ve got a few unfinished books and figured out why they’re still unfinished!! Thanks for the tips – the conclusion says it all.

19. 45
    tekstil
    January 10th, 2008 at 7:33 am

i think, it is very hard to write a book even in 6 months

20. 46
    sam
    January 11th, 2008 at 2:30 pm

@ tekstil

it depends on the person actually, some learn quickly so the timeframe can differ from person to person. we can’t actually give a date, its all upto the person.

nice post btw, it would certainly be helpful for people who wanted take up writing.

21. 47
    Carol Denbow
    January 13th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I’ve writen books in less than 2 months. But then there’s the editing, layout, etc. These things take time, especially if you are relying on an outside entity to complete this process for you.
    The process of writing, publishing, and “selling” (the hardest part) can be especially frustrating to many upcoming authors. This may be why so many talented writers never see their books in print. It is also why I chose to write my third book, “A Book Inside, Writing, publishing, and selling your story.” (will be released in 2008).
    I am always happy to offer advice to new writer’s. Feel free to e-mail me at cdenbow@plainandsimplebooks.com or visit my website at http://www.plainandsimplebooks.com

22. 48
    Divorce
    January 25th, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Lots of great info here. Very inspiring. Now to get to work turning my blog into an ebook.

23. 49
    Robert Eckert
    January 27th, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Excellent Blog!Very well designed and focused.

24. 50
    Jeff Deese, Sr.
    February 3rd, 2008 at 9:07 pm

I’m thinking about writing a book. I appreciate reading your comments without it ending up to be some sells pitch.

25. 51
    Travis R. Thomas
    February 4th, 2008 at 8:12 pm

This is an excellent resource!

Very Sincerely,

Travis R. Thomas

26. 52
    Michael Ashley
    February 4th, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Thanks for the great tips. I wanted to add FastPencil.com to your Writing Tools section. I created FastPencil.com to help authors write better. It’s like yWriter and Google Docs on Steroids… Let me know what you think: FastPencil.com – The fast, easy, organized way to write. Thanks, Michael Ashley

27. 53
    Pamela Williams
    February 9th, 2008 at 5:09 am

Great information on writing a book in 60 days. Thank you for the tips!

28. 54
    Free eBooks
    February 12th, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Great post! One day I will write an ebook!

29. 55
    sing_anyway
    February 18th, 2008 at 12:50 am

I am so glad I found this. I love that you are a mom and author, that is 1/2 of what I am so far!
    I write all the time at home. My mother and husband just ganged up to ask me why I do not try to write a book. They basically dared me to.
    I am glad to already find some rescourses out there, because all I do is pound on keys or wear down pencils, it will be nice to have a little help formatting it all.
    Thank you!

30. 56
    Heidi
    February 28th, 2008 at 1:33 am

Can you connect me with a writing “coach”.

Heidi

31. 57
    March 3rd, 2008 at 8:52 pm

@Heidi – try either the snowflake guy or the Nick Daws site. Either of them might have coaching programs available, although I’m not 100% sure.

32. 58
    March 3rd, 2008 at 9:35 pm

@sing-anyway – thanks! :) Wishing you tons of success!

33. 59
    dizi videolari
    March 6th, 2008 at 7:32 pm

this is impossible!!

34. 60
    inzoni
    March 7th, 2008 at 6:44 pm

hello everyone..

Hi agentsully …

I really appriciate good content when i see some … also i`m a:

- father of one boy
    - married ten years ago
    - blogger
    - furniture sales man

i have bookmarked your site also

keep posting good content …

inzoni

35. 61
    Abbey
    March 9th, 2008 at 2:20 pm

I just wanted to point out that if you do use Google Docs to store your draft online, make sure to be careful of your login info being stolen. Gmail is known for security flaws and you should definitely back up your work somewhere else too, just in case.

36. 62
    yadotgninraelefil
    March 11th, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I’ve wrote half of my book this month and what really helped me was wearing that cafepress T-shirt with “I WANT TO WRITE A BOOK” written on it.

37. 63
    Lambert
    March 17th, 2008 at 2:03 am

Wow! the main reason why i was browsing the web was to find an inspiring page like ours. I want to thank you for allowing me to see the other side of myself. A side that isnt afraid to write becuz others might ridicule me and etc..nah.! you gave me hope, you gave me a breath of life and finally you challenge me into writing again. I dont beleive that it was an accident that out of all these site’s online i found yours. Its a heaven sent message to fear not what your fixed mindset might imagine but explore your growing mindset into a journey that would make me smile for all eternity. Yes..I am back on my pen to the pad and isnt stopping becuz i feel a certain way nor get distracted becuz i want to be distracted.

38. 64
    Lambert
    March 17th, 2008 at 2:05 am

Fear not the laughter of the minds of millions but rejoice in the writing of thousands. We tend to shy away from our goals due to Fear. We are afraid that people will not accept our abilities and therefore feel like we are a totally failure. However,. I see life not in the socially aceeptable consensus(reality).but in a growing and developing way.

39. 65
    New Age Books
    March 18th, 2008 at 11:16 am

The best tip I can offer for pumping out a novel fast is to take some article writing work on a deadline, to stretch the muscles and raise the bar. My last novel took nearly three months, but a freelance assignment had me writing over 20,000 words just last week!

40. 66
    Floroskop
    March 19th, 2008 at 3:20 am

Hello!
    I think this try.

41. 67
    gadabout
    March 20th, 2008 at 11:18 pm

Thank you so much for this resource!!

42. 68
    March 21st, 2008 at 10:15 pm

@gadabout – glad you find it valuable!

43. 69
    March 22nd, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Thanks New Age Books. That’s a really good point!

44. 70
    March 22nd, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Thanks to everyone who has been visiting, reading, and commenting. Please let me know how things are going with your journey to write a book!

45. 71
    cameron
    March 22nd, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I bookmarked this page. Thanks.

