Good Parenting Resolutions

Parent Child PlayHere are some great parenting resolutions to try. Just because it’s March doesn’t mean you can’t come up with new resolutions today!

1. No More Yelling.
    Make this a non-negotiable pledge. No matter what is happening with your child, commit to remain calm and rational. Remember that you’re the one in charge. You only lose control of the situation when you lose your cool. This practice will make you and your child much happier. (And no yelling between spouses/partners either! Children will follow the example you set. And kindness between parents makes a child feel
    secure and loved.)
  2. Get Enough Rest.
    Being a parent means being tired. It’s part of the job description. But there are many ways that you can get the rest you need to be the patient loving parent you want to be. When you get the rest you need you’ll be a better parent, but also a better friend, spouse and worker.

1. Rest your mind by doing something you enjoy like reading a novel or chatting with an old friend.
    2. Rest your body and mind by getting enough sleep, usually 8 hours is best. Make this a non-negotiable top priority.
    3. Rest your mind by taking 10-15 minutes when you feel your energy waning to close your eyes and meditate (translation: let go of your thoughts worries for this time). You will be AMAZED at how much of a lift you get from this
  3. Say No. Say no to those things that are a drain on your time. Success in life means
    achieving your priorities. What are yours? Write them down. Then when other things come into your life, (invitations, magazines, books, TV shows, new technology, surveys, etc.) if they don’t fit in with your priorities then pass on them even if they seem interesting or if you feel obligated. You are obligated to yourself and your family first.
    By passing on things that don’t fit in with your priorities, you will avoid a lot of frustration because you won’t fall behind on the things that are most important to you. Every once in a while review your priorities and the time you have allotted for each to see if you need to update them.
  1. Play with Your Children.
    This is the greatest gift you can give to your child. When you find your child asking you for the millionth time to play or talk or take them to the park, it might be time to put the chores aside and play. Even if it is for 15-20 minutes, that can really make a difference for your child. It builds their confidence, self-esteem, and creativity. If there is something you must finish, like the dinner or the dishes, involve them. It may slow you down a bit, but it’s a great time to teach and listen to them. During playtime, let the child lead. Listen, praise, dance, sing, enjoy!
  2. Tuck Your Kids into Bed. Take time out to read, count your blessings, review the highlights of the day focusing on the positive events and the learnings from difficult things. Tell them you love them, how great you think they are, and why you are proud of them. Smile and feel the joy that parents are so blessed to have. This is the reward for all your hard work! Good job, parents!

15 Responses to Good Parenting Resolutions

1. Oyunlar May 27, 2007 at 5:01 pm #

I always thought my parents pressuring me about my grades on high school led me to be non-caring about grades in university. Is this true? Should I act the same to my children? I think I won’t pressure them for anything, but it worries me a lot to cause them to be spoiled

2. AgentSully May 28, 2007 at 12:08 am #

Oyunlar -hmmm, I think focus on grades yes. Pressure, no. Spoiling no need. There is a middle ground: Praise all positive actions and results and attempts! And talk to them about why they would want to do this. Think about what is motivating to them and then find a way that grades tie into that. Be creative. Tell them you are proud of them and that you have faith in them to make the right decisions to take care of their responsibilities. Give them a stellar reputation to live up to. Good luck! You Can Do It!

3. worksheet for kids July 23, 2007 at 4:09 am #

March Resolustion 🙂 great idea..

4. Baby Toytown August 14, 2007 at 1:33 am #

Great list, I personally think the most important ones are that of spending a great deal of quality time with your little ones. They pick up and absorb most what they see and feel when they’re growing up.

If you’re searching for a great deals on baby accessories and baby furnitures, Baby Toy Town.com is a great resource for top of the line baby products. Visit them at: http://www.babytoytown.com

5. ru4real August 23, 2007 at 10:46 pm #

I like all of these suggestions, but “Say no to those things that are a drain on your time” really stands out to me. Saying no to things that drain your time and keep you from being a good parent applies to more than just your personal schedule. Many of the extra-curricular activities children are involved in steal away from what should be time spent together as a family, as well.

6. agentsully August 24, 2007 at 11:34 am #

RU4Real – thanks for that! Good addition!

7. Indian Moms December 15, 2007 at 5:39 am #

Gr8 Post. Giving time to kids is crucial.

8. little tike blog January 11, 2008 at 2:28 pm #

Great ideas I defiantly think No.1 is important when your dealing with anyone shouting never works and just inflames the situation. I think if everyone learnt this early on the world would be a better place.

9. Mr. Child Safety June 5, 2008 at 3:10 pm #

I like the just say no part. It’s hard sometimes because we are all being pulled in so many directions at once all day long. It’s good to just eliminate activities, accounts, and whatever is a time suck.

10. agentsully June 7, 2008 at 5:13 pm #

@Mr. Child Safety -thanks for sharing! Did you see the post on 78 Parent Child activities too?

11. Happy Papa July 6, 2008 at 1:45 pm #

Good ideas, thank you. No. 2 is very important.

12. grace July 7, 2008 at 9:59 pm #

Abolutely agree with you, no shouting, no pressure on grades. It is best to spend time with the kids and actually see what the kids had learnt rather than grades, since grades can be really subjective and artificial

13. agentsully July 9, 2008 at 8:31 pm #

@Grace- thank you for your support. Whenever I fail on the yelling thing, I instantly can see the hurt. Luckily, I rarely do it. I’ve learned to watch for weak moment triggers, like tiredness or hunger, and try to prevent them or be mindful if they are unavoidable.

14. Baby Boy Names January 19, 2009 at 4:26 am #

I like “tuck your kids into bed”. Sometimes I get too busy and I don’t find the time to tuck them to bed and when all is quiet I feel so guilty for not spending the time. Thanks for the reminder that there is more to life than providing for our kids.

15. agentsully January 24, 2009 at 10:20 pm #

@Baby Boy Names – thanks. I agree with you. It is such a big thing for them. It’s a no-brainer.