Go Organic!

Everyone wants to go organic these days, from food to clothes. And why? Simple. So we won’t get poisoned by all the dread chemicals being used in our world today.

So along those lines, I present to you here today, The Top 25 Home Remedies, where you can find natural cures for what ails you. Of course if you have an serious condition, seek your doctor’s advice first.

NaturalNature

Top Natural Home Remedies

1. ACNE: Pound orange peel with water on a stone and apply to skin. Also rubbing raw garlic on the skin can cure the toughest of acne. Garlic has antibacterial properties that make this work. More ACNE cures
  2. ARTHRITIS: Rub castor oil into sore joints both morning and night. Results may take 1-4 days. More Arthritis remedies
  3. COLD SORES: Rubbing ice cubes can lesson symptoms. Witch hazel applied with a damp cloth will provide relief. Diet: avoid chocolate during outbreak as this lowers immune system. Eat lots of green vegetables for the vitamins and minerals. Take some Lecithin to hasten the healing process. More on Cold Sores.
  4. COMMON COLD: Drink the juice of 1 lemon mixed with a cup of water (room temp or warm) 1-2 times daily. Drink garlic soup prepared by boiling 3-4 cloves of garlic in one cup of water. Garlic has antiseptic properties as well as other healing properties. More on Common Cold remedies.
  5. CONSTIPATION: 8 ounces of apple juice mixed with 1 level Tablespoon of ground flaxseed or bran. 1-2 times daily. More on Constipation remedies.
  6. DANDRUFF: Use 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice when doing your final rinse when washing your hair. Will leave hair shiny and prevents dandruff. More on Dandruff remedies.
  7. ECZEMA: Mix a paste of 1 tsp Camphor and 1 tsp sandalwood paste on the rash. You can also try using petroleum jelly or A&D baby ointment. This will seal the skin and allow it to heal. Diet: You can try eliminating foods that you may be allergic to such as wheat and dairy. Food allergies can trigger Eczema. More on Eczema remedies.
  8. FLATULENCE OR GAS: “Mix 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powder with a pinch of asafoetida and a pinch of rock salt in a cup of warm water. Drink this concoction to get relief from gas.” More on Gas remedies.
  9. GOUT: Eat 8-10 cherries daily as a preventative measure against an attack. During and attack eat 10-15 cherries daily to reduce the length and pain of the attack. More on Gout remedies.
  10. HANGOVER: Drink as much water as you can before going to sleep and upon waking. Eating when drinking alcohol will slow down the absorption in your blood stream making its affects lessened. Take vitamin C to speed up breakdown of the alcohol. More Hangover remedies.
  11. HAY FEVER: Line inside of nose with a little petroleum jelly. Boil chamomile tea and inhale the steam. More Hay Fever remedies.
  12. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE: Garlic, lemon, grapefruit and watermelon (including the roasted seed) are good to ingest. They all are known to help with lowering blood pressure via differing ways such as dilating the blood vessels. More on High Blood Pressure remedies.
  13. HIGH CHOLESTEROL: “Lecithin, also a fatty food substance and the most abundant of the phospholipids, is beneficial in case of increase in cholesterol level. It has the ability to break up cholesterol into small particles which can be easily handled by the system. With sufficient intake of lecithin, cholesterol cannot build up against the walls of the arteries and veins. Lecithin also increases the production of bile acids made from cholesterol, thereby reducing its amount in the blood, Egg yolk, vegetable oils, wholegrain cereals, soyabeans, and unpasturised milk are rich sources of lecithin. The cells of the body are also capable of synthesizing it as needed, if several of the B vitamins are present.” More on High Cholesterol remedies.
  14. INDIGESTION: Drink either or both mint tea and chamomile tea frequently to ease stomach upset. More on Indigestion remedies.
  15. INSOMNIA: Drink warm milk and honey before bedtime. Massaging some of this milk into the soles of your feet can help too. Also try a warm bath before bedtime. Write down worries on notepad next to your bed so you can “leave them behind” and go to sleep. More Insomnia remedies.
  16. ITCHING: Any of these are known to soothe itching: witch hazel, vick’s vapor rub, aloe vera, and ice. More Itch remedies.
  17. LEG CRAMPS: Drink enough water daily to avoid dehydration which can cause cramps. Also make sure you get enough potassium with foods like bananas, avacadoes, fish, nuts, blackstrap molasses, and carrot juice. More Leg Cramp remedies.