46. 72
    Nai
    March 23rd, 2008 at 8:58 am

Wow. You are the first person I know who has written something like this. It’s very comprehensive and useful. Now, if only I had the time, and the motivation.. sigh :)

47. 73
    Jayne
    March 24th, 2008 at 12:21 am

Lambert, I totally agree with you. It’s the fear of ridicule that one’s writing will not be ‘worthy’ compared to other well-known authors. We forget that they, too, were once struggling, anxious and anonymous writers. Sites like these, and comments like yours, feed the inspiration in one’s soul to get up and get on with it. Good luck to everyone seeking inspiration from this site. I, too, have found it very worthwhile.

Jayne

48. 74
    March 25th, 2008 at 11:44 am

@Jayne – Welcome! and thank you for sharing your thoughts! Hope to see you again soon!

49. 75
    J.Harry Thomas
    March 29th, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Thank you.

This is a fantastic site.It never ceases to amaze me how people are so willing to help others who have only been on the road for awhile.

More power to you!

Harry

50. 76
    Harry Potter
    April 1st, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Great post with many useful details.
    I wish I could write a book!

51. 77
    DailySpends
    April 16th, 2008 at 6:33 am

3 Times I tried to write an eBook. It’s really hard! Great tips though . . . and a great article . . . maybe I’ll give it another bash.

52. 78
    Tuna
    April 17th, 2008 at 11:23 pm

This site really helped me get started. I got some great ideas, on how to get this done. It was like a little push for me, this website was really helpful. THANKS!!!!

53. 79
    Allon
    April 20th, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Super post!

It will take commitment to complete the task of writing a novel.

I like the snowflake method of writing presented in your article.

Just stick with it because nothing can take the place of persistence!

54. 80
    April 25th, 2008 at 4:26 pm

@Allon – thanks! Wishing you the best of luck!!!

55. 81
    April 25th, 2008 at 4:30 pm

@Tuna -Yay! I’m so happy to hear that! Thanks for letting me know! When your book is finished, please come back and let us know the title and where to buy it!

56. 82
    April 25th, 2008 at 4:37 pm

@DailySpends – give it another try!! And keep us updtated on your progress!!!

57. 83
    sunnyray meditations
    May 27th, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I am glad I found this post since you have put together a lot of useful advices that I might just need when I decide to write my next book. From my experience, 60 days is not enough time to write a book. However, I guess for an organized and devoted person it could be possible.

58. 84
    May 28th, 2008 at 10:47 am

@Sunnyray – It just all depends on the length and scope of your proposed book. Let us know when you have your new book out.

Mine came out yesterday!! Here’s the link:
    Secrets to a Healthy Life

59. 85
    sunnyray meditations
    May 30th, 2008 at 4:46 am

@Agentsully – Yes, I agree, it depends on the size and scope of the book. Thanks for the link to your new book. I wish you a lot of success with it, and once my new book is out, I will let you know.

60. 86
    Gerard Espinas
    June 26th, 2008 at 2:31 am

A Great Resources. Now I am writing a Computer ebook teaching people on how to fix their computer from hard disk crashes, spyware removal, pc performance optimization, and etc.

61. 87
    Faiz
    July 1st, 2008 at 6:15 am

Planning does make tasks simpler. The same is true for writing a book as well. I also thought of writing a book but it didn’t go well. I left it. But I will definitely try by starting small.

62. 88
    July 9th, 2008 at 9:00 pm

@Faiz – what will be the topic of your book? Or will it be a story? Let us know! Maybe it will get you started!

63. 89
    July 11th, 2008 at 4:49 pm

@Gerard – awesome! When it’s finished, come back here and give us a link to it!

64. 90
    sharon dunbar
    July 16th, 2008 at 12:17 am

iam trying to get my book publish through our company it is a very interested story concerning me and my three kids it would have the public where they can’t put it down that how interesting the story is.

65. 91
    July 17th, 2008 at 9:18 pm

@sharon – let us know when it’s published!

66. 92
    mohamed hasan dirir
    July 19th, 2008 at 10:38 am

iam requesting to help me how to write a book

67. 93
    Bertonian
    July 19th, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Great advices are offered on this site. I don’t know if anyone is aware of this, but this is the formula I used to write my book in less than thirty days: First, I wrote a page full of phrases about the plot. For instance, this was one of my phrases: Money is a lot more complicated than it seems.
    Next, I recorded all my thoughts in my camerea as I paced back and forth during the middle of the night. I was fully awake, my mind was clear, and it was very peaceful. Within 2 hours, I recorded more than half of my book.
    Writing as I listened to the audio took a while. However, as I wrote, new ideas came in.
    My ebook, It’s Your Turn to Be rich, is selling online at Lulu.com. I also give away free copies of it to anyone interested. Just email me at Betonian@gmail.com.

68. 94
    online shopping
    July 24th, 2008 at 6:38 am

The problem is that there are just so many e-Books out there, and everybody is saying, “Hey, you want to make quick money? Write an e-Book.” Second to that problem, is the problem that people are writing them and not giving a heck about the quality. It’s not about quality, you see, or content. It’s just about making a quick buck while selling pretty useless information to those unsuspecting individuals who don’t know better.

69. 95
    July 28th, 2008 at 3:05 pm

@online shopping – There are so many books in general, aren’t there! There are good and bad in both print and online. It’s probably easier to issue a bad ebook than in print.

I stand behind my book 100%, though. If you don’t like it, return it for a full refund! I hope you buy it and like it!

70. 96
    Mike Oldfield
    August 10th, 2008 at 2:37 am

The pontificating grammar idiots make me want to throw up.

The wannabe, I need a shrink, pathetic writers do too.

Writing a book is a business undertaking. If no one wants to read your book, your business will fail.

If a market does want to read your book AND you know how to market, you will succeed.

There are countless books and articles on how to market your books before, during and after they’re done.

THE MAGIC BULLET OR POTION OR FORMULA IS SIT DOWN AND FINISH IT AND THEN MARKET TO YOUR MARKET. THAT”S IT. THHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTT IIIIIIISSSSSSSS IIIIIIIIIITTTTTT! THAT”S IT MAN! JUST DO IT ALREADY.

