Did You Know?, Healthy Living, How To April 27th, 2007
Everyone wants to go organic these days, from food to clothes. And why? Simple. So we won’t get poisoned by all the dread chemicals being used in our world today.
So along those lines, I present to you here today, The Top 25 Home Remedies, where you can find natural cures for what ails you. Of course if you have an serious condition, seek your doctor’s advice first.
Top Natural Home Remedies
- ACNE: Pound orange peel with water on a stone and apply to skin. Also rubbing raw garlic on the skin can cure the toughest of acne. Garlic has antibacterial properties that make this work. More ACNE cures
- ARTHRITIS: Rub castor oil into sore joints both morning and night. Results may take 1-4 days. More Arthritis remedies
- COLD SORES: Rubbing ice cubes can lesson symptoms. Witch hazel applied with a damp cloth will provide relief. Diet: avoid chocolate during outbreak as this lowers immune system. Eat lots of green vegetables for the vitamins and minerals. Take some Lecithin to hasten the healing process. More on Cold Sores.
- COMMON COLD: Drink the juice of 1 lemon mixed with a cup of water (room temp or warm) 1-2 times daily. Drink garlic soup prepared by boiling 3-4 cloves of garlic in one cup of water. Garlic has antiseptic properties as well as other healing properties. More on Common Cold remedies.
- CONSTIPATION: 8 ounces of apple juice mixed with 1 level Tablespoon of ground flaxseed or bran. 1-2 times daily. More on Constipation remedies.
- DANDRUFF: Use 1 teaspoon of fresh lime juice when doing your final rinse when washing your hair. Will leave hair shiny and prevents dandruff. More on Dandruff remedies.
- ECZEMA: Mix a paste of 1 tsp Camphor and 1 tsp sandalwood paste on the rash. You can also try using petroleum jelly or A&D baby ointment. This will seal the skin and allow it to heal. Diet: You can try eliminating foods that you may be allergic to such as wheat and dairy. Food allergies can trigger Eczema. More on Eczema remedies.
- FLATULENCE OR GAS: “Mix 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powder with a pinch of asafoetida and a pinch of rock salt in a cup of warm water. Drink this concoction to get relief from gas.” More on Gas remedies.
- GOUT: Eat 8-10 cherries daily as a preventative measure against an attack. During and attack eat 10-15 cherries daily to reduce the length and pain of the attack. More on Gout remedies.
- HANGOVER: Drink as much water as you can before going to sleep and upon waking. Eating when drinking alcohol will slow down the absorption in your blood stream making its affects lessened. Take vitamin C to speed up breakdown of the alcohol. More Hangover remedies.
- HAY FEVER: Line inside of nose with a little petroleum jelly. Boil chamomile tea and inhale the steam. More Hay Fever remedies.
- HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE: Garlic, lemon, grapefruit and watermelon (including the roasted seed) are good to ingest. They all are known to help with lowering blood pressure via differing ways such as dilating the blood vessels. More on High Blood Pressure remedies.
- HIGH CHOLESTEROL: “Lecithin, also a fatty food substance and the most abundant of the phospholipids, is beneficial in case of increase in cholesterol level. It has the ability to break up cholesterol into small particles which can be easily handled by the system. With sufficient intake of lecithin, cholesterol cannot build up against the walls of the arteries and veins. Lecithin also increases the production of bile acids made from cholesterol, thereby reducing its amount in the blood, Egg yolk, vegetable oils, wholegrain cereals, soyabeans, and unpasturised milk are rich sources of lecithin. The cells of the body are also capable of synthesizing it as needed, if several of the B vitamins are present.” More on High Cholesterol remedies.
- INDIGESTION: Drink either or both mint tea and chamomile tea frequently to ease stomach upset. More on Indigestion remedies.
- INSOMNIA: Drink warm milk and honey before bedtime. Massaging some of this milk into the soles of your feet can help too. Also try a warm bath before bedtime. Write down worries on notepad next to your bed so you can “leave them behind” and go to sleep. More Insomnia remedies.
- ITCHING: Any of these are known to soothe itching: witch hazel, vick’s vapor rub, aloe vera, and ice. More Itch remedies.
- LEG CRAMPS: Drink enough water daily to avoid dehydration which can cause cramps. Also make sure you get enough potassium with foods like bananas, avacadoes, fish, nuts, blackstrap molasses, and carrot juice. More Leg Cramp remedies.
- LICE. The best remedy is to lather mayonaise all over the entire scalp and hair. (The mayonaise will suffocate the lice and loosen the eggs from the hair shaft.) Cover with either a shower cap or a plastic grocery bag and tie around the forehead. Leave on for 3 hours. Shampoo hair. There will still be mayo and a greasy feeling to the hair. Ths is ok. Next, carefully and meticulously comb the hair in layers with a nit comb. Then shampoo again to get rid of the remaining greasy mayonaise residue. This treatment will work better than the lice-killing shampoo. Of course you’ll also need to launder everything the child’s head came in contact with. Also vacuum things like couches and car seats. For things that can’t be laundered, such as stuffed animals, you can put them in an airtight ziplock bag and leave for 2 weeks. (Updated July 22, 2007.)