  18. LICE. The best remedy is to lather mayonaise all over the entire scalp and hair. (The mayonaise will suffocate the lice and loosen the eggs from the hair shaft.) Cover with either a shower cap or a plastic grocery bag and tie around the forehead. Leave on for 3 hours. Shampoo hair. There will still be mayo and a greasy feeling to the hair. Ths is ok. Next, carefully and meticulously comb the hair in layers with a nit comb. Then shampoo again to get rid of the remaining greasy mayonaise residue. This treatment will work better than the lice-killing shampoo. Of course you’ll also need to launder everything the child’s head came in contact with. Also vacuum things like couches and car seats. For things that can’t be laundered, such as stuffed animals, you can put them in an airtight ziplock bag and leave for 2 weeks. (Updated July 22, 2007.)
  19. MOSQUITOES: Take one 100 mg B1 tablet every day to repel mosquitoes. Effectiveness begins immediately. The most effective topical remedy is Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Repellent. It “provided 120.1 minutes of mosquito protection, more than a repellent with a low concentration of the chemical DEET.” For more remedies go to The FrugalLife and About.com. (Updated July 22, 2007.)
  20. NAIL FUNGUS: Clip the nail back as far as possible. Rub Vick’s Vapor Rub onto the nail and surrounding skin 2 times a day. Results can take a month or more. Can also be used for fungal infections of the skin too. This can take one week to work.
  21. NAUSEA: Fresh ginger in tea will ease an upset stomach. More on Nasea remedies.
  22. PRE MENSTRUAL SYNDROME (PMS): Take GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid) daily. This is obtained from vegetables such as blackcurrant seed and evening primrose. Take a 1000 mg capsule 1-3 times daily. This really helps with lowering PMS symptoms. Highly recommended. More PMS remedies.
  23. URINARY TRACT INFECTION OR CYSTITIS: Avoid aspartame, increase vitamin C intake and drink cranberry juice frequently during the day. Also avoid chocolate and caffienne. More Cystitis remedies.
  24. WRINKLES: There are many natural things you can do. First is to make sure you have a healthy diet rich in vegetable and fruits. Just as important is proper hydration. Drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water or clear liquids daily. Topically you can apply a mask of raw egg whites to your face. Allow to dry and then rinse with room temperature water. Your face will feel very smooth. For problem areas you can massage coconut oil every night before bed. Here are many more Wrinkle remedies.
  25. YEAST INFECTION: The live cultures in yogurt are a known cure for yeast. This works both by ingesting the yogurt or topical application. More on Yeast Infection remedies.
  26. SNORING: Many things can help such as side-sleeping, quitting smoking, losing weight if needed, getting allergies under control, using a humidifier, or these exercizes found at DentalGentleCare: “Tongue and throat exercises, if practiced diligently over a period of time, may be of great benefit in reducing snoring. Repeat each of the following exercises 5 times each, twice daily:
    • 1) Slowly open and close your mouth to its full extent, making sure the lips meet when closing.
      2) Pucker your lips (as if about to kiss). Hold for a count of 10. Relax.
      3) Spread your lips into a big, exaggerated smile. Hold. Relax.
      4) Mix Exercises 2 & 3: Pucker-Hold-Smile-Hold.
      5) Try to pucker with your mouth wide open, without closing your jaws together. Hold & relax.
      6) Close your lips and press them tightly together.
      7)Close your lips firmly, then make a ‘slurping’ noise, as if sipping a drink.
      8) Open your mouth and stick out your tongue. Be sure your tongue comes straight out of your mouth and doesn’t go off the side. Hold, relax and repeat several times. Work toward sticking your tongue out farther each day, but still pointing straight ahead.
      9) Stick out your tongue and move it slowly from corner to corner of your lips. Hold in each corner, relax and repeat several times. Be sure your tongue actually touches each corner each time.
      10) Stick out your tongue and try to reach your chin with the tongue tip. Hold at the farthest extension.
      11) Stick out your tongue and try to touch your nose with the tongue tip. Hold at farthest extension.
      12) Stick out your tongue. Hold a spoon upright against the tip of your extended tongue and try to push it away while your hand holds the spoon in place.
      13) Repeatedly stick your tongue in and out as fast as you can.
      14) Flick your tongue from corner to corner as quickly as you can.
      15) Move tongue all around your lips in a circle as quickly as you can, making sure you stay in constant contact.
      16) Open and close mouth as quickly as you can, making sure your lips close each time. 17) Say ‘Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma’ as quickly as possible, ensuring there’s an ‘em’ and an ‘ah’ sound each time.
      18) Repeat with ‘La-La-La-La.’
      19) Repeat with ‘Ka-Ka-Ka-Ka’ as quickly and accurately as you can.
      20) Repeat with ‘Kala-Kala-Kala-Kala.’
      21) Gargle loudly with warm water.
      22) Sing through the vowel sounds (A-E-I-O-U) as loudly as you can (or dare). Songs like ‘Old McDonald Had a Farm’ are also good.”