Too many writers want someone else to underwrite their “no market” writing output.

If you have valuable information, cash it in.

The way you write a book is to sit down, spend about 12 hours perfecting a table of contents. Go relax for the rest of the day. Go to bed. Get up and start writing every day until you are done.

When you are done, you contact the folks in your market, clamoring for new information on your subject and send them a book and press release. If they don’t respond. You wasted your time on a subject no one cares about or your book sucks really bad. It’s an A B thing. A no market. B it sucks.

Why did you do that?

Valuable information that your market is clamoring to have will forgive you for less than perfect grammar.

If they know what you meant when you are through writing your sentence, communication has taken place.

Copywriters have written millions of lines of improper grammar that has sold trillions of dollars in product.

The grammar crowd is pissed because what they latched onto as the most important priority got them mostly nowhere, gets them passed over for parties except those with other, uptight, arrogant people that love to commiserate about how the rest of us are so ignorant as a way of making themselves feel superior.

Editors are too often bitter wannabe, couldn’t get published myself, mean people. They’re critics who can’t do it themselves.

Editors can ruin books. Editors can make them better. Watch for an attitude people. If they have one then they suck like all other mean people.

If they don’t then they are probably a pretty good editor and can make a book better.
    Grammar zealots need to get off their high horse and find something worthwhile to be pissed about.

Billion dollar industries that flourish using IMPROPER GRAMMAR. Advertising, Hip Hop Music, Reality TV and All Shows using slang of the year, comedy of every kind and so on.

Apparently society has decided you should be told to take your grammar and shove it in your high horses arse!

Mike Oldfield

71. 97
    August 12th, 2008 at 8:25 pm

@Mike Oldfield – I think you’re right that what you say is more powerful than proper grammar. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

72. 98
    Fine art painting
    August 15th, 2008 at 5:12 am

Your advice is not only applicable for authors or in writing books. It is also applicable for people who need to finish something to meet a deadline. A realistic time frame does not become realistic when there is no commitment. Any objective or goal in life can never be achieved without a commitment to a realistic time frame.

73. 99
    Waldon WRIGHT
    August 31st, 2008 at 5:48 am

Quite useful for a first timer & prospective first time writer of non-fiction. Appreciated!

74. 100
    Tina Berry
    September 7th, 2008 at 6:39 pm

I would just like to say Thank You. At least now I know how to Start with Steps. Knowing a bit more than I want to write about THIS or THAT is helpful. There’s a plan.

75. 101
    esmeralda
    September 15th, 2008 at 6:04 pm

i want to write my own book but i feel that is going to sound dumb what i writte..!

76. 102
    esmeralda
    September 15th, 2008 at 6:09 pm

besides i try once and my friend end up doing better than me when i saw her story..!

77. 103
    titus
    September 16th, 2008 at 3:56 am

i would like to a new book please send to me full detailed copy of information

78. 104
    October 2nd, 2008 at 6:11 pm

@Esmeralda – Give it a shot! You can do it!!!!

79. 105
    brook johnson
    October 9th, 2008 at 3:15 pm

i would like to write a story about how i lived with a real life habitual liar and how i left her behind. Got married and have a beautiful normal life now.

80. 106
    brook johnson
    October 9th, 2008 at 3:17 pm

i wanna right a book about my life

81. 107
    kish
    October 21st, 2008 at 2:02 am

Thank you for taking the time to encourage and inspire both myself and everyone else on this site. I hope everyone writes a book someday.

Only a fool under estimates the power of the written word. Thanks again!

82. 108
    Rhythm
    October 21st, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Wow. This was very helpful. I’ve recently decided that I wanted to write a book. It’s based on a short story I wrote that a lot of people said I should create a book out of. I have started on an outline for it and this should help me complete the novel without giving up on it.

Thank you!

83. 109
    Caz
    October 27th, 2008 at 4:49 pm

wow, thank you so much for making this post. I have always wanted to write a book, and this just pushed me to give it a go. I have made a few attempts before but never finished. :):):)

84. 110
    Tag
    November 12th, 2008 at 7:29 pm

For the longest time i have had the notion, that i should write a book, or put my thoughts on some form of writing. I have alwasy thought that my english, writing and spelling skills weren’t up to par with the world. I believe that the hardest part to writing a book, is the first step. Much the same can be said about anything else we deal with in life. Its Just getting thru that step, the fear, the anxiaty… I hope i can over come that step and put pen to paper. I feel like my brain is rattles with information, stories and experiences that i should put to good use.

Thank you for your bog, defenietly something worth readin.

85. 111
    dijon
    December 11th, 2008 at 8:20 pm

iam 15 year young and iam trying to write a book just about life in in highshool and i need help S.O.S

86. 112
    dijon
    December 11th, 2008 at 8:23 pm

I also would to write about mylife

87. 113
    dijon
    December 11th, 2008 at 8:24 pm

would some1 like 2 help me write a book

88. 114
    milpiewrite
    December 14th, 2008 at 8:56 am

This site was an awesome find for me! Here I sat on my 46 birthday thinking that another year has gone by and I haven’t yet fullfilled my lifelong dream to write a book. And then I just started googling and this posting popped up! What an inspiration for me! I hope to be posting on my 47th birthday that I’ve been published! Thanks so much for this info and for the inspiring words of other writers.

89. 115
    tyas
    December 17th, 2008 at 9:38 am

thanks a lot for sharing this.. I’ve been trying on writing a book about self improvement in bahasa Indonesia.. (I am Indonesian).. This is really helpful for me..

90. 116
    butterflyqueen
    December 18th, 2008 at 1:23 am

this has been helpful. i have tried many times to write a book but i can get started but i never know how to finish it. i have also sent a book off to a publisher years ago, and got rejected so i haven’t done that again.

91. 117
    December 29th, 2008 at 5:03 pm

@butterflyqueen – wishing you good luck with your book!

92. 118
    Hector Lopez
    January 24th, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Thank you! I’ve been wondering on what steps to take to get me book back on track, and this is it! Thanks again! _Hector_

93. 119
    January 24th, 2009 at 10:29 pm

@Hector – Awesome! I’m so glad to hear it! let us know how you progress!