- MOSQUITOES: Take one 100 mg B1 tablet every day to repel mosquitoes. Effectiveness begins immediately. The most effective topical remedy is Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Repellent. It “provided 120.1 minutes of mosquito protection, more than a repellent with a low concentration of the chemical DEET.” For more remedies go to The FrugalLife and About.com. (Updated July 22, 2007.)
- NAIL FUNGUS: Clip the nail back as far as possible. Rub Vick’s Vapor Rub onto the nail and surrounding skin 2 times a day. Results can take a month or more. Can also be used for fungal infections of the skin too. This can take one week to work.
- NAUSEA: Fresh ginger in tea will ease an upset stomach. More on Nasea remedies.
- PRE MENSTRUAL SYNDROME (PMS): Take GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid) daily. This is obtained from vegetables such as blackcurrant seed and evening primrose. Take a 1000 mg capsule 1-3 times daily. This really helps with lowering PMS symptoms. Highly recommended. More PMS remedies.
- URINARY TRACT INFECTION OR CYSTITIS: Avoid aspartame, increase vitamin C intake and drink cranberry juice frequently during the day. Also avoid chocolate and caffienne. More Cystitis remedies.
- WRINKLES: There are many natural things you can do. First is to make sure you have a healthy diet rich in vegetable and fruits. Just as important is proper hydration. Drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water or clear liquids daily. Topically you can apply a mask of raw egg whites to your face. Allow to dry and then rinse with room temperature water. Your face will feel very smooth. For problem areas you can massage coconut oil every night before bed. Here are many more Wrinkle remedies.
- YEAST INFECTION: The live cultures in yogurt are a known cure for yeast. This works both by ingesting the yogurt or topical application. More on Yeast Infection remedies.
- SNORING: Many things can help such as side-sleeping, quitting smoking, losing weight if needed, getting allergies under control, using a humidifier, or these exercizes found at DentalGentleCare: “Tongue and throat exercises, if practiced diligently over a period of time, may be of great benefit in reducing snoring. Repeat each of the following exercises 5 times each, twice daily:
- 1) Slowly open and close your mouth to its full extent, making sure the lips meet when closing.
2) Pucker your lips (as if about to kiss). Hold for a count of 10. Relax.
3) Spread your lips into a big, exaggerated smile. Hold. Relax.
4) Mix Exercises 2 & 3: Pucker-Hold-Smile-Hold.
5) Try to pucker with your mouth wide open, without closing your jaws together. Hold & relax.
6) Close your lips and press them tightly together.
7)Close your lips firmly, then make a ‘slurping’ noise, as if sipping a drink.
8) Open your mouth and stick out your tongue. Be sure your tongue comes straight out of your mouth and doesn’t go off the side. Hold, relax and repeat several times. Work toward sticking your tongue out farther each day, but still pointing straight ahead.
9) Stick out your tongue and move it slowly from corner to corner of your lips. Hold in each corner, relax and repeat several times. Be sure your tongue actually touches each corner each time.
10) Stick out your tongue and try to reach your chin with the tongue tip. Hold at the farthest extension.
11) Stick out your tongue and try to touch your nose with the tongue tip. Hold at farthest extension.
12) Stick out your tongue. Hold a spoon upright against the tip of your extended tongue and try to push it away while your hand holds the spoon in place.
13) Repeatedly stick your tongue in and out as fast as you can.
14) Flick your tongue from corner to corner as quickly as you can.
15) Move tongue all around your lips in a circle as quickly as you can, making sure you stay in constant contact.
16) Open and close mouth as quickly as you can, making sure your lips close each time. 17) Say ‘Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma’ as quickly as possible, ensuring there’s an ‘em’ and an ‘ah’ sound each time.
18) Repeat with ‘La-La-La-La.’
19) Repeat with ‘Ka-Ka-Ka-Ka’ as quickly and accurately as you can.
20) Repeat with ‘Kala-Kala-Kala-Kala.’
21) Gargle loudly with warm water.
22) Sing through the vowel sounds (A-E-I-O-U) as loudly as you can (or dare). Songs like ‘Old McDonald Had a Farm’ are also good.”
- 1) Slowly open and close your mouth to its full extent, making sure the lips meet when closing.
Many of these remedies came from Home Remedies For You. They have an extensive listing of additional ailments you can check out. And no product sales! Worth a try if you don’t have a serious condition, otherwise you should consult your doctor first.
What are your favorite natural home remedy? All comments big and small are very welcomed!
If you found this post valuable, please SHARE THIS below with a Stumble or Delicious bookmark. Votes are always appreciated!
If you want to Support Life Learning Today, you can visit one of my sponsors, make a donation, or make a purchase at Amazon through one of my links. Thank you!