NaturalNature

Many of these remedies came from Home Remedies For You. They have an extensive listing of additional ailments you can check out. And no product sales! Worth a try if you don’t have a serious condition, otherwise you should consult your doctor first.

What are your favorite natural home remedy? All comments big and small are very welcomed!

If you found this post valuable, please SHARE THIS below with a Stumble or Delicious bookmark. Votes are always appreciated!

If you want to Support Life Learning Today, you can visit one of my sponsors, make a donation, or make a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Comments

1. 1
    Angies Organic Reviews
    July 21st, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Hello, what a world of helpful information. Although under the “Mosquitoes” remedy you don’t mention what it is to take 7.5 mg of…unless it’s listed in another spot. I would love to know what it is as I live in Florida and mosquitoes seem to enjoy retirement here as well :)

2. 2
    agentsully
    July 22nd, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Hi Angie,
    I can’t believe I missed that! Thanks for pointing that out. I have updated the mosquito one. And I also found the best topical remedy too. It is a product but it is natural. Good luck. Please let me know how it goes for you!

3. 3
    brad
    July 30th, 2007 at 12:20 am

Very nice list. Bookmarked for later use.

4. 4
    Oyunlar
    August 6th, 2007 at 4:26 am

I loved the list as well. I am going to use the Mosquito technique right now!

5. 5
    agentsully
    August 6th, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Hi again Oyunlar! Glad you found this list helpful! Hope all is well for you!

6. 6
    thebluestbutterfly
    August 16th, 2007 at 2:24 am

What a long list. :-)

I Stumbled this. :-)

7. 7
    Barbara
    August 16th, 2007 at 5:05 pm

This is information I’ve been looking for–don’t care much for standard medicine-I believe in the natural remedies. Will bookmark for reference–Thanks!!

8. 8
    agentsully
    August 17th, 2007 at 11:48 am

Blues butterfly – Thanks a ton!

Barbara – glad you found it valuable! I’ve tried many of these and they do work!

9. 9
    ivana
    September 15th, 2007 at 3:21 am

i stumbled this too. whoo hoo!

10. 10
    Barry Wah Lee
    October 2nd, 2007 at 3:55 am

I have been experimenting with sniffing one nose at a time, a hot water mix with baking soda,transfer factor- couple of sprays,and sometimes a bit of Xylitol.do you know how to do this?Sniff up one nostril and then blow out the mouth unless very blocked, and then just back out that nostril.

11. 11
    Jerad Kaliher
    October 11th, 2007 at 2:01 am

I don’t have too much experience with the others but the remedy for a hangover rang true to me. I usually also take an aspirin after drinking two bottles of water and then hit the sack. Works like a charm.

12. 12
    agentsully
    October 16th, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Ivana, Barry and Jerad – thanks a ton for your comments!

13. 13
    Lisa
    October 20th, 2007 at 12:44 am

I found some very helpful ideas here. I especially think the one for arthritis – the castor oil – might help me.

14. 14
    mary land
    November 7th, 2007 at 4:42 pm

It is certainly more healthy to eat some orange than those C Vitamin medicines.People are very lazy so they consume corn-flakes etc and this increases obesity.

15. 15
    agentsully
    November 10th, 2007 at 10:28 pm

Lisa – so glad you found good info here. Thanks for letting me know!

Mary land – you’re so right that getting your vitamins from food is much more healthy. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

16. 16
    Darrin
    February 6th, 2008 at 3:06 am

Wow! Does this really work? “ACNE: Pound orange peel with water on a stone and apply to skin. Also rubbing raw garlic on the skin can cure the toughest of acne. Garlic has antibacterial properties that make this work.”

I’ve had bad skin my whole life. Will give a try!

17. 17
    enzyme scaredy cat
    February 15th, 2008 at 7:03 am

My girlfriend usually gets me on the chamomile tea when Ihave indigestion. I’ll have to tell her about ginger and flatulence – I’ll be eating the stuff by the bucket load if she has anything to do with it.