94. 120
    Fantasy Creator
    January 27th, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I read the article it really helped me getting start with my fantasy novel which combine all the elements of famous fantasy novel such as “Lord of the Rings”, “Inheritence Cycle”, “Harry Potter” and many others.

Wait for my big hit!!

95. 121
    JustaKid
    February 23rd, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I really want to write a book… But I don’t really want to confront my parents about it. And I have some really good ideas too. I’ve written a lot of short storiesand I enjoy them. I just wonder if I’ll be picked on about it. That is, if I do write one.

96. 122
    Bernice McNeil
    February 27th, 2009 at 9:54 am

I have been starting my book for 5 years if not longer. That’s just it, never knew how or where to start. My husband gave me a little push yesterday and I stumbled upon your site today. The information provided here is wonderful and very much appreciated. You have sparked my desire to get it done. Therefore, I am starting today with pen and paper. Thank you

97. 123
    March 9th, 2009 at 2:27 pm

@Bernice – Thank you for taking the time to let me know how you feel. I’m rooting for you!! You can do it! Please check back and let us know your progress!! Really!!!

98. 124
    katrina
    March 12th, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Hi Kristin,
    I am enjoying your blog, so much to explore! Thanks for all the good information today. It was fun visiting and watching our angels playing together.
    Katrina

99. 125
    March 12th, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Katrina,
    Thank you for hosting such a nice time. Great tea and great conversation! Good luck with your books. We’ll have to help each other with deadlines!

100. 126
    Jay
    March 16th, 2009 at 5:33 am

Very nice information.

I have a question. Is it okay to copy some portion (may be a paragraph) of a book in your own book without being penalized of plagiarism?

I have read a book also that full of contents made by other author. It is just like a compilation of different topic.

101. 127
    Aubra Wilson
    March 18th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

This was very helpful. Thank you.

102. 128
    JustaKid
    March 19th, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I’ve finally told my parents after weeks of building up the nerve. I got started the second they said, “That’s a great idea.” This site really helped me! My story is getting there. It’s more like a mix of “Twilight”, “Kingdom Hearts”, and “Cirque Du Freak”. But, the some what odd news is that I left my first chapter in my ELA class and my teacher got a hold of it and read it to the entire class the next day! I felt like I was sinking into a little hole that I would never come out from. On the bright site, everyone really liked it!

103. 129
    March 22nd, 2009 at 11:55 am

@Just a Kid – woohoo! Good for you! Keep it up! Just keep plugging away, you’ll get there! Please keep us updated on your progress!!

104. 130
    March 22nd, 2009 at 12:06 pm

@Jay – when you use other people’s writing you need to source it – giving credit- if it is a short clip. But if it is lengthy, you should probably get permission first.

105. 131
    Smiley
    March 24th, 2009 at 11:38 am

Wow!! What a great site. I’m also an inspiring wannabe writer :) lol. Thank you for sharing such valuable information. I just wanted to find a site that would help me with my take off of beginning my book, but wow the comments were so interesting that I couldn’t stop reading everyone’s responses. Thanks again for your generosity of sharing great comments and valuable information for beginners like me. God Bless you.

106. 132
    March 24th, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Hi Smiley – thanks for your positive contribution here! Wishing you lots of success and enjoyment with writing your book! Let us know how things come along!

107. 133
    Mark
    March 25th, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Yeah, I’ve been thinking of writing a book for a long time too, but just recently I’ve started writing. To me the hardest part is starting, I never want to start writing even thought I have million ideas in my head that I want to write. I dont know why it’s like that but now I’m really going to force me to write it, there is just some little things in the plot that I need to think about, and when I think my plot it’s kinda a crazy and never could work, but I dont care.

But anyway thanks for that info and some of thoese programs, gotta try them when I have time.

108. 134
    April 3rd, 2009 at 3:22 pm

@Mark – Thanks for sharing your dilemma. Here’s what I do when I’m lacking motivation to write:

I imagine that I am writing to a specific person, whether I am teaching or telling a story. When I have the audience/reader in my mind it becomes more of a conversation and things start to flow very easily.

Let me know if that helps you!

109. 135
    Blue
    April 6th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

thanks, im normally a good writer but just need to improve my skills as a storyteller.

110. 136
    Raju Sharma
    April 9th, 2009 at 2:22 am

I think you have given me some of the most practical tips. I have been sitting over 25 pages of my book and have not been able to move ahead. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I will definetely complete it. Would you my Buddy to keep a check on me, Please?

111. 137
    Aajah
    April 9th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

it was very good this info and im only eight yeahs old and ive a ll ready been writinh little storys but now i wanna write a book

112. 138
    lark
    April 18th, 2009 at 1:03 am

wow this is some goood advise, im thinking about writing
    a book….and this is what i want to do for college….
    but im only in middle school so i have some time to hown
    in on my skills….but yeah this is good!!!!
    see yah…maybe you can read my *future* books
    lmao

113. 139
    Kain
    April 24th, 2009 at 6:13 pm

I’m almost 19 now and in the last few years i started feeling an urge to create some piece of art. Wrote my first piece of blank verse. My art teacher was surprised how deep i dig into one’s feelings. It is called “ice” and pretty much bone chilling. Also tried writing some about beautiful feelings like compassion, love but that didn’t work out. It were just some unconnected phrases. I knew then that i’m only good at writing tragic.

So i kinda have few problems here:

1. Pretty much all my life i’ve been told how ugly, weird, unrecognised i was, so i lack some self esteem. I don’t even know if this challenge of a book will prove anyone, or even myself a point that this is worth anything, as someone here in comments stated that my subject might not be good. So i have my doubts about my composition – i do want to put the problems that are on my mind to paper, show the struggles of the characters and don’t want to end up being revised by ppl to be “copying some old (or dead) dude’s book/ideas”.