18. 18
    mosquito protection
    March 12th, 2008 at 3:34 pm

ive always used a gardening hat to keep the mosquitos out of my face… i didnt know there was a tablet u could take that seems to be that effective. thanx you!
    -Mary

19. 19
    enzyme scaredy cat
    March 14th, 2008 at 10:34 am

The Mozzies love me so much I don’t think anything will work for me. Out in Malaysia a few years ago I had five different kinds of repellant with me – what they had in common was that none of them worked.

20. 20
    Hannah
    March 14th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Bookmarked! :)

All really helpful, the Eczema is a great tip which I’ve been using on my son for quite a long time, but it is all about diet.

Wearing cotton helps a lot as well and as mentioned a good diet

Hannah

x

21. 21
    Get Better Sleep
    March 18th, 2008 at 2:42 am

Your remedies for insomnia sound familiar… I think i’ve seen something similar on this sleep disorder blog.

The part about the milk massage is new though.

22. 22
    Gabriela
    March 25th, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Beautiful List!!!!

I’ll sure try some of your suggestions herein…

Keep up the good work,
    Gabriela Wilson

23. 23
    Daily Vitamins
    April 7th, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Very nice home remedy guide. Thanks for the resources.

24. 24
    Wrinkle Cream Reviews
    April 14th, 2008 at 4:58 am

One thing I’d like to recommend is baking soda as a deodorant. So much better than regular deodorant! There are different ways of using it, but I just mix some bs with some water and then scrub it under my arms and let it dry.

25. 25
    john
    April 21st, 2008 at 4:25 am

Snoring is my big problem. It’s very ashamed on me when I have to travel and sleep with my roommate. Thanks for this post, it will let me exercise my tongue and throat.

26. 26
    Acne Guru
    April 27th, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Use toothpaste for pimples, it dries them out, and tea tree oil for he skin works wonders

27. 27
    Charolastra
    April 29th, 2008 at 4:23 pm

excellent list you have here! but off course, just like what you said, we should know when to seek the advice of the experts! home remedies are great, but there are lots to consider(like tests for allergic reaction, etc)…
    as with treating acne, you can also try herbal treatments, these should not be hard to find: black cohosh, primrose, wild yam and red clover. these herbs provide a balance of estrogen and androgen. something that you should be concerned about because when there is an excess in androgen in your body, this usually causes an over production of sebum that results to blocked pores.. and we all know what blocked pores lead to…

28. 28
    agentsully
    April 30th, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Hi Acne Guru – sounds like it can’t hurt to try those ideas! Thanks for sharing!

29. 29
    Herbal Pain Relief Blog
    August 3rd, 2008 at 2:57 am

What a great list to refer to. I, unfortunately, have to deal with snoring and high blood pressure. I’ve tried so many different things to lower my BP but ended up taking meds because my MD says it’s more genetic than anything else. The snoring I’ve gotten control over by losing some weight.

30. 30
    Fiona - SAHM of a healthy family
    August 4th, 2008 at 11:29 pm

hi

I’m becoming addicted to your site. this is very helpful tips specially the remedies for the leg cramps for me and snoring for my husband.

Thanks

31. 31
    adam hangover remedy
    August 7th, 2008 at 2:08 am

homeopathic remedies are the way to go.

32. 32
    chemical free soap
    August 29th, 2008 at 7:58 am

I think one of the main things that causes skin conditions such as Eczema is the chemicals that people put in soaps. Here is a list of all the chemicals that go into commercial soaps and other bodycare products:

33. 33
    Home Remedies
    September 24th, 2008 at 1:31 am

One of the many reasons why natural remedies come so highly rated and recommend is because of all of their benefits. One of those benefits or plus side is ease of finding. Unfortunately, many individuals do not know where to look when looking to find information on a natural remedy. Many are actually surprised when they learn just how easy it is.

Thanks for your post.

34. 34
    Remedies For Snoring
    October 2nd, 2008 at 9:06 pm

That’s a great article! I never knew that there were so many remedies for snoring. i need to use it for my husband.

35. 35
    Home Remedies For Boils
    January 7th, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Get the Answers You’re Looking For. Home remedy for boils. Hot, Swollen, Painful Boils Fast And Effective Treatment.. Information on Home Remedies For Boils and how to treat boils

36. 36
    B. Maricha
    March 31st, 2009 at 12:57 am

Great list! I wanted to add that for the lice treatment – vaseline will work even better than mayonaisse. Of course you will want to shampoo with Dawn dishwashing soap afterwards to strip off the petroleum. Little buggers will suffocate quickly!

37. 37
    Gemma
    April 17th, 2009 at 5:30 am

Another excellent natural mosquito repellent is lavender oil – mix a few drops with a base oil such as sweet almond and massage into skin before dressing. Mosquitos hate the smell of lavender! I used this method whilst backpacking around the world and during a 7month period I was only bitten once.