2. There are many books, games, films with same themes, and my is not new. I have a little philosophy concerning the matter of copying what’s been said already or making something that has something similar done in the past: “If a man in a snowy forest leaves his path to follow a star – he leaves his footprints in the snow. His outcome may be different – maybe he finds a treasure, and maybe he slipps off a cliff without finishing his path. But the others then start to follow his footprints. They do not look up to the star to guide them, they just follow the footprints. And they eventually end – either cuts off unexpectedly in the middle of the road or near an empty treasure chest. But those who leave their path following the same star at the same exact corner the 1′st man did are not following his footprints (even though they might be going foot to foot) but emulates his path to find their own fortune, because they both have their eyes on the star, and not on somebody’s foot”. Even it sound a little inspirational i fear that i might not know the line between the two. How to find my very own creative inspiration. The life changes, how do i preserve it?

Maybe all i need is someone to support me, or maybe i need to do some work. Just give me an advice.

114. 140
    Kain
    April 24th, 2009 at 6:31 pm

is there a word limit to comments? i just wrote a little post of 434 words (little xD ) and it didn’t show up

115. 141
    April 28th, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Good luck Raju – Please feel free to check in with us frequently on your progress. We’ll be waiting to hear from you!

116. 142
    April 28th, 2009 at 3:50 pm

@Aajah – Good luck! What will your book be about?

117. 143
    April 28th, 2009 at 3:51 pm

@lark – please let us know about your book that you want to write! Wishing you best of luck!

118. 144
    April 28th, 2009 at 4:57 pm

@Kain – (sorry for the late reply – this comment somehow ended up in spam comments in error).

Here’s my advice:
    1. Forget about personal attacks from the past. Find a writing mentor locally perhaps by taking a writing course or joining a writing group. Keep searching until you find someone who will be supportive. If you keep looking for support you will find it. If you keep thinking of people who don’t support you, then you will continue to find them too. Focus on the bright future. It’s there if you want it. Be prepared to put in the time to hone your writing skills – from the creative (your story) to the clarity of communication (how well you get your point across) to the framework (spelling, grammar, etc.)

2. Regarding similar themes from other stories. Don’t worry about that. There are many stories that have the same or similar theme. What makes them great or not is HOW they are told. Write the story you want to write. Will it be the best you ever write? Possibly, but not likely. Like any craft, practice, practice, and more practice will bring mastery.

I wish you the best of luck with your writing! Believe in yourself. You can do it. Don’t give up. Keep working at it and you will get there.

119. 147
    amjad
    May 13th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

i hope your book will become great

120. 148
    Crystal Kovea
    May 27th, 2009 at 10:13 pm

OMG! I’m writing my first book, and, like, this totally helped!!

121. 149
    R. E. G.
    May 28th, 2009 at 9:47 am

I have written five books, and I am only 16, about to turn 17. Writting has come fairly easy to me. Normally, I would just sit down and start writing, and the plot of the story folds out. I was curious about how other people write their books, the different methods and everything. Starting out with pen and paper works for me as well, but sometimes I start out typing the whole book out. Actually, there may have been about 3 books I hand written. The second book I wrote, I hand wrote for the first few chapters. When I finished typing the chapters, I ended up going on. My books are mostly about a whole other realm parallel to ours, and about magic. I cannot write for several hours a day, but when I do start to write, I write quite a bit of pages. But what struck me is about the 300 pages. Is it 300 pages of notebook paper (hand written) or is it 300 pages typed on copy paper? Every one of my books only reaches about a hundred–the second book almost reached 200 with about 20 pages to go (all typed). But when I hand write them on notebook paper, it doesn’t always read 100 pages. To be honest, I don’t think I could write a 300 page book. I want to, but the story always comes out short. My Creative Writing teacher already says I am wordy when I write. What should I do?

I may not be able to get back on this website, because my sister loves the internet, and I am usually reading or writing. So, if you will, please, email me at my email address that I have listed up above in the section before I left my [rediculously long] comment. Perhaps you could send me the name of your publisher that you used? I’ve been having trouble finding a publisher ever since I wrote book 1.

122. 150
    R. E. G.
    May 28th, 2009 at 9:59 am

Kain, I hope you find this.
    You wrote, “The life changes, how do i preserve it?”
    Perhaps you could write a journal about your life. That way you can preserve what happened when life starts to change.
    Your philosophy is a pretty good philosophy. I like it. Good job.
    I thought of something earlier today. I heard someone say that there will always be someone criticizing your work. I thought about something to say to those said criticizers, it went something along the lines of this: “You can criticize all you want. Go on, criticize. Do it some more, and again, and again, and again. You want to know something?….I don’t care.”
    Something like that.
    I hope that at least some of what I said helped.

123. 151
    R. E. G.
    May 31st, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I sent in letters to 3 publishers telling them that I wish for my work to be published. Wish me luch anyone?

124. 152
    June 6th, 2009 at 11:15 am

@R.E.G. -Good Luck!!!! Let us know your results!

125. 153
    June 6th, 2009 at 11:42 am

@R.E.G. – It might be more helpful to think of it in terms of number of words. In a novel the average would be between 80,000 and 150,000 words. For non-fiction the range is wider – 20,000 – 200,000.

Regarding lengthening out your story, you may want to add more characters, fill in more detail about each character, and/or add more to the plot such as sub-plots.

With that said, short stories are very popular too. Maybe that is your thing. You might want to consider publishing a book of short stories. There are many authors who do this. And there are many readers (like me) who love the low level commitment of reading a short story vs reading a long novel. So don’t worry if your stories are short.

I would also recommend seeking out a writing mentor by joining some writing groups or taking classes with many different teachers.

Good luck!

126. 154
    June 6th, 2009 at 11:51 am

@Crystal – Woo hoo! That’s awesome! Please check back and let us know about your final results with your book!!

127. 155
    R. E. G.
    June 6th, 2009 at 6:08 pm

I was actually thinking about making a book of short stories, and also one with poems as well! I have taken a writing class. My sophmore year in high school I took a class called Creative Writing. This year, I signed up for the second course of Creative Writing. I hear that the teacher assigns an assignment at the beginning and that is due on the last day of the course: to write a novel!
    About the whole adding more characters and/or adding sub-plots, I’m not quite so sure. My Creative Writing teacher read my first three books. He said I was wordy. Is being wordy bad?

128. 156
    June 7th, 2009 at 6:16 pm

@R.E.G. – is wordy bad? If you lose the interest of your reader or if your message is confusing, then yes wordy can be bad. That’s something I always try to be cognizant in my own writing.

A good exercise is to write a short essay and let it sit for a day or two. Then go back and see if you can eliminate 1/3 of the words and still get your point across and still sound natural. You may have moments where you feel like you are losing something from your story, but still go with it. You will be training yourself to write more succinctly. Then over time, in your regular writing try to do this as you go along or when you edit.

Wishing you lots of progress! Sounds like you are enjoying it all and that’s the main thing anyway!
    Cheers!

129. 157
    R. E. G
    June 8th, 2009 at 10:35 am

I will try that.

130. 158
    R.E.G.
    June 12th, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I found another website that might help some people on writing. I signed up on twitter and this author followed me. She’s the one that showed me this link. It’s really helpful, and it also has a link that will help you get published!!!!!!

131. 159
    Sophie
    June 27th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Hey this site really helped me!!! :-p

132. 160
    July 8th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

@Sophie- I’m so glad to hear that this site helped you! Thanks for commenting! Please tell your friends! :)

133. 161
    garrett grahn
    July 12th, 2009 at 1:57 am

THANK YOU FOR THIS WONDERFUL RESOURCE. It’s now going on three years since you originally posted this online and it is the best free resource I’ve come across to help me get my ideas launched. So I thank you for all of your efforts.

134. 162
    July 21st, 2009 at 9:43 pm

@Garrett – Yay! I’m so glad to hear that! Thank you and let us know when you have your first book completed! Please pass it on to others!

135. 163
    Regina
    July 27th, 2009 at 8:45 pm

WOW. So many great places to visit. I appreciate all of the help that is out there for people like me that have been pounding the keys for so long yet have not writtten a book yet. I have also been “dared” to do so. I am hoping that I can find what I need to be successful. Thanks to everyone here.

;-)

136. 164
    July 29th, 2009 at 2:01 pm

@Regina – You can do it! What will your book be about?

137. 165
    Gary
    August 2nd, 2009 at 8:37 am

i was just thinking about writing the other night and after reading this i really want to be a writer i can start writing some stories first then go to those other long stories like 100 pages or even more and i can get the practice from my english class when the holidays is over thanks

138. 166
    August 6th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

@Gary – go for it! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

139. 167
    N., H. M.
    October 6th, 2009 at 3:22 am

I am very sorry, and very late why only now reading this post. Many of my books are not finished.

140. 168
    Drew
    October 22nd, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Hello,

I have finished (1) screenplay, but I dont have any idea on how to sell it.
    I have started a second screenplay, but am running into self-motivation problems…(this site is good for inner-motivation)…..
    I also want to write a short “How to” book..Does anyone know what an ideal length, or # of chapters will best suit this format?

Drew

141. 169
    October 28th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

@Drew – congrats! That’s awesome. Writing is often the easiest part! (Even thought it takes a lot of time and it’s definitely NOT easy!:) It’s the selling, promotion, and distribution of your work that is really tough. But with that said, just like writing, chip away at it each day and you can get there!
    1. Have a vision in your mind of your end goal and remind yourself of that goal daily.
    2. Create a loose plan of how to get there.
    3. Take action on your plan daily.
    4. Research how to promote your work. Find new ways and work them into your plan.
    5. Mix it up between online promotion, offline promotion and often the most important: face to face promotion. Network like crazy!!

An ebook I can recommend on promoting ebooks is “How to Launch the **** Out of Your Ebook.” This can give you great ideas to implement. I’ve used it myself.

As far as how long a “how to” book should be, that depends on what you’re teaching. Don’t worry about pages. Just make sure it is complete and also concise. That would be my advice.

Good luck and let us know WHEN you sell your screenplay!!!!!!!

142. 170
    jean
    November 3rd, 2009 at 3:31 pm

this is not the way to write books.
    you will write a book because you will enjoy , you don’t calculate how many hours you’ll spend writing you just do it and you don’t write in your spare time because you will not have spare time, you will write because you love to write .
    if you will use the ideeas the dude presented you will write a shitty book and you can be the next sandra brown

143. 171
    December 8th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

@Jean – interesting comment. I think both ways can work – the inspired “just do it” approach as well as the thought-out, planned approach. Wishing you well.

144. 172
    December 8th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

@Drew – Congrats on finishing a screenplay! That’s awesome. Do you belong to any writers groups?

Here’s a a good book on how to sell a screenplay: How to Sell Your Screenplay: A Realistic Guide to Getting a Television or Film Deal

For a “how-to” book, the number of chapters is only limited by the amount of info needed to teach your info. I would recommend:
    Intro chapter – what this book covers
    middle chapters – one for each of the major steps in “how to” do the thing you’re teaching
    Conclusion chapter – summary of the basics
    Appendices – any cheat sheets or such to help people get the task done more easily.

Good luck! Let us know more about your progress!

145. 173
    Madhuri
    December 18th, 2009 at 4:36 am

I need to write up on the theme my college life an need some help to write 2 pages of write up

146. 175
    Drew
    December 24th, 2009 at 6:26 pm

@agentscully

Thank you for the advice/ words of wisdom.
    To answer your question, No, I dont belong to any writers groups. However,I did submit my screenplay to the writers guild because I was told that would protect it. (Like being copywrited) My current “How To” book is progressing slowly, but is making progress. If anyone out there is good at marketing, please contact me – maybe we can work something out.

Thanks,
    Drew

147. 176
    December 31st, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Goodluck Drew! Let us know when you sell it!

148. 177
    Anna
    February 22nd, 2010 at 12:12 am

I am quite young (recently 13) and have started writing a bit. I just wondered if there are any tips to making the basic plot of the story. I’m getting desprate! None of my friends like writing so all tips are apreciated!