Another good tip is eating plenty of garlic as the body excretes this through the skin and is another smell that repels mosquitos.

38. 38
    Erin
    April 24th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

let’s hope that the snoring works for my husband so i can actually get some sleep. thanks so much for this interesting article.

39. 39
    agentsully
    May 16th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

@Gemma – thanks for your additions~!

40. 40
    EllaD
    May 25th, 2009 at 10:57 pm

thank you for this extensive list of home remedies

For indigestion i usually drink ginger root tea, for some reason it eases my tummy discomfort.

For The common cold, i like to use peppermint and eucalyptus oil, i find that they clear my nose.

41. 41
    Rich
    September 30th, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Very helpful information especially the mosquito remedy. I live in Illinois so our season is finally over but I will try you remedies next season and report back. Bookmarked for further research. Great Info.

42. 42
    shimb
    November 14th, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Wow, this is a world of its own but nice to know that there are such things. Thank you

43. 43
    Manage Cholesterol
    January 5th, 2010 at 1:14 am

Wow what an amazing list. Two things I found really interesting were that Vitamin C helps with the hangover!? and the second tip that egg yolk contains Lecithin which helps break down cholesterol. Generally people think that egg yolk is really bad and raises cholesterol. Well don’t want to get in those details here. Anyways thanks for sharing the list.

44. 44
    Natural Remedies
    March 14th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I love That ! Simply Brilliant ! Most of things can we be well resolven by these methods !

45. 45
    Natural Home Remedies
    April 14th, 2010 at 6:23 am

Most of the home remedies for simple and common ailments could be just drinking hot soup, warm water with lemon and ginger or even just lying down and breathing deeply. Some of these alternative treatment may also include herbal recipes with ingredients such as basil, ginger, chamomile, turmeric leaves. These cures are so simple and yet very effective.

46. 47
    Tony S
    August 31st, 2010 at 10:23 am

I’m a 3 time cancer survivor and my oncologist suggested I go the natural cures rout, and it’s sure made a big difference. I definitely would recommend that anyone give the natural cures way a try. Plus I have found that going organic has made me feel a great deal better also.

47. 48
    PTAs
    March 17th, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I have been using the egg whites for wrinkles and it makes my skin very smooth. Lets see if it can help me get rid of some wrinkles.

48. 49
    bipap machines
    March 21st, 2011 at 12:02 am

I’ve already been considering this more and doing a bit of study which has been pretty useful, However I thought anti snoring had been mostly an “overweight” situation.

49. 50
    rosacea
    March 22nd, 2011 at 7:10 pm

What a wealth of information! I love ginger for all kinds of indigestion issues and needless to say, I’m a big fan of all natural treatments.

Thank you for posting this.

50. 51
    home remedies hemorrhoids
    April 23rd, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I love the name of your blog Life learning is awesome!
    I read through your home remedies but did not see anything for hemorrhoids, if you need a contributing author let me know.
    Also, B1 is a great vitamin for headaches and hangovers.

51. 52
    Hemorrhoids best cure
    June 8th, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Thanks for the information…very helpful. I’m always tring to learn more about this so I’m always searching for useful info. thanks again!

52. 53
    AgentSully
    August 14th, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Hi Home Remedies – please feel free to share some of your ideas on that topic. It’s important! :-)

53. 54
    hemorrhoids home remedy
    August 14th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

great resource of info love the wrinkle remedy

54. 55
    Steve
    October 4th, 2011 at 4:11 am

Hi,

I have found a handful of almonds every day good for my blood pressure and I have grown to love them – they are delicious roasted.

I was on BP tablets, but with some exercise and the almonds I have been able to get of medication. I try and convince myself that I love exercise also but it is a bit like the almonds – after exercise it feels like I have been roasted!

55. 56
    AgentSully
    October 6th, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for sharing Steve!

56. 57
    menstrual cramps
    November 8th, 2011 at 11:28 am

nice share,anything for hemorrhoids

57. 58
    Home remedies for piles
    June 18th, 2012 at 4:13 am

Some great tip there. I never knew you could use mayo for lice, so thanks for that.

My tip would be for anyone suffering from piles to use Aloe Vera gel straight from the plant as a topical relief. It can be very soothing.

58. 59
    AgentSully
    June 20th, 2012 at 11:41 am

Home Remedies – thanks for the tip.

Trackbacks

1. What Are Natural Remedies? | Your Natural Remedies

I want to hear what YOU have to say!

blank