149. 178
    Lil' Demon
    May 1st, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Thanks for the advice, it really helped with my book! Inspiration is a big thing for me. For example my horse, Dylan is one, he helps me get new ideas and makes the whole writing process easier and funner.

150. 179
    simone
    June 10th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

i’ve been writing a lot of books like there all fantasy books but when i get started i dont know how to finish it like i have a lot of ideas aswell but when i get writing them i dont no wat to do!!!! please help!!! ;)

151. 180
    June 16th, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I would suggest signing up for a local writing class to get some one on one tutoring. Also you could try joining a writers group to get some feedback on your work. Best wishes on your writing.

152. 181
    August 22nd, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Hi Simone – find a local writers group and or sign up for a basic writing course that specializes in teaching the kind of writing you are doing whether it is fiction or non-fiction. Good luck!

153. 182
    August 22nd, 2010 at 9:00 pm

@Lil’Demon – congrat! Keep at it!

154. 183
    Bert
    August 23rd, 2010 at 9:48 am

@ Simone
    A fantasy book is different from a nonfiction book in that a conclusion is necessary. To get you in the right direction, we have to go back to the basics: Topic, detail, conclusion. What you have to do, you have to make an outline of what you want to write about, try to make every following chapter related to the previous chapter. To do that, make a list of details you want to include in chapter one, then write the draft. Do that for the following chapters, and make sure each chapter is related to the next. Happy writing!

155. 184
    cindy
    September 29th, 2010 at 2:24 pm

i’ve started writing my novel about 5 months ago but now it seems like i’m stuck on the chapter prio to the last one. but this website helped me a lt, it made see how lazy i have been and how much loosing commitment to my book cost me. i’m going to finish my book now by staying commited and demoted to it….thank you guys

156. 185
    Richmond Ofori
    October 1st, 2010 at 9:42 pm

This a advice I could not even pay to get. Thank you. Actually I would need your help in getting my children’s story book started and finished. How can you help me?

157. 186
    Mr.Manonera
    November 6th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

For me bloging is the same way as writting.My english spelling and grammer is not the best talent i have so i think that i will jump over to write a book.But anyway still useful stuuff about writing a book.You give me inspiration:-)

158. 187
    November 14th, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Mr. Manonera – keep on keeping on!

159. 190
    vickyyy
    December 8th, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I’m inspired by someone and im trying to make a book out of that…everyone sayd im good at writing and my grades always hit the top
    but the fact is im 14 and sometimes its not easy to get involved in something
    the post really helped but im not sure i can publish cz the fact is that im too young maybe!i definetely enjoyed reading this page and every detail impressed me
    but 60 days?? im not sure i can! HELPP!!!

160. 191
    December 12th, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Vickyyy- Take it slow and steady. Start on day one and keep working on it every day. You’ll be amazed. Seriously take it one day at a time and you will get there. I know it sounds simple, but it does work. Trust it and try it.

161. 192
    December 19th, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Anna – sorry for the late reply.

For help with plot – go to the “snowflake” website. Excellent free help there on plotting guidance.

162. 193
    Mara
    January 1st, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Hi,

I think you are a fabulous person for sharing this information. Other people would charge for this. Thank you.

Mara

163. 194
    January 3rd, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Thanks Mara! Hope it is helpful to YOU! Visit again, please!

164. 195
    Cindy
    January 24th, 2011 at 1:17 am

Hi i was wondering about something i have writen a few books nothing finished but working on them my biggest problem is after i reread it myself i dont like it and throw it away . my previous book i am writing i let a friend read it and he loves it cant wait to see how it ends . what is your advice about being your own worst critic. thanks for listening or reading

165. 196
    jasmin
    March 25th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

thanks you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much for sharing!
    i love coming up with ideas to write a book but its takes me more than a year to finish it.

Jasmin

166. 197
    vincent
    April 4th, 2011 at 5:26 am

the world is such a greate place to live on.God bless to inventor of this site and keep on helping many young upcoming writers. it has also helped me alot.im working on writing a book based on my own life experiences< my experiences are such drama and i hope everyone gets time to read my book.
    amen
    vincent. M

167. 198
    April 4th, 2011 at 9:27 pm

@Vincent M – Thank you for your kind words. And congratulations on your writing. Wishing you much success!

168. 199
    daab
    May 20th, 2011 at 5:00 am

I’m gonna start writing a book today :D
    Wish me my friends :)

169. 200
    LaNeisha
    June 24th, 2011 at 10:26 pm

this is very helpful. I’m on my 57th page, but I’ve been working on it for a while now. I started last year. It’s going very good. I’ve let my family read what I’ve so far done and they enjoy it! I prefer the typing method throughout the whole session of writing, it’s easier for me to do. Plus, I’m a fast typer. I stopped for about six to seven months though, but I’m getting it done. Thank you!!

170. 201
    July 3rd, 2011 at 7:55 pm

LaNeisha -Awesome! Keep going! Let us know when you are published! You can do it!

171. 202
    Kristin
    August 12th, 2011 at 9:17 am

Very helpful website…..I love to write and always said that I would love to write a book someday but I have not the slightest idea how to go about it. I want to write to children more then anything else. But…I have not had any time to pursue this. I am hoping to try and write some of my ideas down and expand on them and maybe start a blog and see what happens. Thanks for all your insight!

172. 203
    August 14th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

You can do it!! Wishing you all the best, Kristin! Let us know how it goes!!

173. 204
    becky
    August 15th, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Can you make any money at this??

174. 205
    August 16th, 2011 at 3:19 pm

@Becky – with enough work and determination, yes. It’s like getting a heavy item rolling. There’s more work in the beginning, but once it gets rolling it takes less effort to keep going.

175. 206
    September 26th, 2011 at 10:32 am

@Cindy – my apologies for the very late reply. My advice on being your own worst critic is to find someone who knows writing, who is honest but also encouraging. Get their input. Follow the constructive advice and BELIEVE the encouragement they give you. You can find someone like this through a local writing course or writing group. Keep searching until you find a good mentor like that. Keep working on your writing. Stick with it! You can do it!

176. 207
    Jovan
    October 7th, 2011 at 6:13 am

I enjoyed this article as well. I will try to write a book that is about some of the things in my life but at the same time is a novel.

I know this is random but if anyone has considered joining the navy my website is just about that! http:/www.jrockalot.com

177. 210
    Grace
    January 24th, 2012 at 9:55 am

The hardest thing about writing is getting it done. I always have that extreme adrenaline to start but gets a lot of work to get it done. I came across a video that relates also to your topic about how to write a book. It’s something worth watching really.

178. 211
    Kerri Bendzsel
    May 25th, 2012 at 12:44 am

Thanks! This helped me a lot and Im sure I will have the book Im writing done by the end of the summer. And sure to have my trilogy done by next summer! I love to write and write about 6 pages a day. I cant stop.

179. 212
    June 5th, 2012 at 10:36 am

Wow Kerri!
    That’s amazing! When you have something online, please come back and share it with us!

180. 213
    domain registration yahoo
    June 20th, 2012 at 1:30 am

Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up
    losing many months of hard work due to no data backup.

Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

181. 214
    June 20th, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Re: hackers
    Just keep your wordpress updated on the latest version and keep your passwords difficult and change them often. Also you could try using Sucuri monitor. They are good.

182. 215
    DJ
    August 16th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

This information has been SO helpful! What do you do when you are a week into developing your book and you get the idea for another book that you think would be better, but is the polar opposite of the book you are currently working on? Drop the first one and commit to the second, or put the second on the back-burner and finish the first?

183. 216
    August 16th, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hi DJ,
    That is such a great question! Here’s what I think although I don’t think there’s any “right” answer.

If in the course of developing your first book idea you come up with a second, but Better, idea, then I think you should go with the second idea. I would view the work you put into the first idea as the path that got you to the 2nd and Better idea.

Life is short. Go for the good stuff.

If you find yourself continually coming up with “better” ideas, it will probably be best to keep a notebook with all those ideas to work through later.

Unless an idea is massively better than your 2nd idea, then stick with that and finish it. You’ll have time for more books in the future. Finishing a book will give you great motivation to write the next!

Please check back and let me know about your progress!

And thank you for letting me know that this article was so helpful to you! I’m so glad!

184. 218
    wordpress themes for magazines
    January 18th, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful article. Thank you
    for supplying this info.

185. 219
    event and party planning software
    February 8th, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.

I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information.
    Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly return.

186. 220
    Glen
    June 17th, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I loved reading this little article. Someone once said to me a book with 1000 pages starts with a single word. That’s all you need to do, just start writing.

What helps me tremendously when I begin writing, whether it be an article or book, is write an outline before you start your book. By having a chapter by chapter outline, you basically know whats on every page of your book before it’s even written.
    It doesn’t have to be mind-blowing, just a few short sentences of what you want in each chapter and then build from there.

187. 221
    Shak
    July 5th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Thanks a bunch! This was helpful. I came across it accidentily as I was searching for the answer to something else. I am writing my first book & it is nonfiction. I have started in spite of not knowing all I need to know & am gaining more confidence along the way. There is so much info out there that it gets overwhelming & I get stuck on me needing to know the process. I was originally trying to find out how many pages do a chapter contain on an average if your writing on Word document? I know there is probably no specific answer but I just want to make sure the chapters are not too short.

188. 222
    Shak
    July 5th, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I prefer my answer via email. Thanks!

189. 223
    July 5th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

@Shak -This is a tough question to answer exactly. It should be long enough to make something happen and short enough that it doesn’t become a “run-on” chapter. A lot of this is by feel. My suggestion is to just write your story and worry about dividing it into chapters later. It will become more obvious then. I hope this helps.

Trackbacks

1. Rumor Roundup: Seven iPhone Rumors — A Book Readers blog
  2. Anonymous
  3. How To Write A Book In 60 Days - lifehack.org
  4. Dave Copeland » Blog Archive » How to dispel writing myths in 60 seconds or less
  5. How To Write A Book In 60 Days
  6. links for 2007-06-20 « Dark Corner of the Empty Head
  7. tinder.tv » Blog Archive » Tips zum Schreiben
  8. links for 2007-06-20 « Yet another blog
  9. Nose to the Grindstone : Sophisticat
  10. links for 2007-06-20 « toonz
  11. links for 2007-06-21 « Mike Does Tech
  12. links for 2007-06-21 « antifaust
  13. 如何写一本å°?说 » 生活帮-LifeBang
  14. Break These Rules for Success!
  15. The Two F-Words You Should Love - lifehack.org
  16. So You Want to Be a Writer
  17. Overcome Procrastination Once and For All | Remember, don't forget...
  18. Smart Questions That Will Super Charge Your Life - lifehack.org
  19. Working Parent Survival Tips - Part 1 - eMoms at Home - The Internet Home Business Blog for Moms & Dads
  20. Skype Cracks » Blog Archive » Diet Tips & More for a Healthy and Trim Body
  21. Self Improvement, Productivity, and Motivation :: Pick the Brain Blog
  22. How to Write Faster, Better, and Easier | Pick the Brain
  23. How to Write Faster, Better, and Easier | Pick the Brain
  24. DrKENFAN » Do you Spend Too Much Time Online?
  25. Fundstücke #10-2007 | Blogatelier
  26. My A is finally into G « Living in the Slow Lane
  27. How Long Does it Take To Write a Book - Successful Reads
  28. Counting Down the Days to June 12th « Exploring The Quarterlife Crisis
  29. Writing Pains « thirdmuse
  30. 50 Ways to Get Your Site Noticed « PravInfotech
  31. Ideas: 50 Ways to Get Your Site Noticed - gigaspartan
  32. 50 Ways to Get Your Site Noticed · Marwan Ansari
  33. My Stream » 50 Ways to Get Your Site Noticed
  34. A Game That Will Improve Any Relationship | Life Learning Today

I want to hear what YOU have to say!

blank